Vintage Razor

SydBJW

Soaps, You Don't Buy Just Williams
Da Menth Heads
I have decided to try a vintage razor. What is the best ones to look for and where do you find them.Is their anything worth getting from my birth year 1972?

Thanks for your help.

Brendan

What kinds of razors do you tend to like? Mild or more aggressive? What are your current favourites?

Is R 1971 or 1972?
I have a black handled superspeed you are welcome to if that suits $25 inc delivery and I'll throw in some cream/soap or blades to go with it.
No case for the razor though if that is important to you.

Last edited:
What kinds of razors do you tend to like? Mild or more aggressive? What are your current favourites?

Probably more into the mild razors. I like my Merkur 34C and Merkur Barber Pole more than my R41.

S = 1972 with 1 - 4 for the respective quarter of production.

Black Handled Super Speed or Super Adjustable would fit the bill if you can get one. Lady Gillette and Knack also produced in that era, along with the ubiquitous Tech.

I just looked at one of the sites on what was produced when, and apparently some of the techs from that era were produced with zamac heads!

Vintage...how about a Weber PH :D :D :D

If you are after a long handle T1 super adjustable with case, shoot me a PM...

Probably more into the mild razors. I like my Merkur 34C and Merkur Barber Pole more than my R41.

One of my favourite razors is a British 1940s tech with the fat handle. Super mild, but fantastic with a sharp blade like a PolSilver SI. I think mine is from an Australian set sold in 1948. It's pretty common on eBay. Maybe $20?

I'm looking to get mine replated in rhodium I like it that much.

Although I tend to use it with a modern handle.

Another popular option is a Gillette Long Comb. I find it a bit too harsh, but @filobiblic loves his. If you like open combs, you'll like this. Mild-ish, but not super mild. Maybe a medium?

The Rocket or SuperSpeed is a very nice (mild) shaver as well. It'd be a great razor for an introduction to wet shaving, or vintage razors. I sent one to @Nonick when he first wanted to try what a DE was like. He got hooked. (And now he's a fan of the NEW long comb as well after I gave him one of those too!) He may have passed on the SuperSpeed but you could ask him about it.

The New is a great shave, but the Super Speed is a very mild TTO.
Both would make a wonderful choice for a Vintage, but the Slim is probably my favorite

What's your birth 1/4 ?

S1 it be then :)
And the hunt begins...

Brendan, you asked "and where do you find them".

Some places to look would be second hand shops, especially the ones that have stuff piled up everywhere. Antique shops often have a few razors though they tend to be pricey.

Some towns have monthly markets, I got a gold fatboy for $6 at one of them last year. Car boot sales are good for the odd razor too. Then there is the Buy/Sell on this site.

Ask you family and friends if they have any tucked away somewhere. Maybe some of the other members have favorite places they find stuff too that they would share with you.

Oh yeah, don't bother with charity shops like St Vincent D Paul. Those places aren't allowed to sell razors for some reason.

All great suggestions. [emoji106]

Oh yeah, don't bother with charity shops like St Vincent D Paul. Those places aren't allowed to sell razors for some reason.
Yeah. This peeves me. I don't get it because they can sell Cartridge razors...

I also wonder what do they do with all the razors and shaving gear they must come across!

Its called landfill. God knows how many beaut razor there are in the local tip.
[emoji24]
Now I'm going to spend my weekends picking through the nearest rubbish dump...