Timor, solid and comfortable shave but not the smoothest blade in existence.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
3 shaves out of the Derby, so time to replace it this morning. Reaching into Monsta's surprise bag of blades, I pull out the Timor blades.

Timors are German-produced, along with almost anything sharp manufactured in Germany, in the western city of Solingen. Razors, knives, scissors, if it has a sharp edge then it is likely made there. The German Wilkinson Sword blades were produced there, and it is also the home of many well-known names like Merkur, Dovo and others.

The Timors are rather expensive blades but are well produced. Single-wrapped in high quality paper and NO GLUE, the experience of unwrapping the blade and loading it into the razor is quite refined and it feels like you are handling a quality blade.

I loaded up the Slim again, and left it set to 6 as is my custom. I find my skin appreciates the slightly generous blade gap with my normal WTG & 'Semi XTG' passes. Lather was provided by TOBS and their wonderful Sandalwood cream, and the Muhle Pure Badger brush on duty.

The result is that I find these blades sharp, but not smooth at all. I would describe them as an extremely "Neutral" blade with decent skin feedback, but totally devoid of any smoothness or roughness. The shave is typical Germanic efficiency; close and very comfortable but without any flair, joy or personality. That said, I found that the blade sings a little. Is that just a tiny bit of German humour coming out??

The only drawback of these blades is cost. You are looking at about the same price as Feathers in most cases, however I feel they are better value than Feathers as the shave is more comfortable, and the sharpness is really not so far diminished while getting rid of the 'prickly beard' that you can get with Feathers.

I'm working my way through a pack of these at the moment, I find them to be great.

I have cut myself twice today with a new blade but this was because I have shaved off my mo and have not had to shave the upper lip in probably twenty years.

I got three shaves out of the last one and I am happy with the resulting shave on the third day.

I must admit I haven't looked at price of these are they are a pack from a sampler I obtained somewhere.

Very nice response in the EJ D86 Razor, I used some Arlington cream and the combo worked nicely.

Yeah, the Timors didn't make much impression me. Not as poor as the Bolz though.

Notice you're a fan of the TOBS sandalwood. I gave my new tub a shave today and it's very nice, probably about the densest TOBS cream I've come across in the tub. Shame I've found only the second product that doesn't seem to like my face much.

.........The shave is typical Germanic efficiency; close and very comfortable but without any flair, joy or personality..........

That's taking razor blades to another level. At this rate you'll be taking them out for a walk in the park. After that you might propose to one or two candidates.

My take on the Timor - it's like a Merkur blade (but without the whole expense). In fact when I finished a shave with the Timor, I had to check I'd not been slipped a Merkur in error...

Funny that I get the same feeling with Bolzano (with the expense too), German-made Wilkinson Sword blades (but not the pre-2000 UK ones) & Merkur - all purportedly made in Solingen.... hmmmm.

That's taking razor blades to another level. At this rate you'll be taking them out for a walk in the park. After that you might propose to one or two candidates.
I have a very nice candidate inbound. Expensive, but worth it.

My take on the Timor - it's like a Merkur blade (but without the whole expense). In fact when I finished a shave with the Timor, I had to check I'd not been slipped a Merkur in error...
No way, Merkurs are useless. These at least give you a decent shave, but as the Top Gear UK boys said of the new McLaren.... It's a fantastic car but it is boring as hell. This is how I feel about these blades. Technically a very well-performing blade, just 'soulless'.

Funny that I get the same feeling with Bolzano (with the expense too), German-made Wilkinson Sword blades (but not the pre-2000 UK ones) & Merkur - all purportedly made in Solingen.... hmmmm.
I find that the Bolz have some smoothness to them, but are otherwise similar. The German Wilks have a similar feel but are not as sharp in my opinion, and my old German Schicks have a better feedback and are 'as sharp', but again have a very neutral feel to them.

I feel it is more the German grind and hone angle is different to something like the Gillette blades which we are more 'attuned' to.