Tallow based soaps

Normie

After hearing so much about animal fat/tallow based soaps from @alfredus in the p&c travelling box, I'm curious to know what the popular tallow based soaps are. Are they hard puck type soaps, or creams? Or does it not matter? What are others opinions of them? I've only used proraso and shaver heaven so far, how do they compare with these?

You sure you want to step into the mine field? lol

Like blades, it's driven by personal choice and opinion. Personally I love tallow based soaps and they are my favourite. Now, the caveat, I still very highly rate and love some vegan soaps like SH, Caties, WSP etc. (others will say some euro brands that I haven't tried - /me looks at @stillshunter ). For popular ones, you can easily find them in the "my favourite soap" threads. Usually you will find some standouts like MWF, Barrister and Mann, Stirling, CRSW, Mikes. Honestly, there is very little between them and comes down to what qualities you like (cushion/slickness/scent etc.).

Usually you will find some standouts like MWF, Barrister and Mann, Stirling, CRSW, Mikes.

Just to make the list look more readable and add 2 more of my favourites. I will group them together if they are affected by hard water (ie harder to lather, if you have hard water) - in alphabetical order:

No/little issues with hard water:
Barrister and Man
Cold River Soap Works
Haslinger
Stirling

Need longer loading with hard water:
Mike's Natural
Mitchells Wool Fat

Can be challenging with hard water:
Mystic Waters

The difference in my opinion is the lather itself. Animal fat lathers are more like a runny custard - or like gelato that is just melting down your cone. Vegan lathers are more like meringue or beaten egg whites. Also animal fat lathers (usually) can take (way) more water without collapsing. This give you added slickness without loosing cushion.

In addition - the soaps mentioned above all have a great to fantastic post shave feel.

All of the above are in my opinion stellar soaps - just get 2 of each for starters :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Then there are the traditional tallow soaps like Tabac Cella and Arko

I'd add Wickhams in here too.

Because I do NOT need a fat free soap.
MMMMMMM Tallow!

...and Shaver Heaven announced less than 30 minutes ago they're releasing a Tallow soap :D

omgsamanddean.gif

Just to make the list look more readable and add 2 more of my favourites. I will group them together if they are affected by hard water (ie harder to lather, if you have hard water)...
Great summary and notes @alfredus - very helpful comments that are measured and clear. You've spelt out clearly why tallow soaps are popular without making it an "us or them" issue. [emoji106]

I would suggest that post-shave properties will lessen the need for Balm.

Is there a balm?
I would suggest just grabbing it and another soap to maximise postage.
If he does release the balm, you can do the same again with perhaps one of the upcoming releases :)