Using finishing natural stone POST 0.1 micron diamond?

sd_baker

Thanks to @rbscebu 's help, I'm now able to consistently get and maintain a pasted balsa edge about as keen as his edge (at least according to my recollection, as I've rehoned them at this point).

I'm looking to involve natural stones. I have a 1x6 norton translucent ark and my cnat. I know they are slow stones.

If I start with an already very keen balsa edge, how many passes would I need to convert to a natural stone edge?

I have never gone from diamond pasted balsa finish to a natural stone finish, only the other way round.

How many laps you would need to do would depend on the stone, the steel and your honing technique. I suggest that you start with 5 to 10 laps on natural stone and then shave. Before the subsequent shave, give the blade another 5 to 10 laps on natural stone and see if you notice a difference. Repeat this until you notice no difference.

When doing something like this, it is good to have two identical SRs, both finished on diamond pasted balsa. Then just try changing one to a natural stone finish. This way you can compare the two types of edges as you go.

Keep us posted on what you find.