Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
What are your reading now?
What do you read?
Any opinion on your latest read?

And so on

As you would have known if you had been there today @Ferret619 ...

... a Paperchain bargain bin buy -

9780340923498.jpg

I often read electic books from their bargain bin. When travelling overseas I try and read a classic. There is a thread on Perfume the book / movie around here somewhere too.

This is, of course, on top of professional reading!

C'mon @Ferret619 , you're not going to answer your own question? :p

Reading now: I'm still on the last of the Witcher books by Andrezj Sapkowski. Haven't picked it up for a while as I've been too distracted with other stuff.
Opinion: It's a fan translation from Polish, so it's a bit iffy in places but good overall. Hard to recommend because it's less about the fantasy which is something I like.

What I read: I'm into fantasy/sci-fi. Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson and Sergei Lukyanenko are my favourites so far. I also like Neil Gaiman, but I've only read American Gods and his Sandman series

I’m just starting The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
I normally read books on esoterics but have a long list of others to read :)

Would you believe rereading Harry Turtledove's Worldwar/Colonisation series? Have had them for a while, always good to revisit; those pesky space lizards!!

Terry Pratchett is always good.
DCI Banks series are good for mindless entertainment.

The last book I started is "For the love of hops" really need to pay close it up again, it's been sitting there for 6 months.

Mostly I read at work, I read the Infrastructure Australia report on urban water reform this week and our draft chapters for the State of the Industry Report for water and sewerage in Tasmania this week.

Terry Pratchett is always good.
DCI Banks series are good for mindless entertainment.

The last book I started is "For the love of hops" really need to pay close it up again, it's been sitting there for 6 months.

Mostly I read at work, I read the Infrastructure Australia report on urban water reform this week and our draft chapters for the State of the Industry Report for water and sewerage in Tasmania this week.
Infrastructure report sounds like a page turner!

Any good?
Depends if you enjoy reading a whole Millennium Series of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist, otherwise you'll have to read this book first 'The Girl in the Spider's Web' and than read 'An Eye for An Eye'

'The Girl in the Spider's Web'
Is about Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist have not been in touch for some time. Then Blomkvist is contacted by renowned Swedish scientist Professor Balder. Warned that his life is in danger, but more concerned for his son's well-being, Balder wants Millennium to publish his story - and it is a terrifying one. More interesting to Blomkvist than Balder's world-leading advances in Artificial Intelligence, is his connection with a certain female superhacker. It seems that Salander, like Balder, is a target of ruthless cyber gangsters - and a violent criminal conspiracy that will very soon bring terror to the snowbound streets of Stockholm, to the Millennium team, and to Blomkvist and Salander themselves.

'An Eye for An Eye'
Lisbeth Salander is an unstoppable force: Sentenced to two months in Flodberga women's prison for saving a young boy's life by any means necessary, Salander refuses to say anything in her own defence. She has more important things on her mind. Mikael Blomkvist makes the long trip to visit every week - and receives a lead to follow for his pains. For him, it looks to be an important expose for Millennium. For her, it could unlock the facts of her childhood. Even from a corrupt prison system run largely by the inmates, Salander will stand up for what she believes in, whatever the cost. And she will seek the truth that is somehow connected with her childhood memory, of a woman with a blazing birthmark on her neck - that looked as if it had been burned by a dragon's fire.

Not reading anything at the moment, beyond work emails... ugh.

I know that there is a new Daniel Silva novel out there, so I will grab that for my Christmas / New Year break.

Might also grab the Jack Reacher short story set.

Definitely a crowd please
The pre-release briefing was a scene from Utopia. Two guys in suits matching ties, shaved heads, speaking to a series of PowerPoint slides. "What John is here to tell you ...". It was quite surreal.

There are some interesting issues in there, we built a lot of infrastructure in the 1950-1970 and not much since, excluding all of the desalination plants built 2005-2010. We are now facing the end of life for those assets combined with increased population and urban density.

Just like Mad Max predicted water will be the battle ground if the future.

Well grab your own copy - http://infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/policy-publications/publications/reforming-urban-water.aspx

The thought of saving $2,500 in today's money on my residential water and sewerage bill by 2040 got me hooked!

By the time you are finished @glenos might have his draft chapters of the State of the Industry Report for water and sewerage in Tasmania publicly available too!

You need to stop this Mark, right here and now. Please.

The pre-release briefing was a scene from Utopia. Two guys in suits matching ties, shaved heads, speaking to a series of PowerPoint slides. "What John is here to tell you ...". It was quite surreal.

There are some interesting issues in there, we built a lot of infrastructure in the 1950-1970 and not much since, excluding all of the desalination plants built 2005-2010. We are now facing the end of life for those assets combined with increased population and urban density.

Just like Mad Max predicted water will be the battle ground if the future.

See Dan!

We ALL should be reading this and being prepared. Maybe I should move from being a Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' to a Sewerpocalypse Prepper too!

The last dam we built in this country was a long time ago from memory @glenos (although not wanting to get too controversial) and we have infrastructure issues front and centre here in Canberra. Pre self government in 1988 the Commonwealth paid for everything so the infrastructure was pretty darn good. Since we have been paying for it ourselves (sort of) the longer term locals are adamant that the quality and maintenance has been forgotten and ignored.

Utopia? Can't watch it - too close to the bone when you live here ...

See Dan!

We ALL should be reading this and being prepared. Maybe I should move from being a Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' to a Sewerpocalypse Prepper too!

The last dam we built in this country was a long time ago from memory @glenos (although not wanting to get too controversial) and we have infrastructure issues front and centre here in Canberra. Pre self government in 1988 the Commonwealth paid for everything so the infrastructure was pretty darn good. Since we have been paying for it ourselves (sort of) the longer term locals are adamant that the quality and maintenance has been forgotten and ignored.

Utopia? Can't watch it - too close to the bone when you live here ...
@Mark1966 you worried too much, maybe you should start building a Nuclear Bunker first if the North Korea launch before the American's strike back.