What are you reading?

We really should all read Orwell's 1984 -

9780143566496.jpg

The trick now is that it is more correctly shelved in non-fiction ... ;)
It's now an "Instruction Manual".

Just finished these two by former A-4 pilots, terrific.

Our Lives "On the Line": The Air War over North Vietnam for a Navy pilot and his Airwing, by Kenneth Adams
Dead Men Flying, A Remembrance : Going to War in the A-4 - Rolling Thunder over Hanoi, by Michael Mullane

Just finished these two by former A-4 pilots, terrific.

Our Lives "On the Line": The Air War over North Vietnam for a Navy pilot and his Airwing, by Kenneth Adams
Dead Men Flying, A Remembrance : Going to War in the A-4 - Rolling Thunder over Hanoi, by Michael Mullane

Looks at book titles, 'The Air War', 'Dead Men Flying'

Glances at user name 'bomber.79'

OK, then ...

Just finished The Blonde Knight, the Erich Hartman biography. He is, and will probably remain the highest scoring air ace of all time with 352 confirmed kills

Re-reading the Flavia de Luce novels by Alan Bradley. The protagonist is a young girl with a passion for chemistry (and poisons in particular). You might be forgiven for imagining this is "young adult" literature, but it really isn't. It's a cracking good series of detective stories that happen to be seriously well-written, funny and damn fine literature. And also pretty interesting if you're into chemistry. :)

11 books (so far, and I suspect the elderly author may have run out of steam):

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag
A Red Herring Without Mustard
I Am Half-Sick of Shadows
Speaking From Among the Bones
The Dead in their Vaulted Arches
The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse (a novella)
As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust
Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd
The Grave's a Fine and Private Place
The Golden Tresses of the Dead

Halfway through Squadron Leader, the biography of British fighter ace Johnnie Johnson.

An extremely good book however, it's turned into a bit of a Douglas Bader love fest at the moment.

Halfway through Squadron Leader, the biography of British fighter ace Johnnie Johnson.

An extremely good book however, it's turned into a bit of a Douglas Bader love fest at the moment.
Strike that.

Bader was just shot down so he's out of the picture :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just finished 'Desert Solitaire' by Edward Abbey, you may or may not agree with his "politics", but he nailed a lot of issues. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Some other recent "reads":

'Tornado: In the Eye of the Storm' by John Nichol. A first-hand account of flying the tornado and being shot down and held as a POW during the first gulf war - really interesting.

'Hawkeye: The Enthralling Autobiography of the Top-Scoring Israel Air Force Ace of Aces' by Giora Even-Epstein' Interesting, but the narrative jumps around a lot.

'Vulcan 607' by Rowland White. Tells the story of the first Black Buck raid during the Falklands War. A much-diminished RAF couldn't repeat these astonishing long range bombing raids now - terrific read.

'We Were Soldiers Once ...And Young' by Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore (Ret.) and Joseph L. Galloway - the story of the battles at landing zones X-Ray and Albany in the Ia Drang Valley, Vietnam, 1965 - highly recommended.

'The Scrap Iron Flotilla' by Mike Carlton - I had never heard of the scrap iron flotilla prior to reading this book - highly recommended.

'Our Lives "On the Line": The Air War over North Vietnam for a Navy pilot and his Airwing' by Kenneth Adams. There are so many great books written by Vietnam War veterans nowadays, this is a good one.

'Vulcan 607' by Rowland White. Tells the story of the first Black Buck raid during the Falklands War. A much-diminished RAF couldn't repeat these astonishing long range bombing raids now - terrific read.

I will second that, read the book over Christmas/New Year. Amazing achievement!

its been years, decades since I picked up a book to read (apart from technical work related literature) and have to say I am really enjoying it.. I picked up this one about the life of my favourite bouzouki player of all time and thoroughly enjoying it.

71OunqG294L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just recently watched the Harry Potter series (a few times over) with my daughter and who knows, might even start reading that after this book.

I'm in the middle of Duel of Eagles by Peter Townsend (RAF ace and Princess Margret's ex squeeze). It's about the history and his part in the Battle of Britain.

This one is a fantastic read. He not only tells of the brief history of the RAF but also goes into the back stories of the main players, including the crew of the first Heinkel 111 shot down over England of the war by himself.

I just finished Samuri by Saburo Sakai. He was the highest Japanese ace that survived the war. He fought in China and against the Australians in New Guinea then throughout the Pacific theatre. Even after suffering serious wounds, he went back to defending the Japanese home islands permanently blind in one eye.

If you are interested in the air war, it's an extremely good read.