The housing shuffle

Hasn't it ever! It's hard to get your bearings sometimes. If anyone is making it out even or on top right now they should be bloody proud.
If I where to do it over again starting now i wouldn’t buy in a capital city- Sydney and Melbourne are cooked and Canberra isn’t far behind.
The place I bought was 650k and based on my experience as an agent and my own research that was maybe 10-15k off market value, now however estimates are up to 790k- it’s truely shocking, and pretty vulgar.
My family bought a 2 bedroom apartment for my brother and his girlfriend last month purely out of FOMO- the way this market is going had we left it they would have been priced out of the market in a year.

Tassie is looking pretty good to me currently, actually tassie always looks good to me..

Tassie is looking pretty good to me currently, actually tassie always looks good to me..

Says everyone who doesn't live here. The locals are rapidly being priced out of the market. The purchase prices are lower than the stupidity that is Sydney and Melbourne, but the wages are also lower and access to services can be poor.

I look at prices around Hobart and cannot believe they are asking, and getting, that much. Add to that prices are rising very fast down here making it worse.

Says everyone who doesn't live here. The locals are rapidly being priced out of the market. The purchase prices are lower than the stupidity that is Sydney and Melbourne, but the wages are also lower and access to services can be poor.

I look at prices around Hobart and cannot believe they are asking, and getting, that much. Add to that prices are rising very fast down here making it worse.
We have some family down Hobart way and yeah they are priced out and doomed to rent due to their lifestyle requirements however some of the rural blocks I’ve seen are stunning, I need that bug out cabin when the mainland goes too crazy.
Plus I don’t think NZ will have me anymore..

Tasmania is a terrible place, stay away. Whenever the wildlife isn't trying to kill you, the weather is. This is most of just one branch that got torn off a tree by the breeze two nights ago, landing 300m away on top of my wife's car:

branch.jpg

Tasmania is a terrible place, you don't want to come here... ;)

Tasmania is a terrible place, stay away. Whenever the wildlife isn't trying to kill you, the weather is. This is most of just one branch that got torn off a tree by the breeze two nights ago, landing 300m away on top of my wife's car:

You dont want to run out of fire wood either which looks like you are OK for a few weeks (y)

branch.jpg

Ah yes. I’ll avoid the obviously generous land who is actively giving you firewood.
Sounds woeful.
For real though, glad you guys are okay.
A place near us took a branch to the roof so they have had a tarp roof for the last 6 months..

You dont want to run out of fire wood either which looks like you are OK for a few weeks (y)
Yeah, it's kind of useful when my firewood sort of drops in my lap like that (Mrs Gargravarr would not agree in this case, as her car is a bit squished). A forest on the side of a mountain presents all sorts of difficulties when getting firewood where you can process it..

Ah yes. I’ll avoid the obviously generous land who is actively giving you firewood.
Sounds woeful.
For real though, glad you guys are okay.
A place near us took a branch to the roof so they have had a tarp roof for the last 6 months..
Yeah, roofs can be a bit exciting around here. This valley generates sort of tornado-like winds that have left bits of people's roofs in lots of paddocks. One couple had to make three attempts at construction of their house for that reason. On the final attempt, they physically bolted the roof-trusses to the concrete pad with long lengths of all-thread.

On a separate note, anybody have experience living in Port Macquarie? We are considering a big sea change. My wife and I are in our early 40s with two young (6 & 8) children. The beachside lifestyle looks very appealing, but the "retirement town" label is putting us off somewhat. Any thoughts appreciated.

P.S. I've never even been there, but my wife used to holiday there as a kid. Work would not be an issue to deal with.

Plus I don’t think NZ will have me anymore..
Awww mate...we'd love to have you.
Nelson area is nice (I live there!).
Stay away from those pricks in Auckland though.
Selfish sods all doing a runner now as Covid rears up again.
Yeah, great idea...have Covid so bug out to other parts and help to spread the bug further/faster.
No wonder we call them Dorklanders.