Stupid sexy Blackland Blackbird! Need help to decide...or stop myself 🤣

dangerman

Long-time DE shaver dipping my toes back into the scene for a bit. My razor of choice is Rockwell 3C which works very well for me. It’s just doesn’t stir the loins so to speak like one razor.

The razor I'm tempted by is the Blackland Blackbird. I’ve been lusting for one going back to when I 1st saw one at a Sydney meetup many years ago. Been a bit hesitant due to cost and reputation for being tricky to tame. I’ve convinced from reading posts here that It’s not so tough to master after all.

I am after some advice re the Steel and Titanium versions. If I were to go steel it would be safety bar. Not sure about polished vs machined. That is one of my key things I’d like advice on. I like the look of machined but I’ve heard it’s not as smooth shaving. Probably standard size handle.

Another Option it the Lite Version but leaning towards the standard.

Tempted by titanium as well. I do love the look of titanium. To be honest it’s a very big stretch to justify the price, madness really. I try and justify it by telling myself I’ve never bought an expensive razor in my life; and I haven’t bought any razors for several years now. But I do love the look of it and the vibe on the forums seems pretty good but it could just be the new hotness swaying me. Would be like to hear on advice re polished or not. Just on looks I prefer the non polished one I think.

Money no object I'd go Titanium. But the price is getting eye watering by my standards, especially with the Aussie dollar conversion. Still I justify by saying it would be a lifetime of use and hopefully be "the one" really special razor in my small collection. So I won't rule Titanium out yet...sighhhh!

Just get a tried and true classic vintage Gillette - can't go wrong ;-)

I don't think anyone ever really regrets getting a Blackland razor. Or the money they've spent on it. Which, by comparison to something like a Wolfman, isn't that much. Re the finish, I'm happy with my machined Vector and Sabre, but I did spend 10 minutes or so with a sheet of 1200 grit wet and dry to refine the surface enough to remove the "grittiness" of the machined finish, but not to make it a truly polished surface. I'm not into bling.

Long-time DE shaver dipping my toes back into the scene for a bit. My razor of choice is Rockwell 3C which works very well for me. It’s just doesn’t stir the loins so to speak like one razor.

The razor I'm tempted by is the Blackland Blackbird. I’ve been lusting for one going back to when I 1st saw one at a Sydney meetup many years ago. Been a bit hesitant due to cost and reputation for being tricky to tame. I’ve convinced from reading posts here that It’s not so tough to master after all.

I am after some advice re the Steel and Titanium versions. If I were to go steel it would be safety bar. Not sure about polished vs machined. That is one of my key things I’d like advice on. I like the look of machined but I’ve heard it’s not as smooth shaving. Probably standard size handle.

Another Option it the Lite Version but leaning towards the standard.

Tempted by titanium as well. I do love the look of titanium. To be honest it’s a very big stretch to justify the price, madness really. I try and justify it by telling myself I’ve never bought an expensive razor in my life; and I haven’t bought any razors for several years now. But I do love the look of it and the vibe on the forums seems pretty good but it could just be the new hotness swaying me. Would be like to hear on advice re polished or not. Just on looks I prefer the non polished one I think.

Money no object I'd go Titanium. But the price is getting eye watering by my standards, especially with the Aussie dollar conversion. Still I justify by saying it would be a lifetime of use and hopefully be "the one" really special razor in my small collection. So I won't rule Titanium out yet...sighhhh!
Just get the Blackbird Standard and also add the Lite baseplate all in polished version, and you'll never look back or need another bloody razor.

NKzGGSp.jpg

I bit of shaving history...mostly too mild for me but cool nonetheless. My keyboard needs a clean.

I don't think anyone ever really regrets getting a Blackland razor. Or the money they've spent on it. Which, by comparison to something like a Wolfman, isn't that much. Re the finish, I'm happy with my machined Vector and Sabre, but I did spend 10 minutes or so with a sheet of 1200 grit wet and dry to refine the surface enough to remove the "grittiness" of the machined finish, but not to make it a truly polished surface. I'm not into bling.

Thanks Gargravarr I'm feeling a bit more confident with what you wrote. Did you do the whole head of the razor?

Just get the Blackbird Standard and also add the Lite baseplate all in polished version, and you'll never look back or need another bloody razor.

SpeedyPC that’s probably the smart way to go. I'll admit I did not consider two baseplates.

