Unique Pass-Around of Vintage Leresche #77 Razor

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
This is a unique 'one-of-a-kind' pass-around that I don't intend to repeat.
Please read this post in full for the details.

9SuGZdZl.jpg

The Razor
In 1935 the French company Leresche (of Swiss origins) listed their patent application for the #77 razor. This 4 piece razor has a unique guard bar (like shark jaws) which is incorporated into the upper cap of the head. The head is also slightly wider than a typical razor's head allowing the shave angle to be found more easily. (But also means it is trickier to shave under the nose!) The design also locks the blade in tight, which makes for a highly efficient shave. Originally these razors are silver plated and weigh almost 70 grams.
I find the Leresche #77 razor to be both extremely efficient and smoothly comfortable. (I have used the Muhle R41 2011 and this is more efficient and more comfortable.) It delivers a flawless shave with a good blade. It is one of my top 3 razors.

TeYsihKl.jpg

koz2s0Sl.jpg

The Background
I have acquired a few wonderful vintage razors over time, including several beautiful Leresche #77 razors. Due to the rarity of this unique French razor, they are often difficult to find and purchase. (They sell for a couple of hundred dollars each.)
Earlier this year I ended up with a cracked Frankenrazor (a razor made from combining several different razors). It had the head and handle of the Leresche #77 but the tail/knob of a Merkur razor. It ain't pretty, but it worked exactly the same as the other couple I have.

9ayAPXwl.jpg

The Offer
I am offering this Frankenrazor as a pass-around razor for selected P&C members (currently living in Australia only). Please see the conditions below. You must agree to these conditions if you want to try this razor.
In order to be considered eligible for this pass-around, you must PM me indicating your interest. As per the conditions below, indicating your interest does not guarantee your inclusion in the pass-around. That said, I'm willing to consider all those interested.

@eggbert has been loaned this razor in July this year and can vouch for it's shave performance.

1krOj7fl.jpg

The Conditions
1. The razor MUST be sent via Express Post only (currently the cost is $10.20 with your own packaging) and the tracking number PM'd to me.
2. You get to use the razor for 2 weeks, then clean and send it on.
3. Please post your thoughts, SOTD photos and/or review of this razor in this thread. -Remember that most people will never have heard or tried this razor before.
4. This is an expensive razor and will only be for interested P&C members that are either known to me or of good standing within the community here at P&C. (Usually those I have met or know through direct correspondence and/or trade.)
5. Those who participate in this pass-around (once selected) must be willing to send me their address for postage and a phone number to contact in case of issues.
6. All decisions as to those who participate and the details of this pass-around will be up to me.

fS9Vnkfl.jpg

(With free soap scum!)

lNU68v4l.jpg

Nice, if I wasn't exclusively straights at the moment I would have jumped at this. Will be watching with interest.

Very nice of you.

Nice, if I wasn't exclusively straights at the moment I would have jumped at this. Will be watching with interest.

Very nice of you.

Many straight shavers still use the Muhle R41 as their "back up" razor. IMO this is more comfortable than the R41 (2011) and yet just,if not more, efficient. Big call I know, but it'll be interesting to see what others think!

An incredibly generous offer and opportunity to use a rare and valuable piece of wet-shaving history. You are a gentleman
@filobiblic and your piece will and should be treated with the utmost care, prudence and respect as is befitting of such a piece.

I'm in, sincere thanks for the offer in that I am a newer member of this forum.

It's an amazing razor, and the most aggressive I've used thus far.
For those of you that do get the chance to have a go with it, this is one of those times when you need to be reminded NO PRESSURE! Let the razor do the work.

Also many thanks again for allowing me to be the 2nd person in Australia to have a crack at it, and as we both know the history of how you got it everyone should feel lucky that they are getting the chance to try.

Shame @JugV2 hadn't called out when you were up here, as he has (and still uses) the original r41 bloodletter and I would have been interested to see how he would compare the two

As others have said @filobiblic - a great and generous gesture!

This would be amazing to try!

@filobiblic , whats that Rosa Bourbon's scent like?
LOL. I think it's fantastic. I call it a "dusty" rose scent - so a floral rose but with undertones of spices and complexity. The name comes from a variety of rose. (@SydBJW was disappointed that it wasn't a Bourbon scent! :ROFLMAO:) Manuel (Mr Jabonman who makes EUFROS) uses rose absolute to perfume the soap & aftershave.

LOL. I think it's fantastic. I call it a "dusty" rose scent - so a floral rose but with undertones of spices and complexity. The name comes from a variety of rose. (@SydBJW was disappointed that it wasn't a Bourbon scent! :ROFLMAO:) Manuel (Mr Jabonman who makes EUFROS) uses rose absolute to perfume the soap & aftershave.
I'm disappointed too!!! I was hoping a Johny Good Sir TMBR, whiskey type scent.

I got so excited until I saw it was a
Vintage Leresche DE

and not a
Vintage Leresche Straight.

wonderfully generous pass around. Well done :)

@filobiblic first I whored one of my Toggles here, now you're whoring one of your Leresches, Can we convince @Mark1966 to whore a user grade Bottom Dial next?

Really goes to show what a great not so little community we have here :D

Really goes to show what a great not so little community we have here :D

Not if you're explaining it that way... :shudder: I get the intention but the words don't work.

You are spot on about the kindness demonstrated by this group, which I think you are a part of with your own generosity. So many thanks to you and everyone else in making this place special. I enjoy being a part of this community and -like us all- want to help where I can.