Vintage Straight Razors

Reegs

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at getting a nice vintage straight to add to my collection (yay more stuff). And I'm wondering on what to look for, and if there are any brands to stick clear off. They will need honing, which I'm definitely willing to pay someone to do :)
Here are some I'm looking out:
Thank you for any feed back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reegs I would be in touch with Mark. He will be able to advise or furnish you with a decent vintage straight for a fair price. Buying vintage razors on ebay can be problematic as you don't see many small things before you buy.

This man is a reputable ebay seller also. I've not bought from him but I would.

http://m.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?sid=rspe7027&_pgn=1&isRefine=true

@Mark from her is indeed highly recommended for a reason.
I have personally dealt with rspe7027 and can recommend them too :)

Hi @Reegs, Out of the straight razors you've posted there's only one I would touch and that would be the "Mountain Rose straight razor". The others are way too beaten up to even put a price tag on them. Like @borked and @Nonick mentioned, Ron is a good seller wouldn't sell any crap so he's a good source. I also have a bunch of nice vintages on hand which I hone before sending out if you're interested in taking a peek just shoot me a pm. Otherwise if you see something you like we're happy to be an additional pair of eyes. Cheers.

Hi @Reegs, Out of the straight razors you've posted there's only one I would touch and that would be the "Mountain Rose straight razor". The others are way too beaten up to even put a price tag on them. Like @borked and @Nonick mentioned, Ron is a good seller wouldn't sell any crap so he's a good source. I also have a bunch of nice vintages on hand which I hone before sending out if you're interested in taking a peek just shoot me a pm. Otherwise if you see something you like we're happy to be an additional pair of eyes. Cheers.
@Mark, I had a feeling the Mountain Rose was the best of the bunch.
I'm definitely interested in what you might have @Mark, I will send you a pm. Thanks

I have restored plenty that looked like this at the start and have turned out really well - for under $15 it would be worth the risk for me (if I didn't have 50+ on the restore bench .... hehehe)

Aesthetics is one thing, functionality is another. I'm sure you can make it look pretty but once I see the devils spit I know it's over for that razor, it goes in the bin. Something that has been that heavily rusted would suffer from it, here are recently restored razors that were sent to me for honing, most of those were nice and shiny, I've taken the edge photos at 400x , unfortunately more than 9/10 times there's no solution.

pic0123_zpspyvhzlva.jpg
pic0011_zpseaunoh6a.jpg
12319437_10205117211800958_35797530_n_zpsnrm2qzr2.jpg
pic0001_zps8mlaxspz.jpg

Aesthetics is one thing, functionality is another. I'm sure you can make it look pretty but once I see the devils spit I know it's over for that razor, it goes in the bin. Something that has been that heavily rusted would suffer from it, here are recently restored razors that were sent to me for honing, most of those were nice and shiny, I've taken the edge photos at 400x , unfortunately more than 9/10 times there's no solution.

pic0123_zpspyvhzlva.jpg
pic0011_zpseaunoh6a.jpg
pic0001_zps8mlaxspz.jpg
Fantastic photography. A picture is worth ... ... ...

pic0123_zpspyvhzlva.jpg
pic0011_zpseaunoh6a.jpg
pic0001_zps8mlaxspz.jpg
Gees that would give a beautiful shave:eek:

Wouldn't it. If you grind it back you would get to a place without rust but I take it that's not worth the time / expense.

Wouldn't it. If you grind it back you would get to a place without rust but I take it that's not worth the time / expense.
I've tried that plenty of times, you just run into new surprises :)
By the time you do that with a decent size 13/16 and take it down to almost 5/8 if you're successful you'll end up with a funny looking razor, honestly not worth messing with when you can buy average user grade razors with no rust damage for as little as $50.