Watch suggestions.....

... my favourite Mont Blanc GMT.

What? You mean it only shows the time in GMT? Do you have to add the +10 for BrisVegas? ;)

[nice looking dial you have there BTW ...]

;)
What? You mean it only shows the time in GMT? Do you have to add the +10 for BrisVegas? ;)

[nice looking dial you have there BTW ...]

Haha red tipped dial shows the hour in gmt. Normal hands show local minutes and hour. That photo was the day i got it so was only to to roughly +5 hourso_O

The Mont Blanc GMT has a great looking face.

This is the broken Glashutte with Lizard skin strap. Its actually the day arm thats broken, thats how long its been since ive used it hahaha. Still a great watch and you dont see them much.
c12b8afc33.jpg

Yeah, I think I could get used to something like that @Drubbing

Nice. How have you found it, is it decent for the cost, currently $150 on Creation. I assume a leather or rubber band is easy enough to find and the lugs are standard? The cheaper SNK is a bit skinny so band options limited

I got two on the basis of a recommendation here a while ago. One for me and one for my son as his first watch. My daughter snagged mine on here way to Europe and I got this to replace it from another member here.

Great beater watch. Simple and easy to read at a glance without a complicated face. Keeps time OK - I just adjust occasionally to the iPhone.

Hey - Happy shaving :)

Seiko have a similar and slightly bigger one in Kinetic, can any offer pros and cons of kinetic vs auto please?

Seiko have a similar and slightly bigger one in Kinetic, can any offer pros and cons of kinetic vs auto please?

Don't the kinetic use an automatic style movement to generate a current which is stored in a capacitor or rechargeable batter to power a quartz watch?

So pros would be accuracy and cons the potential for capacitor or battery to need replacing.

I'm noticing significant bracket creep happening already.

If you are going to wear the watch on an almost daily basis an automatic is good. The kinetic are as Mark says a cross between auto and quartz. The capacitor stores energy a lot longer than the auto will so if you are going to stop wearing it for a week or more it will still be running when you come back whereas the auto will have stopped.
Quartz kind of have a bad name amongst watch aficionados because they are soulless, but I'm guessing that's not really going to bother you. If you don't mind them the bulova precisionist watches are nice.
If you are still looking at the Seiko's take a look at snzh53, 55 or 57 (depending in your colour preference). Monsta doesn't like them as they don't offer hacking (stopping the second hand so you can be ultra accurate) but personally if accuracy was that important I'd be buying a quartz.

Ah, 100 to 200 isn't pushing the boat out. I'd rather buy good first time, than have to go back and do it again. Thanks for the info. I'm not going to be collecting watches, so whatever it is will be worn regularly. May keep my tracker just for exercise cos counting steps and stairs is a load of bollox when it comes to measuring fitness.

Ah, 100 to 200 isn't pushing the boat out. I'd rather buy good first time, than have to go back and do it again. .

I know what you are saying there. I nearly always try to buy a level or two above entry level as the difference in quality usually means the former is considered disposable.

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions. I've looked at a lot courtesy of Creation and a couple of other sites. The Citizens never grabbed me. I keep getting drawn back to this: To me, this is stylish and understated. Twice my budget, but still cheap.

seiko-5-sport-automatic-navy-blue-canvas-mens-watch-snzg11_1.jpg

As much as I like the idea of some fancier watches, too many are way too busy and I'd buy features I'd never use. Some are too big. I've done all the newb stuff like check my wrist size, and 40-42 seems on the money. Tell me if I'm wrong, as I'm not into big watches. My Tag is 32 and even that looks like a ladies to me.

I've never like bracelets, so my rationale for going the blue over the black is that I can get colour natos for this, or even a half decent black strap, and it'll look class.

Any reason to use Creation over Skywatches in Singapore or vice versa? Both of them have these, and prices are the same.

@Drubbing before you press the trigger, you noticed that Massdrop has this breed of watch come up quite regularly - and at far better prices than Sky, Creation, Global Ratuken, etc.

How much better? Mass drop seems to operate via alerts on Facebook, and I don't do any of that stuff, so will never know when they'll offer it.

