Wa-Kamisori Iwasaki

Welcome @erobins I wouldn't worry if you can't PM yet, no doubt @Mark and @Draco Noir will pop past soon. In the mean time have you been into wet shaving long or are you jumping straight (pun intended) into the straight razor side of things?

Hi, sorry to be a bit late to the party - only just saw this thread.

The quick answer is you won't find an Iwasaki Kamisori here in Aus, unless somebody puts one up for sale online.

Ebay is your best bet - but be prepared to pay $350-$400 or more for a new swedish steel Iwasaki. You'll find lots of collectible Iwasakis at Tamahagane Honsha who also sell on Ebay as japannippon, but the prices start high and go stratospheric ($1000-$10,000). Another place to try is http://aframestokyo.com - they usually have something from Iwasaki on offer.

If you're brave and keen (or have a friend who's very good at reading/writing Japanese) you can hit the Japanese auction sites direct. I got two brand new Iwasaki Kamis this way for way less than the figures I mentioned above. The best place to get started is Rakuten (http://global.rakuten.com/en/), where you can view the site in english. Rakuten is like a portal for Japanese goods and producers. There are also Japanese-only online auctions like Ebay, but they aren't the easiest to use...

Hope this helps you a bit (y)

Hi @erobins,

Sorry, I don't quite understand the question. If you are asking if Aframestokyo is the best to buy from, the answer is probably no : their prices aren't the cheapest, and their postage is quite pricy. I think the best deals are going to be the auctions - Ebay and Japanese sites.

It's worth putting a watch on Ebay for "Iwasaki Kamisori". That way you'll be advised immediately a new Iwasaki is posted.

If you want a hand with all this, PM me if you can. If I know your budget, and whether you want a new, NOS or used razor, I'm sure I can unearth one for you...

@erobins,

Yes, Kamisoris do have an exotic appeal. They can also be beautiful pieces of minimal artistry. On the other hand, they demand determination and discipline to get proficient at shaving with them.

Many people find them too difficult to persevere with, or too intimidating. For this reason I'd suggest you start with an inexpensive but good Kamisori - an Iwasaki is a pretty big investment to use 7 or 8 times then retire to the back of the cupboard. It would make a great motivator though : "When I master shaving with this thing, I'll reward myself with an Iwasaki"...

The offer of help is still open - I can help you find a really good Kamisori at a modest price...

Many people find them too difficult to persevere with, or too intimidating. For this reason I'd suggest you start with an inexpensive but good Kamisori - an Iwasaki is a pretty big investment to use 7 or 8 times then retire to the back of the cupboard. It would make a great motivator though : "When I master shaving with this thing, I'll reward myself with an Iwasaki"...
Wonderful and wise advice!