Straight Razor Shave Number 500

Mouette

This morning I did my 500 th shave with a straight razor.

Shave number one was back in January 2020 and it took me about 12 months to get to shave number 100. First shave was with Grandad's old Bengal. I had fallen into the wet shave rabbit hole a few months before and there was Grandad's old Bengal sitting in my box of razors just begging me to get it honed and have a go which I did. I can still remember that first shave, standing there in front of the mirror all lathered up, holding the razor and wondering how to actually do it. I was pretty scared and basically had no idea, despite having watched the usual Youtube videos.

By about shave number 30, I was starting to get the hang of it and had added a few more razors to my collection. A band spanking new Dovo plus a couple of Gold Dollar 66's which were mainly to learn honing on. By number 30 I had worked out the fool's pass and had my technique worked out.

Shave 100 saw a huge leap forward in technique and the learning curve had flattened a lot. Number of razors had grown, and I had a rotation of approximately 10 razors. My honing technique was still pretty basic, but then, honing was never a rabbit hole I was going to fall down. It's just a way of keeping the razors sharp. Even now, I can set a bevel and go through the progression but end up finishing the edge on pasted strops. I do want to get a good finishing stone such as an Arkansas, but the postal rules make getting them from America extremely difficult. JNats seem interesting but have absolutely no idea where to start. My honing works for me and I get some good edges, and hopefully it will improve as time goes on.

I went through a phase of about 6 to 8 months where I shaved with nothing but straights. These days I use DE's which is probably why it has taken me so long to clock up 500 shaves. I enjoy the DE journey also, although I haven't bought one for a couple of years now.

I have learnt a lot on my journey - how to hone, how to buy total pieces of crap from Ebay. You just couldn't imagine some of the duds I have bought! Stropping technique these days isn't too bad either.

This morning's shave was with a Famex Bagpiper razor, the first brush I bought, a Yaqi and Tweed Soap, which was what I used in my first shave.

Probably run out of milestones now but still looking forward to many more years of straight shaving.

cheers
Andrew

This morning I did my 500 th shave with a straight razor.

Congratulations Andrew. It's a fantastic journey, isn't it. At some point, great shaves become an afterthought, and it is the process itself that is so rewarding. Here's to many more delightful shaves.
I do want to get a good finishing stone such as an Arkansas, but the postal rules make getting them from America extremely difficult

There is an ebay.au seller that sells genuine translucent arks. He is based in Darwin and his prices are reasonable. They are Preyda stones, so personally I would stick to the translucents, but they are well worth the money. Once you spend the weekend lapping it, you are guaranteed fantastic edges that are a wonderful balance of crisp and gentle.

Congratulations @Mouette on your 500th. I will be hitting my 2000th about the middle of next year and still learning.

Here is an 8" hard black Arkansas available for Darwin. I bought one a while back and couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks rbsebu!
Just ordered myself a black Ark and it's on it's way.

Do they need lapping? Might get some tips from you on how to use as I haven't really used a finishing stone before. Currently have a 12k Shapton, but it doesn't really give a shave ready edge. Is it my technique or the stone? I have heard that the Naniwas are way superior. Which is why I finish on a cheap Chinese strop with the Dovo green paste and the black paste. It works for me, but would love to do it on a good finishing stone.

It might take me a while to get to 2000, but will get there.

cheers
Andrew

@Mouette, the instructions link provided by @silverlifter is what I do. Rather than a granite slab, I use a 30cm x 30cm smooth (not embossed) ceramic floor tile. It takes some effort to prepare the HBA but it is worth it.

Because you have been stropping on a pasted strop, you will have a convex surface on your bevels. You will need to very lightly kill (joint) the edge, reset the bevel and progress up through your whetstones as before.

Once you have worked through your whetstones, you then finish on the HBA. I use a 6% concentration of soluble oil as lubricant on the HBA when finishing. It takes some practise to get the best out of your HBA. Just maintain the edge on your HBA after each shave until you notice no further edge improvement.

I find that the HBA edge is almost as keen as a diamond pasted balsa edge and keener than what I can get off my Adaee #12000 or vintage coticule finishing whetstones.