Tried DE again

I've only used plats.

Have you ever looked at squires blade reviews? Not just for his review but the comments made by others about each particular blade.

Last edited:
Thanks pablo. Interesting. I've got a few of the blades he's reviewed so I'll try them and see if I agree.

DE shaving is already subjective - we all here don't agree on favourites for soaps razors, bruhes etc. Blades are the most subjective things in tan already subjective topic.

For instance, I disagree with his reviews on the Derby, Reds and Feathers, so blade reviews are pretty pointless IMO. All three, as well as some of the popular Gillette 'colours' are big selling blades though, so while they won't suit everyone, they find a lot of fans.

There's masses of other brands out there, and going on the ones I've tried, it seems pretty clear why they don't get much blurb on shave sites.

I agree completely.

To that end, I'm grabbing a few other brands I haven't heard much about in order to see what they are like.

Treets, Arco, Tiger, Big Ben.

I didn't find the Derby that great to be honest. Certainly not as good as he states.

DE shaving is already subjective - we all here don't agree on favourites for soaps razors, bruhes etc. Blades are the most subjective things in tan already subjective topic.

For instance, I disagree with his reviews on the Derby, Reds and Feathers...
So do I. That is disagree with his reviews on Derbys and Red, so in that sense I agree with you!
But I mentioned it for 2 reasons, one to see a list of some of blades out there and some basic info on them, two: to read others opinions posted in reply to the reviews.

Last edited:

For instance, I disagree with his reviews on the Derby, Reds and Feathers, so blade reviews are pretty pointless IMO. All three, as well as some of the popular Gillette 'colours' are big selling blades though, so while they won't suit everyone, they find a lot of fans.

There's masses of other brands out there, and going on the ones I've tried, it seems pretty clear why they don't get much blurb on shave sites.

Of course it's subjective. But there is a chance that I might agree with him on his reviews of blades that I've got. In which case I might agree with his reviews of blades I haven't tried. However, my experience to date has led me to believe that Feathers are very good quality blades. Too sharp to be reliable (and safe for that matter) in my view. And the rest are pretty much the same. To me that is a pretty daft opinion to have, given that there are at least 70 odd blades you can buy, but you never know..... I might come to the same conclusion.

I liked the Iridium I used and would have been quite happy, based on the couple of shaves I had with one, to stock up on those. But they're not made anymore.

Shaving is subjective? I'd say it's obsessively so. It's scary how people become blinded by it. I've been dropping some seriously sarcastic lines at B&B lately. Particularly in the lathering soft Italian soaps threads going around. I was expecting moderator comments but instead it all goes straight over their heads. They're like a bunch of zombies.

I'm glad we're all agreeing so much, otherwise there wouldn't be any argument. *insert smiley of your choice*

Feathers are indisputably the sharpest blades out there and the quality is excellent. Course that doesn't always make them the best, but for some the sharpest edge possible, is. I'm just saying I think blade reviews are the most unreliable source of information than practically any other type of product.

Having said that, I don't think ALL blades are the same, although I do have half a dozen or so I couldn't pick in a blind shave, except to say they were all quite poor.

I tried the Chrystal Personnas this morning after a very long lay off and they were the same, terrible; rough, blunt and got swapped out after the first pass. But I'm sure someone else would find them great, as they do get good reviews.

I'm only trying some of my oldies to see if there's anything wroth keeping, and so far there isn't. Jugs having my feathers, but as I offload some more, you're welcome to try them.

Thanks for that drubster. I'll see how I get on with the remains of my blade sampler. It'll be a while as I'm still predominantly SE shaving too. It's just that I'm now open to the suggestion of using DEs on regular basis too. Something I wouldn't have even contemplated a few months back. Of course I've been merrily giving away DE razors (my adjustable is with a son) and blades like they're going out of fashion (which is what they were in my case), so I need to change my thinking a bit.

Didn't mind the Shark blade. Almost as easy as the super Iridium but then I used that one on a two day beard which is generally an easier shave. I'd be happy with a bunch of Sharks. You can see where this is heading can't you. I'll try the pits of DE blades next, the Dorco.

I've got a stack of Sharks, I don't mind them. They get blunt fairly quickly for me.

I tend to ditch them after two shaves anyhow. I did three on the Iridium and was contemplating an unprecedented fourth but decided to try the Shark instead. If they last for two good shaves I'm happy. I'll do another one with the Shark and then try the Dorco, the trailer park trash of DE blades. Then it's off to Lord, Derby, Astra (found a barber who's got the superior stainless version), Merkur and finally Feather. What would DE shavers talk about if it wasn't for the endless variety of blades? Would it perhaps be brushes, Drubbing?

What would DE shavers talk about if it wasn't for the endless variety of blades? Would it perhaps be brushes, Drubbing?

Yes.
Had a hate session with my 830 this morning, loaded the bejesus out of it and still got thin, foamy crap. Tried again, same result. Had to dig out the Berk and go down for a third. Lucky I'm not trying to save any frickin time here... Used it the last few days with another soap and it was fine :weird:

I'll dabble occasionally, but I think I've found the blades I like.

Strange. I don't get the whole boar brush dying thing. Particularly if it's not that old. Yours isn't more than a year or two old and even then hasn't been used exclusively. You hear of brushes that have been stuck upside down on a puck, never rinsed or anything still going strong after ten years of daily use. OK that might be a slight exaggeration but still... The whole lather making thing to me is just a pure operational excersize. As long as the brush has got hair of any sort including synthetic it should work. But then I haven't had a brush fail on me yet. You're not a third generation Italian barber by any chance? Shouldn't buy those Spanish brushes mate. Never could trust Spaniards. I ask you, are there any Spanish soft soaps, the pinacle of wet shaving national heritage? A resounding no. They obviously don't know what they're doing. Just buy Omega brushes. They're Italian.

No dying boars? You should have kept the drooling banjo - a few lathers in, and the hair started falling out in clumps...I tell you, $1.75 doesn't buy what it used to.

830 is not even a year old. I whipped up a lather later and it was fine. Did the same bloody thing as this morning. Thing is doing my head in. Getting to the stage where I ask myself if I bother using it, is it going to behave or be a PITA?

Yeah, but the Spaniards are a hairy race too, they should have a clue how to get rid of the stuff. The other Semogues I have are fine, even the 1305, which has the exact same hair.

Second shave with the Shark was good. Just as good as the first. Now it's Dorco time. I really want to find a blade I don't get on with. Otherwise this whole excersize either becomes scientifically invalid or all blades are made the same way by the same people or I'm just a heathen with a skin like billtong.