How much better? Mass drop seems to operate via alerts on Facebook, and I don't do any of that stuff, so will never know when they'll offer it.
Nope just sign up and you'll get notices arrive in your Inbox. Once you're done you can unsubscribe....though I just filter them off to a folder to look at whenever I'm keen.

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions. I've looked at a lot courtesy of Creation and a couple of other sites. The Citizens never grabbed me. I keep getting drawn back to this: To me, this is stylish and understated. Twice my budget, but still cheap.

seiko-5-sport-automatic-navy-blue-canvas-mens-watch-snzg11_1.jpg

As much as I like the idea of some fancier watches, too many are way too busy and I'd buy features I'd never use. Some are too big. I've done all the newb stuff like check my wrist size, and 40-42 seems on the money. Tell me if I'm wrong, as I'm not into big watches. My Tag is 32 and even that looks like a ladies to me.

I've never like bracelets, so my rationale for going the blue over the black is that I can get colour natos for this, or even a half decent black strap, and it'll look class.

Any reason to use Creation over Skywatches in Singapore or vice versa? Both of them have these, and prices are the same.

@Drubbing - that is a very nice looking watch. @Mark1966 is spot on regarding Auto/Kinetic. Another thing to note is that kinetic watches do not need batteries, being self-charging, but the capacitor will usually fail after a few years.
Watch case diameters are a matter of fashion. Big cases started to become fashionable around the turn of the millennium, and are still "in".
In the '50s, the typical diameter was 32mm. They became slightly larger in the '60s, and there was a short period when large square cases were the go in the early-mid '70s. From then on, the typical case diameter has been 36mm, with a 38mm dial being considered large.
We are now in a period where 40mm is becoming the norm, and a large watch is 44-48mm.
Frankly, unless you are a huge human, these large diameter watches look (to me at least) like you have an alarm clock strapped to your wrist.
I am a big bloke (190cm), so my watches are in the range 36mm - 42mm.
If you look at wrist watches holistically since their inception, the classic size for a dress watch is 34-36mm, and 36-38mm for a sports watch.
I think the watch you have identified is a good'un - it caught my eye also.
Another critical factor for mechanical watches (automatic or hand-wind) is the need for servicing every 3-5 years. With a battery or kinetic watch, this is typically a quick battery/capacitor change, fit new seals, and pressure-test.
With a mechanical watch, this involves disassembling the components, cleaning in ultrasonic bath, reassembling, lubricating, and adjusting regulation. This can be quite expensive, and the watch manufacturers notoriously try to monopolise parts and employ scandalous price gouging for service costs (similar to tactics employed by Car manufacturers).
I have a lot more knowledge and experience with watches that I do with shaving. I am also in Perth, so if you feel like catching up for a pint and a chat, drop me a line. With respect to parts and servicing, I can put you in touch with an excellent Swiss-trained independent watch maker. He is Perth-based and I've used him for the last 15 years. His prices are very reasonable and the quality of work is as good as anyone in Australia.

Nope just sign up and you'll get notices arrive in your Inbox. Once you're done you can unsubscribe....though I just filter them off to a folder to look at whenever I'm keen.

@stillshunter - that's a good point. I think that is where I saw this watch, or one very similar.

I have no clue about watches and stopped wearing them in high school - but the black Titanium one on Massdrop at the moment looks mean ;)

I went ahead with the Seiko. Creation are impressive to buy from. Ordered Tuesday, I'm wearing it now on Thursday. OS Sellers who offer free FedEx or DHL will get my business pretty easy.

Bugger me if this isn't a big fucking watch. It fits, and is in the right proportion on my wrist, unlike some monsters I've seen spilling over the edges of peoples wrists, but if they had a 38mm I would have gone with that. I'm just not used to something of this size sitting there.

With respect to parts and servicing, I can put you in touch with an excellent Swiss-trained independent watch maker. He is Perth-based and I've used him for the last 15 years. His prices are very reasonable and the quality of work is as good as anyone in Australia.

thanks that would be great.