The Semogue 730HD - Lather Monsta!

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
In a moment of weakness, while ordering the outstanding Semogue 830 boar brush, I decided it needed a partner in crime. The obvious matching brush to choose was the 730 Silvertip Badger - similar hexagonal clear acrylic handle, but the knot set with set with Black glue compared to the 830's very attractive red glue.

Then, in a moment of complete and utter craziness, I instead selected the 730HD with even more high quality silvertip badger hair stuck into the 22mm knot. And that moment of craziness proved to be a moment of pure brilliance and genius.

Upon taking the brush from the package after arrival, I knew instantly that this was a brush to be reckoned with. A rather pointy, straight-up bulb of badger hair with quite stupidly high density laid before my rather wide eyes. I could tell that the backbone in this brush was well in excess of the rather floppy Muhle Best Badger which seemed to do an excellent job on getting creams worked into a lovely velvet-like lather.

After rushing home with it, I rinsed it out and soaked it for 5 minutes in warm water. Upon removing it from the water and gently shaking it out, my jaw hit the floor from the bloom that started taking shape right there. And this had not seen any soap yet!

Time to see how this brush performs. I pulled no punches and reached for my Kent-branded shave soap.... which is actually re-branded Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave soap, also known MWF or more affectionately as 'The Fat'. This soap is known to bring brushes to their knees with it's triple-milled hardness and rather finicky lathering properties.

After a 20-second load with a bit more moisture in the brush than I would usually have, I had a wonderful crema pickup and started working a hand-lather. Adding the abnormally hard water that I am supplied here, the brush did all the work and within 30 seconds I had a brush chock-full of lather plus a hand totally coated with great globs of slippery lather. And on the first 'washout' lather!

Since then, it goes from strength to strength. TOBS Sandalwood exploded in an almost atomic way unlike it ever did with the Muhle. Less than a half-dozen lathers under it's belt and I am calling it broken in.

If you are looking for a silvertip badger brush with serious backbone to rival many boars, yet downy-soft tips with premium hair density, the 730HD should definitely be on your list.

Nice work mate.

Any chance of a pic with it loaded?

No pressure, just next time you think of it...I'd like to see how it looks that's all.

Last edited:
Without further ado, I give you BATTLE OF THE SEMOGUES: 730HD vs 830

730HDvs830_1.png

Here they are, side by side. 730HD on the left, 830 on the right. 830 looking a bit shaggy.

730HDvs830_2.png

Another overhead shot to try an illustrate density of the badger knot.

730HDvs830_3.png

Soaked and ready to lather! Note the density remains in the 730, even when wet.

730HDvs830_4.png

Lathered up with TOBS Rose, equal measured amounts. 730HD was lathered first so the 830 should be better in the same bowl, but alas!

730HDvs830_5.png

Lather squeezout of the 730HD

730HDvs830_6.png

And with the 830. Noticeably less.

730HDvs830_7.png

Rinsed and all shook out, back on the shelf. That bloom is, well, bloomin' beautiful.

Yeah, I reckon a dense badger will always hold more lather. Trouble is, that's what they do - hold it. It's only when you squeeze them they let it all out. You can usually get enough for 4-5+ passes from a badger, but who's going to do that? My Rooney would whip up a mountain of the stuff from little product, relative to a boar, but I ended up wasting a lot of it. While I might use more with a boar, I use it all.

(The 830 looks cooler IMO. Badgers are just so...perfect).

Nice to have both anyway. Sometimes you just want something completely different, and they're both that.

Wow.

That really does paint the 730 as a winner, doesn't it?

Both are nice brushes.

Thanks for the pics razormonsta. I have no regrets with an 830 as my first brush but I can see what might be my next one...

Yeah, I reckon a dense badger will always hold more lather. Trouble is, that's what they do - hold it. It's only when you squeeze them they let it all out.
This one releases quite well, so does my Muhle Pure. It is much more controlled than the boars though, however I must say the 830 doesn't dump lather like my Omega 29 does.

