Vintage Straights

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
With the interest in straights kindled again,

Has anyone got a straight from the ebay seller rspe7027 recently?

They look like excellent value compared to $200 new Dovo's. By the time I sent my straight away to get honed and pins restored etc it was over $100 so these are actually good value coming shave ready.

I think @filobiblic got one last year have you used it mate?

Maybe Mark could tell us the difference between the >$200 ones compared to the cheaper ~$120ish ones?

Would the shave be better, the edge last longer? The name look better in the SOTD pics?

Has anyone got a straight from the ebay seller rspe7027 recently?

I think @filobiblic got one last year have you used it mate?
Yep. I got a Kukri 5/8 for below $100 I recall. The prices are reasonable. I haven't used this razor yet - only the Dovo Special and Gold Dollar.

Others from SRP in Oz have bought from him before and he is a recommended seller on eBay.

If you're after another straight, @Mark just sold some and may have one or two left. You also might be able to twist his arm for another one he has... [emoji14]

Yep. I got a Kukri 5/8 for below $100 I recall. The prices are reasonable. I haven't used this razor yet - only the Dovo Special and Gold Dollar.

Others from SRP in Oz have bought from him before and he is a recommended seller on eBay.

If you're after another straight, @Mark just sold some and may have one or two left. You also might be able to twist his arm for another one he has... [emoji14]
Ok @filobiblic elaborate upon that last comment mate.

As for vintage straights, material type and quality is what I perceive the difference to be.

Ok @filobiblic elaborate upon that last comment mate.
Meaning:
Part 1 - @Mark just sold some straights and I think at least one isn't yet sold.
Part 2 - If he has sold them all, ask and he may find another he could sell.

Ahh, not. as mysterious as suggested.

Wester Brothers Blue Manganese Steel

It was basically shave ready, but needed a minor hone.

QzgyZQq.jpg

That is how it was advertised, but how I received it and where it is now, are 2 different levels of sharp.

When I received it, it had the telltale tugging at the hairs. My hairs are thick wire, so the tugging actually hurts.

No bother to me, as I have been sharpening knives and blades since I was 8, but I hear what you are saying.

That is how it was advertised, but how I received it and where it is now, are 2 different levels of sharp.

When I received it, it had the telltale tugging at the hairs. My hairs are thick wire, so the tugging actually hurts.

No bother to me, as I have been sharpening knives and blades since I was 8, but I hear what you are saying.
Hmmm... I haven't shaved with mine yet. [emoji53]

Well every now and again I do a Den clearance because I can't stop buying them! I'm trying to narrow my Bengall collection down to 1 or 2 so there's a chance that a couple may go up soon. I'll be posting them here first except for one blade, that happens to be a Bengall that I promised a guy in the US as he's been on the search for one for a while, but I have too many for myself. Yes I like Bengalls.

Yes I like Bengalls.

My friend I own a Bengall I love it. I idly mentioned 18 months ago to an old man I'd like to try straight shaving some time. He took me to his shed and showed me his grandfathers Bengall which was his rego sticker remover. He very kindly gave it to me if I could use it. I polished it up with AutoSol and sent it to Oz who honed it and repined it.. what a beauty.

I always suspected you knew what you were on about.

Great stuff @Nonick. Glad it found a good home, I can only imagine that it will keep serving you for decades if you look after it. Great score! Here is the recent one in a 7/8 that I rescued for a good friend of mine, unfortunately didn't take photos before but the buffing wheels, custom scales and hones definitely made her happy. AutoSol is great too, even better, look for the German version. A pink tube from bunnings for about $8.
Bengall_zpsh7kzs6mn.jpg

What can you tell me about stainless steel blades? Harder to hone? Keep an edge longer?

What can you tell me about stainless steel blades? Harder to hone? Keep an edge longer?
I wouldn't say harder to hone, in some cases it will need fewer strokes than carbon steel, a lot of people over think it but it's honestly not too different, some say the edges are a bit harsher, I only agree to a certain extent as I could fine tune any edge to meet any ones needs. Every blade has it's own characteristics. I've come across Japanese blades and Swedish steel (which is also high carbon steel) that were much harder than stainless so every blade is different. In your case, since you have the diamond films, it will be no different. They cut through steel like butter and they're very fast!

Generally speaking, it's said that they hold an edge longer than others but then again take that with a grain of salt. For instance, sheffield steel (your bengall) is very soft. I've purchased 3 of them for myself last year and never had to revisit the hones since. Stainless vs Carbon is something that people tend to over think but honing them isn't any different although I do know of some people that will charge more to hone stainless which I think is wrong. The truth is, edge longevity mainly reflects the end user as I've mention in one of my threads Here. Hope this helps.

Great, thanks, I'm eyeing off the LouPer on Ebay