Valet, auto strop Safety Razor.

Marlow

is watching you faceterbate...
I have one of the above in a Bakelite case. It looks rather steam-punk but the condition looks ok.

My questions are , do these take those single edge blades like you use as a scraper and

Why and how is this strop used?

Can I still buy blades as I wouldn't mind giving it a go?

Also where do you buy spare blood supplies?, I can easily rig up a makeshift drip and my other half is a Nurse and she can stitch pretty well.

I've tried many SEs but never the VAS. I think you can use standard SE blades in them. Might be worth having a lurk on some other shaving sites. I think the whole strop thing is a bit outdated with the availability of stainless blades which on the one hand hold an edge a bit longer but on the other hand aren't as easily stropped as the old fashioned carbon steel blades for which the VAS was designed. I can send you a few GEM PTFE SS blades but I don't know from experience if they'll fit. You can still buy carbon SE blades if you want to go the whole hog on stropping.

If your other half is the same blood type just have her stand next to you whilst shaving and hook up intravenously.

Thanks Pjotr, I will have a look around and have a bit of a play.

I only found the lost handle for it last night when looking for something else and got

a bit excited and posted here.

Last edited:
I tried a normal double edge blade and that wouldn't fit , so when I get home I will try a scraper blade to see if it fits

though I won't shave with it.

Pjotr thanks for the advice but I don't really think I could bear having her there whilst shaving as I would end up

slashing my own throat on purpose to avoid having to follow her directions because I was doing it wrong.

I think I read somewhere that the VAS can be used with a de-spined SE blade without any problems.

Thanks guys. but possumbelly aka John has pm'd me with which blades to use and is going to send me a sample.
He said he was unable to post here for some reason.
I gota go as I am at work but will get back later this evening and try and show you the pic he sent.

Thanks guys. but possumbelly aka John has pm'd me with which blades to use and is going to send me a sample.
He said he was unable to post here for some reason.
I gota go as I am at work but will get back later this evening and try and show you the pic he sent.

Because the stupid mods (AKA - me) were not paying attention - fixed now!

Because the stupid mods (AKA - me) were not paying attention - fixed now!
I demand a comittee be formed to resolve this mod issue! *ducks*

The blades arrived today from possumbelly to whom I am very grateful, but I had already shaved,

so next shave I will give it a whirl.

Thanks mate.

No worries. Enjoy!

Which Valet have u got? Were you able to work it out from the link? I must say that from a historical perspective, I really enjoy trying out all these old tools. You're right that the Valet's just look cool also. While I'm unlikely to use my 2 models very often, I'll keep them in my collection for the historical value.

Not quite sure but could be a number 3.

I had a swipe on my arm and the hairs are gone, so it cuts.

I love the little cogs, totally cool: it was from some grandpa in the family and it cleaned up pretty well.

I would take a pic but it seems a bit YKW-ish and a bit sad, as bad as taking pics of a coffee roast. (smiley not inserted for Drubbing's sake)

Well I just tried it this evening as I have to work on Sunday morning.

I had no real idea about the angle but I had a bloody good shave with 3 passes WTG & 2 XTG but ATG on my neck

with minimal blood loss as I slipped a bit on my neck. No general irritation with the Alum either.

It didn't help that the arm fell of my specs just as I started.

I used some Cade cream for it, so a pretty good shave for a dabble in history.

Here is the thing before the occasion. (I am now becoming weird taking pics of my razor)

Well done - nice looking brush in that shot too!