The sampler pack from hell

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Well, someone on the forums wanted a sampler pack. They already had the shaving.ie pack (Derby, Personna, Astra SP, Yellows, Greens, Timor, Feathers), and funnily enough I also have all those blades in serious bulk too, so this pack could have been another 50 blades bigger! It's already the biggest sampler thus far.

This is what they are getting:
  • 2x 5pk Voskhod (10 total)
  • 10pk Rapira S/S
  • 5pk Rapira Platinum Lux
  • 5pk Rapira Swedish Supersteel
  • 5pk Ladas
  • 5pk Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Blacks)
  • 5pk Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Indian Greens)
  • 5pk Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian Wilks)
  • 5pk Gillette Dark Platinum
  • 5pk Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (NOS)
  • 5pk Gillette Super Thins (Vietnamese)
  • 5pk Shark S/S
  • 5pk Lord Platinum
  • 10pk Crystal (Blue IP, Israeli Personna)
  • 5pk German Wilkinson Sword (German Wilks)
  • 10pk Dorco ST-301
  • 5pk SuperMax Super Platinum
  • 10pk SuperMax Super Stainless
  • 5pk SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinums
  • 10pk Topaz Platinum
  • 10pk Gillette Bleue Extra (NOS)

TOTAL 140 Blades. I charge my samplers at 30c/blade including postage. $42 total. The shaving.ie sampler is 37c/blade before postage costs.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
I had some loose blades, so 1 each of
  • Bolzano
  • Lord Super Stainless
  • Medical Personna
  • Barber Personna
  • Gilette White Platinum which cost me $1.10 per blade to get alone ;)

PLUS I'm even throwing in two 10packs of Fakeidiums for another 20 blades (quality of those ones is definitely not guaranteed.....) so 165 blades for $42 posted is 25.5c/blade each. There is somewhere over 3 years of shaves there if you were to use a blade per week.

To the anonymous shaver, have fun. I haven't tried half these blades yet myself!

Yes mate, I can get pretty close to that again, plus the standards (Personna, Derby, Feather, Astra, Russian Greens + Yellows, Timor).

That would be a 190-blade explosion, yours for $57 posted. I am sure I would have a few loose/free ones to lubricate a deal. Even a basic pack gets free Fakeidiums.

The next available time for me to send these out would be Monday 20th as I am flying to Brisbane for work in the morning. I should also have Gillette 365's by then.

About the only thing I don't have in any quantity are the Dark Platinums (about 15 blades left) and some of the Lord variant brands. I've also noticed that I am getting low on a few other blades. Time to restock when I get back.

is going to need some storage space....
...and to start having more DE shaves (bye bye Hydro5)

I just got two of those in the post as some promo freebie thing - I gave them away to blokes at work who love cart razors.

Five blades? I lol'd.

I roll with one blade, mofo.

i got mine for free too, actually gives a nicer shave with less irritation than my mach3 or quattro. plus it's fool-proof so it's my razor for work days where i don't have the time to DE

I just can't bring myself to use a cart any more.

I've developed a loathing for them and I mock them as I pass them in the supermarket now.

Yes mate, I can get pretty close to that again, plus the standards (Personna, Derby, Feather, Astra, Russian Greens + Yellows, Timor).

That would be a 190-blade explosion, yours for $57 posted. I am sure I would have a few loose/free ones to lubricate a deal. Even a basic pack gets free Fakeidiums.

The next available time for me to send these out would be Monday 20th as I am flying to Brisbane for work in the morning. I should also have Gillette 365's by then.

About the only thing I don't have in any quantity are the Dark Platinums (about 15 blades left) and some of the Lord variant brands. I've also noticed that I am getting low on a few other blades. Time to restock when I get back.

Cool, I'll take one. PM the details for the transfer.:cool:

I just can't bring myself to use a cart any more.

I've developed a loathing for them and I mock them as I pass them in the supermarket now.
I mock them, and the WS DE blades for $11 at coles as well.
With all the razors and blades I have (maybe more razors than most, definitely not more blades than some though), I have no excuse not to use them instead of a cartridge.
I only have red pack personnas, Israeli super plats, feathers, astra and gem SE in bulk, and only a few iridiums, bleue and some others.
Heaps of razors though. Stick with the gem 1900, 1912 and micromatic clog pruf, and the gillette new improved, new, red tip ss, tech, slim adjustable ready to use.
The other 30 odd razors are packed in their case and brought out if I'm bored and feel like a change.

Glad it made you for the weekend. There is plenty to try there, you will have to step up your shaves, do it more often!

Yeah tell me about it!
Had another DE shave this morning, onto my second Astra SP blade. Went for face lathering with the 1305 instead of the previously used bowl lathering and just got enough for 3 passes. Probably need more technique with both forms of lathering (still using creams) but i'm not seeing mountains of lather, could also be the brush.

Quite a nice shave though, not quite DFS but definitely good - still not happy with results around the chin however. Very minimal irritation and no bleeders (after a cold-water splash).

Will get another shave 'in the bag' tomorrow, any suggestions for blade? Voshkod, 7OC Yellow/Green/Black, other?

I would run the Astra out - find out how many shaves you can get from it, see how it performs as it gets more shaves under it's belt. That's why you need to actually DE shave on weekdays too - will help with technique and also you will get the most out of your blades and creams.

Just get up a bit earlier.... It isn't that hard :D

I would probably get a feel for some of the 'different' blades before going to the Yellows/Greens/Permasharps/Blacks/GBE/Plats zone. All the Gillette blades are good or very good, and from my experience most shavers will find a blade in that lot that they like or enjoy.

I would suggest the following order (probably 2 blades of each to get a feel), and this has some ups and downs in it, so you will notice the odd less-sharp blade):
  • Topaz Platinum (Indian local market blade)
  • SuperMax Super Stainless
  • SuperMax Super Platinum
  • SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinums
  • Dorco ST-301
  • Lord Super Stainless (single)
  • Shark S/S
  • Lord Platinum
  • Barber Personna (single)
  • Rapira S/S
  • Rapira Swedish
  • Rapira Platinum
  • Ladas
  • Voskhod
  • Try another Astra SP here if you have any left
  • Crystal
  • Try a Red Personna here if you have some left
  • Medical Personna (single)
  • Gillette White Platinum (single)
  • Gillette Dark Platinum
  • Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (NOS)
  • German Wilkinson Sword (German Wilks)
  • Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian Wilks)
  • Gillette 7OC Permasharp (Indian Greens)
  • Gillette 7OC SuperPlats (Blacks)
  • Gillette Super Thins
  • Bolzano (Single)
  • GBE's (ideally in a slim or fatboy, set it to 6)

Only a suggested list, but it does ebb and flow. There is a couple of obvious pullbacks in the list:
  • the Supermax Blue Diamonds are sharp yet the Dorcos are very smooth by comparison
  • the Rubies are not as good all around as the Dark Plats but the German Wilk after it will more than likely be better all around
  • the Indian Wilk is probably sharper yet less smooth than the Germans.
The idea is to point out some marked differences. Should keep you interested anyway!