Review Walker and Hall straight razor? Anyone know of any?

Deadshort

d4acadc8563c254ae5d2d523311ffd8a.jpg
9d98b7b86ce90bc0ad4f72da6b42237b.jpg
4710e21f9400b2869f36720168a39304.jpg

This razor was on Gumtree. I can't find Walker and Hall in any list of razor manufacturers. But they are known for silverware.
Walker and Hall silverware did have a retailer in Adelaide...according to http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLAWALKER&HALL.html

Any info would be welcome

I have a Walker & Hall "The Flag Razor" 2 day set that is made in Sheffield (UK).
wVBXsPBl.jpg

I've got some info on them but can't post right now. I'll do it later tonight.

Very nice. The case too. Do you use them? If so, do they hold their edge well? I'm wondering if they're silver plated?

Very nice. The case too. Do you use them? If so, do they hold their edge well? I'm wondering if they're silver plated?
Hmmm, don't get to use them much. After a burst of learning to use a straight I didn't get into the daily groove of them before timing squeezed them out. I am now the weekend str8 shaver.

@Mark might be able to have an idea if they are silver plated as he honed them for me. He's know his steels and str8s far better than me.

I can't find Walker and Hall in any list of razor manufacturers. But they are known for silverware.

Here's what I know (mostly courtesy of this post on SRP):

Walker & Hall Sheffield were a huge manufacturer, mostly in the early 20th century. Tweedale's* entry on the company covers almost 4 full pages. Far too much to even summarize!

The company goes back a good ways, but it was built on Walker's electroplating -- which he learned in Birmingham. Hall was a grocer, and the two of them partnered up. The flag mark with W&H on it was registered in 1863, but by 1900 both Walker and Hall were dead and the company was in the hands of John Bingham.

They may have been a huge company in the 1890's (when the razor was most likely made), but they weren't so large and so successful that Bingham didn't feel the need to lie to puff them up even bigger. He famously claimed that Walker had invented the electroplating process, that they employed 2000 hands (technically not a lie, they had a thousand employees), and that he was brokering an international peace treaty, all while forming a task force to smash trade unions.

But they made their own cutlery, and it was reputedly (by people other than John Bingham) top quality.

Their business was primarily silver plating though. So not top-end goods, but medium-end goods. Bingham even had an interesting scheme to sell involving customers getting 'wholesale' prices by being 'approved buyers'. It was a real discount -- about 10% off other retailers -- but it wasn't the 50% off Bingham claimed, and it was still enough to displease the other folks who sold Walker & Hall goods.

*A book: Tweedales Directory of Sheffield Cutlery

You got yourself a beautiful piece of local Adelaidian history my friend! Wonderful. It's great to have the background that goes with the razor.