Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
The Phoenix Dbl OC Safety Razor

http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/products/the-phoenix-dbl-oc-safety-razor
phoenix_OC_safety_Razor.png

It looks masculine, doesn't it ?
Like it would give The Bloodletter (R41 2011 edition for newer members) a solid run for it's money.
And as for the marketing spiel, it must effortlessly coax away the hair for BBS at a minimum, if you are to believe the hype.

It doesn't!
Absolutely fails in dismal fashion.
I could speculate and state this is a result of marketing over substance and performance, yet will leave that for others...

First, double open comb is a great theory, yet guess what happens to the lather ?
Self lubricating = clogs up.
Well nothing like a disposable, yet never less, a lacking solid top plate reduces the directionality of the lather and it just sticks around like an untimely and unwelcome fart !

Efficient you ask ? Ha!
Four passes and the result is akin to a Gillette Super Adjustable/Slim on 9 after it's first pass, I kid you not!
Oh ok, it must be smooth then, right ?
Bzzzt, try again, as I would reach for The Bloodletter before this.

As for the angle, it is a very slim zone where it performs at all and due to the design, the combs teeth if moved at any speed are prone to try and airate your skin (slickness was not the issue during testing, as I kept struggling with grip of the brush) !

Equipment I tried include vintage Wilkinson Swords, vintage Wisamets and modern Polsilvers, both with factory handle and an aftermarket ikon long handle.

My gratitude and thanks goes out to this razors owner @filobiblic who saved me from a purchase for all intent and purposes, I would regret.

I respectfully disagree with nearly every point.

So interesting to hear your experience @borked! Thanks for the review.

The P-DoC is well known to be a very mild shaver. That means if paired with a sharp blade (Feather, Polsilver) it should produce a smooth and comfortable shave. But as you state, it's not your desired mode of shaving. You prefer the R41 efficiency of a razor. That's YMMV of course!

I respectfully disagree with nearly every point.
I agree with @MrT. I have found this to be a very comfortable open comb razor. It is easy to use and the double comb leaves small trails of lather that help you buff repeatedly.

I guess that some will always prefer an efficient razor that requires fewer passes, and others will prefer a more comfortable razor that needs a few solid passes for a good result. Long live the variety! [emoji13]

Actually, I'm not the R41's biggest fan.
My go to is a slim with a sharp blade or a wtg with my 37c if I've gone a few days.
I like smooth/mild and efficient too ;)
Just can not for the life of me find any effectiveness with this.

My thoughts:

- Whilst the razor looks 'eye catching' I don't like it's aesthetics at all - but thats obviously an 'each to his own' kinda thang.
- Looks manufactured by the same Indian factories that have made so many of the other individual retailer branded razors e.g Maggards, Matador etc - not a bad thing but I'd expect pretty patchy quality control.
- Whilst I think it's a nice idea to go back and find this brilliant design idea that was 'buried' by the Gillette juggernaut to keep it from undermining their products - I do tend to think that it's actual advantages from it's design are minimal or non-existant and essentially it's just a mild OC razor - and there's nothing wrong with that. But world's best buffing razor or some design genius etc I highly doubt.........but before you call me sceptical remember the tale of the boy who cried wolf and that this razor does come from the very same chap who was at the centre HTGAM/PPF scandal. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..... :cautious:

So I'd say it's an eye catching mild OC razor of relatively average level build quality, nothing horrible. Anyway is nice to know it's liked by a few folks.

Gave it another go last night.
Tries acute, midship and obtuse angles, both buffing and longer strokes, using both it's supplied handle ans the ikon long and heavy one too.
Could hear it singing as if it's trying to do something.
Only reaulted in irritation and reaffirmation of my above review.

I don't see the benefit of a double comb, and its appearance whilst a novelty and certainly eye catching, is simply confusing.

I don't see the benefit of a double comb, and its appearance whilst a novelty and certainly eye catching, is simply confusing.
It leaves streaks of lather behind after a pass.

Here's an example of it in action:

The P-DoC makes an AWESOME 3rd pass and cleanup razor, i prefer pass's 1 & 2 to be more aggressive so use a slant or o/c R41. But the best combo of both worlds that ive got is my Parker 26C. Doess passes 1&2 and clean up with the benefits of leaving thoes streaks that P-DoC give me too. Very nice, BSS on my most sensetive neck area without nicks & irrittation

So the double comb leaves lather streaks so you can go over an area lots of times without relathering?

Meh. I do that with my razors. Have done from day dot. If your lather is good enough it still leaves your face slippery when you've shaved it off.