You can usually get enough for 4-5+ passes from a badger, but who's going to do that? My Rooney would whip up a mountain of the stuff from little product, relative to a boar, but I ended up wasting a lot of it. While I might use more with a boar, I use it all. (The 830 looks cooler IMO. Badgers are just so...perfect).
I actually lathered the same amount of cream with each, although I lathered the 730 first, then the 830 had a bit in the bowl to add to it. So on a product usage basis, the 730 is more efficient.

I must say that I usually shave 2-3 passes, then just lather my face at the end with what's left because it feels nice. Women spend $100 a throw for facials, we can just rub some cream and a brush on our face!

Nice to have both anyway. Sometimes you just want something completely different, and they're both that.
Definitely. It's a nice pigeon pair of brushes. The 2020 and 2000 would be another one if you like the wooden handles. I don't as they tend to float, whereas the acrylic sinks and kees the knot under water while soaking.

You also have the new SOC brushes in both badger and boar with the same handles too.

Wow.
That really does paint the 730 as a winner, doesn't it?
Both are nice brushes.
Sure are. The 830 does great on the MWF whereas the 730 struggles a bit but still does miles better than the Muhle Pure.

The 730 really works magic on creams. The photos are proof of that, but the 830 was by no means disgraced. I would call both as great all-round brushes, but in their chosen fields they are simply outstanding. Let me tell you I know where those 70 Euros went for the 730HD....

Thanks for the pics razormonsta. I have no regrets with an 830 as my first brush but I can see what might be my next one...
You are most welcome. I only lathered them up for the pictures as i am having a shave in the morning, full Jermyn Street baby! Although I did apply it to my face afterwards. It wasn't totally wasted.

Really liked the Rose scent too, although I hear there is no actual rose in it, I believe they use carnation instead. Either way, the smell was decent and the cream performance first class.

Yeah rub it in! You know my thoughts regarding the Jermyn.

Anyhoo I have a tub on the way once Monday morning hits.

I'm going to force myself to wait until July to buy a new brush.

That will be my birthday present to myself.

Finally pulled this one off the windowsill again for a burl this morning. Thought I should update the thread.

I have been using my workhorse Muhle Pure Badger for 6 months straight now. I am quite impressed with it as a bush, it has just the right amount of 'prickle', and releases the lather really nicely. If you manage to get a big lather up, it blooms and holds it them releases nice and controlled. For the first brush I ever purchased and the price paid, I am pretty happy with it as an everyday item.

The biggest issue that it is too floppy to really get into soaps. It works okay on Cella and other softies/croaps, but it does take some work. You need to drag it over the soaps rather than use it to 'scrub'.

So on to the 730HD. Had a bit of another look at it, and I would agree that the cup 'splay' is definitely in play on this one, so it is likely 2-3mm less 'thick' at the base of the cup as the ring on the handle. The HD does have more hair than the 730 and in this case the density is lovely.

I was surprised at the amount of backbone this presented after the Muhle. While the knot has some overall flop, the density controls it.

Lathered with a pea-sized dollop of Proraso, and went to work. I think it was a little less product than was required as the lather was a little thin for my preferences. I did the first pass with it anyway (Slim on 6, fresh SI) and then re-lathered with about 1.5x the original amount.

Lather delivery was much more restrained than I am used to, although the lather seemed much, MUCH finer and almost creamy which I tend to prefer. The tips on this brush are very soft yet they stand up against the skin. Was a very luxurious feel.

Lets just say I put this back on my razor/brush stand and put the Muhle back on the bathroom windowsill. I will give it a few more runs and see how it improves/changes with more use. This is about the 5th time I have ever used it!

Ran with Cella on this brush today. Was surprising how well it went for a 'soft' badger.

Again, felt luxurious on the face - really soft and nice but didn't have any 'scrub' to it which I do enjoy.