Trythatsoap.com Shave Soap Database

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
I have been browsing trythatsoap this of late, usually in my idle time at work. It's an ever growing database of soaps and a wealth of information about them

The organisation of the site is excellent with the option to sort by Brand, Scent or Ingredient and registration to the site means you will get the occasional email when upcoming or newly releases soaps are catagorized and rated in addition to be able to participate by rating soaps.

If people know of this site already, or it has already been posted then please accept my apologies in advance.

Never heard of it. Are the listing extensive including Artisans

Yes, it is a fairly new site but currently has around 30 to 35 soap makers.

The people behind the site encourage registration, once you are registered you can submit new soap makers and rate their products. Once you submit a review other people can further contribute with their opinion on the soap, scent and so forth.

You don't have to register to use the site either and you can still browse or search by brand, scent or soap.

Didn't register yet, but looked at a few "descriptions". Sure, scent is important. But no more than other factors - lubricity, lather, etc., etc. Just seems to me that more complete descriptions would improve the site immensely.

Didn't register yet, but looked at a few "descriptions". Sure, scent is important. But no more than other factors - lubricity, lather, etc., etc. Just seems to me that more complete descriptions would improve the site immensely.
Every database starts empty :) It will only be as good as the community decide to make it (already a heap of reviews on scent, but scattered around).

Every database starts empty :) It will only be as good as the community decide to make it (already a heap of reviews on scent, but scattered around).

As per the site's FAQ's:

"What exactly am I rating?

The focus of this tool is scent. Most of the artisan shave soaps are of such high quality, that you can't really go wrong with any of them in terms of performance. For best results, rate the soap solely on it's scent."

With all respect, I don't think I can sign on to that opinion/perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely understand and agree. I know what soaps I like the performance of (B&M, Stlrling, Labelle, Caties, MLS, Reef Point to name a few UC artisans). However, I have not used all the scents they have created. An example of this is Cologne Russe. I'm still on the fence to buy based solely on scent. Same with Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood and a heap of others. I know how they will perform, however have read varying reviews on scents (how long top notes last and how prominent they are, the main middle and base notes that come through etc.). Not sure if this will clear that up for me if and when it gets off the ground, but for me, I like the idea. Each to their own :)

Completely understand and agree. I know what soaps I like the performance of (B&M, Stlrling, Labelle, Caties, MLS, Reef Point to name a few UC artisans). However, I have not used all the scents they have created. An example of this is Cologne Russe. I'm still on the fence to buy based solely on scent. Same with Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood and a heap of others. I know how they will perform, however have read varying reviews on scents (how long top notes last and how prominent they are, the main middle and base notes that come through etc.). Not sure if this will clear that up for me if and when it gets off the ground, but for me, I like the idea. Each to their own :)

No. You make an excellent point. You know soap! I'm a newbie and still exploring this world. Just a different perspective. You're flying a 787, I'm still in a Wright Flyer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey that's it in a nutshell Korbz. I can't really say it any better or express the sentiment better than that :)