Styptic Pencil/Stick OR Gel

renagade

My last styptic stick basically disintegrated from getting 2 wet. I've no idea how those things are supposed to get wet and last. Once they soak up the water they become a paste instead of a stick! (at least in the 1 stick I've had).
Does anyone have any preference of Gel or Stick/Pencil. Was I simply using the stick wrong? I would tip it out of it's little container hold one end with dry hands, dip the other end in some water and dab the nick on my face. I then replaced the stick and sealed with the lid. Came back to use it the next time and it was pretty squishy already.

Cheers

You need an alum block! Few bucks from bestshave.net, they're a decent size and they'll only shatter if you drop it. I love the burn, it's like punishment for shitty technique.

You need an alum block! Few bucks from bestshave.net, they're a decent size and they'll only shatter if you drop it. I love the burn, it's like punishment for shitty technique.

+ 1,

If alum and cold water can't stem the flow of blood, your in trouble.

Apparently the Proraso gel gets a good wrap. Although Ive never used it!

I have one, my old man has the other. They both look and work the same, so go for the cheaper one.

I've got both the Proraso gel and a pencil and don't use either. Have no idea why I got them. My only explanation is that both were in an actual shop and, being confronted with real life gear right in front of me, I couldn't help myself. I use cold water and an alum block. Any blood after that and it's Norman Gunston time with the wee bits of bog paper.

I should have said "I always have owned" proraso gel. I think ive used it twice.

I understand that an alum block is supposed to stop irritation etc, but I've also heard it stings. Does it make your face red?

I meant like a rash, kind of like razor burn.

It stings where it's meant to. Basically a poor man's aftershave. Instead of an alcohol disinfection, it's alum (a salt) doing the work. If you've had an average shave with a bad or aging blade, just like aftershave, it'll let you know.

I should have said "I always have owned" proraso gel. I think ive used it twice.

Same here... Except I've only ever needed it when travelling (presumably because it doesn't exert its fluence sufficiently from home to prevent the need) as a result I now have a book of styptic matches in my travel kit...