The beginning of my straight razor adventure

urnme

So it begins...

Today I have ordered from whippeddog.com :

2 x Straight razors, cosmetic flaws (full hollow, half hollow)
1 x Poor Man strop kit (includes leather strop, balsa strop)
1 x Additional Poor Man leather strop

< $100 Delivered!

I bought 2 razors, so I can learn to shave with one, then once it's in need of honing, I can use it to learn honing and switch to the other razor for shaving.

Larry was really helpful, responded straight away to emails and was generally a nice guy.

Interesting site, will have to look at this in the future.

I'm keen to hear of your journey!

There are a lot of good reviews of his work on other forums. The razors won't be pretty, but should be perfectly acceptable for shaving.

I figure I will probably wreck the first one I use while learning. If I do end up getting into straight shaving there are plenty of upgrades to buy...

Good luck with it urnme. It's a bit intimidating at the start but you'll get the hang of it no doubt.

I dealt with Larry when I started out too. Top bloke.

I'll be fun. Just take it slow. You don't have to shave your full face the 1st time. Try the easy parts 1st. Down from the sideburns; down the cheeks. Do a little each day until you feel more and more confident.
While you're waiting, practice Stropping. Hang a belt from a wall hook and use a butter knife on the backside of it. It's harder than it looks. Good luck.

Awesome stuff mate you be doing the dead mans pass in no time

I'll be fun. Just take it slow. You don't have to shave your full face the 1st time. Try the easy parts 1st. Down from the sideburns; down the cheeks. Do a little each day until you feel more and more confident.
While you're waiting, practice Stropping. Hang a belt from a wall hook and use a butter knife on the backside of it. It's harder than it looks. Good luck.

I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a go.

This arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm both excited and scared at the same time.

I'll wait till the weekend to have a shave, incase I cut my face off.

Practice on your leg or arm. Diesnt matter if you cut those off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interested in trying a straight edge razor. I am keen on buying one, even if I use it once or twice and then go back to the DE shave. If I never use it again I'd like to keep it around as an heirloom, something to pass onto my son or son-in-law.
I will probably buy one from Whipped Dog as I've heard good things about him from /r/Wicked_Edge.

I've a lot of respect for folks who use these but its a bridge too far for me. Between the setup costs, hassle with maintaining the razor and the huge potential for giving yourself the mother of all 'weepers'. But like I said I've the world of respect for folks who go down this path. The jump from carts to DE's is very small compared to DE's to straights.

Or just maybe he is so busy faceturbating from the excellent shaves he is getting that he hasnt had time to post!

My first shave ready straight came from Larry, closely followed by some ebay specials graciousy honed for me by another B&B member.

Very good choice going to Larry for starting out!