Synthetic Brushes

Great news mate. Now watch how none of us will find them in the L'Occy stores!
BTW: is it soft on the face or is there a bit of scratch?

It is really soft actually but if you back off the pressure you can sort of use it a bit like a pencil, well crayon, well not quite that either.

But it is soft and luxurious.

It is just different and it took me a while to get over that, hey, who likes change?

The only thing that doesn't change is change a wise Chinese man once said.

Thanks for the nudge in the first place, Stills.

It is really soft actually but if you back off the pressure you can sort of use it a bit like a pencil, well crayon, well not quite that either.

But it is soft and luxurious.

It is just different and it took me a while to get over that, hey, who likes change?

The only thing that doesn't change is change a wise Chinese man once said.

Intrigued. I'll check out the L'Occy store in Canberra next week...

Thanks for the nudge in the first place, Stills.
Mate I had the easy job. But my small role was an absolute pleasure.

Reminds me of something I have as well :)
Yeah I didn't see that one comin'….but now that's it's landed I'm not surprised by where it was launched from :LOL:

I knew it reminded me of something @gthomas04 , soft yet stiff, firm but gentle,

Turgid with its expectant release of soapy goodness

I just couldn't get a handle on what it was, but now I have and I get it......

Oh yeah, baby.........................
angryfap_zpse7c1f959.gif

Very, very French.

Sorry for any subtle innuendo but I always wanted to use that Giff.

Smut alert!
Ummmm….sorry fellas, my last bit there weren't supposed to come out as it did on the second - too late to edit - reading. Maybe Freud was onto something after all….:blush:

I thought we were talking about GTs wife but after that last message, maybe not. Or is Marlow out dogging in GT's back yard?

I reckon that this is an exceptional brush in many ways.

Everything has gone well except GFT Sandalwood but I have the same problem with every brush.

I am gonna grate it because it just takes too long to get a good lather but I love the smell. Any hints?

I have used a few soaps over the last few days and all work well with this synthetic except that GFT stuff.

I tried some Palmolive cream today , you know that cheap supermarket stuff and it was bloody excellent. ( I used the Feather AC, SS)

I wonder at times about some of the expensive stuff compared to the so called cheap shit.

I did get on with cheap brushes for about 30 years with no complaints but now I am getting all picky and discerning.

Shit happens someone once said.

Never got a decent lather with GFT veggie base soaps. Tried a couple, both shit. Grate it and leave some water on it and use it for a few days to get it going? I do that with Harris, which is very hard, but it's tallow.

Some pricey stuff is good, but I think you're paying for the wide choice of scents and brands cache - whatever they feel that to be. The Brit stuff is old, and touts the London history. The Italian stuff is suave and Italian (think Aqua parma).

I like TOBS creams and they're reasonably priced. I think the hidden treasures like Speick and Proraso work better, or at least as well as pricey stuff. There's inexpensive, and there's cheap shit.

Yeah mate, that Speick stuff just works every time and so do others of course including the Proraso that I have but I am rather new to all this fancy stuff, some of which I just love.

But the cheap shit like Palmolive was really good to use and I had been relegating it to the back because I was becoming a fucking shaving snob.

I know what you are saying though. I must try some TOB's I guess, but I have so much stuff it will surely last a fair while, and most of it is ok.

Thanks for your thoughts Drubbing.

I did another Palmolive cream today just to make sure I wasn't dream'n and it worked great with the brush and used a( Futur Razor with PSS). Yeah, I prefer Speik and stuff but this stuff works really well for the less pretentious shaves.

Whatever works is good but where you draw the line is also good. Directions are where we tend to go and hopefully not blindly follow.

Palmolive is good, it just has a smell instead of an aroma.

A bit like Arko in that regard, although the smell is different.

If you are ever short a few quid, godrej menthol from your local Indian store is normally just a couple of bucks

Starting to marshal together inventory for my trip up North. Still not quite settled on the razor (most likely the Slim), nor software for that matter - but this is the Brush Forum so they are of no consequence (like that one Moods?). Noting the humidity up Cairns way I'm thinking a synthetic brush would be a wise investment even for sheer drying capabilities….and still prove handy back home too. After a couple of days going round the buoy I'm thinking a Muhle STF2 - what do you fellas reckon? While you're still scratching your heads, any opinions on the knot size - 19, 21, 23, 25? I'm sorta stuck between the 21 and 23 to be honest. I, like most us normal guys, like soft tips (conceding a little scratch), healthy backbone and will not stand for a limp floppy brush. I assumed either of these two knots would be a good compromise between face feel while being big enough to hold the amount of lather I need for 3+ passes. FYI - my preferred brushes so far are Simpsons Classic and Duke 2. Hope you'll chime in - esp. if you are familiar with synths.

Grazia

Last edited:
Review: Synthetic Pur Tech (Chinese) brush

I purchased this brush for less than $10 (delivered) on eBay from a Chinese seller. They were recommended on another shaving forum. It's advertised as Pur Tech synthetic fibre which is the type of synthetic fibre that is branded by Frank Shaving (a known Chinese shaving company). So it's either a knock off copy or an on-sold product. Either way it's a cheap synthetic that's know a to be reasonable. (The FS Pur Tech synthetics are reasonably good in all the reviews I have read/watched.)

A smallish handle (about 50mm) with a high loft (about 55mm). The resin handle is a good weight and although small, doesn't detract from using it. The synthetic fibres are springy and soft.

It takes only a few decent swirls to gain significant soap for lathering. It lathers like a charm with minimal effort. A synthetic doesn't need soaking and retains less water than natural hair so it's not particular warm lather. That said, there's more than enough water for a thick, smooth lather. It had no problems with either a croap or hard glycerin soap.

Face lathering brought out the main weakness for me: too much spring in the fibres. The backbone was good, but the fibres are too 'stiff' and don't splay without a bit too much pressure applied. So you had to mash it a bit when face lathering. If you mostly 'paint' the lather then you'll enjoy it as it works well. Related to this was the uniformity of the fibres. I love the natural character of the natural bristles which - when applying to the face - go in all directions. So the feeling on the face wasn't too my liking. (I'm holding higher hopes for the Muhle and Plisson synthetics in this regard.)

After the shave, it rinsed no worries. After a few shakes, a gentle brush on the towel and a couple of hours later it's bone dry. Nice for travelling...

Strengths:
- good value for money
- economical with soap
- great for lathering (ie does it's job as a brush)
- quick drying

Weaknesses:
- fibres were too springy for my liking
- no character (too perfect or uniform)

Summary
Recommended for value for money but not as a replacement for your current brushes. I'll use it regularly but it's not going to be my regular go-to brush. It will be a great travel brush, especially since it's cheap and quick drying. The synthetic fibres offer great advantages but this particular brush doesn't give me the character of natural bristles. I remain curious about the higher price (and quality) synthetics (Plisson, Muhle fibres).

The brush in question
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410676681.230635.jpg

Compared to a boar (Omega 48) and Badger (FS ST)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410676713.249902.jpg