Still the call of Ti is strong.:)🙈🙉🙊

Steel machined about $312 AUD
Steel machined with extra base plate approx $411 AUD
Titanium Blackbird Satin about $500 AUD

Someone push me over the edge... 🤔
I know I should just walk away and never look back here again...too much temptation.

Steel machined about $312 AUD
Steel machined with extra base plate approx $411 AUD
Titanium Blackbird Satin about $500 AUD

Someone push me over the edge... 🤔
I know I should just walk away and never look back here again...too much temptation.
Add the polished Blackbird razor stand and forget about titanium crap

I'm hearing that in a Lord Voldemort voice for some reason. Must obey...blame imperius curse.

Will that fly with the wife? They made me do it!

Thanks Gargravarr I'm feeling a bit more confident with what you wrote. Did you do the whole head of the razor?
Just the top of the cap, the corners of the head and the handle. Definitely not the bar or any surfaces bearing on the blade. Just enough to make it smoother to hold, not enough to really remove machining marks.

@dangerman I have a blackbird in SS, a wolfman wr2 1.25 and my two favourite and both serve a different purpose but both are top class..

if you have been reading up on the BB and like what you read, you will love this razor. It is quite efficient but very smooth and safe thank, the geometry works. as long as you enjoy a little blade feel and make a nice lather you go no issues

your only real question is weight and material. I need a razor with a little weight for the shave and the feel.. I don't like light razors so the SS is a no brainer, its an awesome razor

good luck

The Blackbird razors receive a lot of love here and with good reason. I was tempted to buy the Blackbird in titanium too but ultimately went with the standard Stainless Steel Blackbird with the short handle and stand in the polished version. The the lite was released soon after so I and added that in a polished finish to the mix along with an EOL ERA razor.

It's a decent enough razor and was very great for me but it hasn't received much love since I bought my Lambda razors but to stay on topic I preferred the polished version because I liked the the look and feel of a polished razor I also have a (unconfirmed) feeling that the polished one has smoother edges and corners based on the fact that it has been somewhat polished and softened the edges a bit.
I personally feel that the lite plate does not dial down the feel of the blade enough to make it as comfortable as I would like it to be but that was not the design point of the lite as I am sure Shane wanted to keep the same feel and characteristics of the Blackbird consistent across the two plates.

I am not a fan of the stand and feel it could have been better made. The Vector and stand match so perfectly allowing the razor to sit firmly and cleanly within the stand hole and is nice and flush but on the Blackland its sits loosely and wobbles. This I believe is based on the fact that the bottom of the hole in the stand does not meet the shape of the handles bottom, I imagine it is also because of the lather/grip lines on the handles which may not help either.
If I were to make a stand for the Blackland I would try changing the bottom of the hole in the stand to meet the same shape as the handle and if need be cut the sidewalls of the hole in the stand to meet cutouts and in the handle. Clearly I am overthinking things here but I thought I would mention it.

The Blackland is certainly an efficient shaver particularly the standard plate which will mow down a significant amount of hair from its first pass where as the lite in my opinion will play a little catch up to the standard plate with the grain but will catch up on subsequent passes against the grain which is also where the slightly more mild feel comes to play, at least for me. The blade feel is ever present and serves as a constant reminder that it is there. It's a unique feeling razor and is capable of out shaving many razors but I have had more comfortable shaves with similar results if not better using other razors. (I know I am going to get shot here lol)
This could also be down to user preference, skills, skin and hair type so please do not be discouraged. It's clear you have had this razor on your mind for quite a while (Awesome of you to go to the Sydney meet up too) so you may perhaps never get that monkey off your back until you do. The Blackbird is overwhelmingly held in high regard here and as such many members own one with little to no complaints.

I will certainly have to revisit it at some point but it will have to be the shave after the next as someone has asked my opinion on another razor that I have and I would like to give them a more up to date opinion on.

I think we have all felt the strain of buying anything from overseas given our woeful Australian dollar doing so poorly thanks to our equally woeful government over the many years. At least Blackland have free international shipping.

I should probably mention that the Blackbird is completely different in blade feel and efficiency than the Rockwell 3C and Gillette Tech.
If it is not the right fit for you then you will have got the monkey off of your back and should have no troubles selling it here if need be.

Totally agree.

It doesn't matter what Blackland you get, you'll be happy with your purchase.

I've got both the Blackbird Titanium and the Era and both are fantastic.
Just get a tried and true classic vintage Gillette - can't go wrong ;-)
But then,

I also agree with this. My 1958 Gillette Fatboy or my 1937 Gillette Sheraton are always a pleasure to use and a hell of a lot cheaper.