Synth for a newbe.

Sxot

Artisan Producer
I had a mate ask if he could try some of my "real shave soap" but he doesn't have a brush. I was going to loan him one of mine but thought it might be better if he started with a Synth so I want to buy him one.

Unfortunatly TSW 24mm is out of stock and other Aussie suppliers brushes are too expensive. The next port of call is Razorock Plissoft. Is it still getting rave reviews?

If you have an Australian stocked alternative for under $30 I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

I had a mate ask if he could try some of my "real shave soap" but he doesn't have a brush. I was going to loan him one of mine but thought it might be better if he started with a Synth so I want to buy him one.

Unfortunatly TSW 24mm is out of stock and other Aussie suppliers brushes are too expensive. The next port of call is Razorock Plissoft. Is it still getting rave reviews?

If you have an Australian stocked alternative for under $30 I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

Go to www.thestraywhisker.com.au and get him to buy one of the stray whisker brand synth brushes. can buy a 22mm and a 24mm perfect for newbs. my no1 recomendation

That's what I'm finding.... no Aussie stocks.
So Razorock Plissoft from the Italian Barber then? I did read somewhere that it is lacking in back bone...

So Razorock Plissoft from the Italian Barber then? I did read somewhere that it is lacking in back bone...
correct with lack of backbone.

if u can get ahold of something with a game changer knot u will be happy

I have the 22mm disruptor and 26mm monster, both are great to use. The disruptor is a little less springy than the monster, but both damn easy to use and pleasurable. I'd go the RR brushes over the maggards, but they'll be the same fibres, just different suppliers (most synth knots are just the same fibre recoloured).

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/shave-brushes/

Much better than anything from Joe at IB, in the absence of anything available in Australia.

@Sxot the Stirling synthetic brush 26/54mm perform better than the RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic 24/57mm because I've sold my RazoRock Plissoft last year because of backbone & splaying issue, so last year I ordered the Stirling synthetic brush 26/54mm because there is no lacking in backbone and splaying issue when I face lather and this is my current travel brush.

For a cheaper option I have heard good things about the medium Omega synths around 24mm size. Avoid the larger ones though (apparently - again I've not tried myself). Perhaps some here can verify?

It does lack a little in backbone, but for a newbie it is excellent. Easily creates a superb lather and feels cloud like.
I'd be surprised if no one here has one going spare.

@Sxot here a picture taken few minutes ago FYI for a closer look
kkQnZaJ.jpg

I just did a count up of brushes and I have 10 various boars, badgers and synths in total with a few more on the way.
In all honesty the best brush I have used (all be it only twice as It's a few days old) is the razorock monster synth. The thing is big and bad ass, you can't make a bad lather with it. It has twice the backbone as the original plisson and it is softer than any badger.
I think I got it on sale for something like 11.99 from Italian barber, obviously shipping and conversion makes it a bit more expensive but it will be my daily no doubt about it.

I've got a second mate wanting to try wet shaving now! I'd better get some brushes in!
@Sxot just the synthetic brushes I wouldn't worry too much about boar and badger for a while, until these wet shavers are really interesting moving over from cartridge razors to safety razor, shavette and straight razors etc etc etc.

The cheapest synthetic brush on the market is the Whipped Dog from Larry