What DE should I start with?

What's my banner say? I'm using tapatalk and can't see :-( PJ I'm a bit of a loner using a straight anyway)
on the phone/tablet you can use the mobile browser to view to forum. It shows the banners and more.
Last I saw, yours says "Member". It's up to the Grand-Poobaa @Monsta_AU to change it believe...

Actually the tauntingly named one nearly sliced off the - what do you call the little bit at the middle front of the ear? With the front tip of the cadman yesterday [emoji51]
So you're actually a "slice-but-Nonick"...

Actually the tauntingly named one nearly sliced off the - what do you call the little bit at the middle front of the ear? With the front tip of the cadman yesterday [emoji51]

A simple matter to slide the peg from nose to the ear to stem the flow.

Styptic? We don't need no steenkin' styptic!

So to resurrect this discussion. I have a vintage Gillette somethingorother coming, and I'm interested in getting one of these if it's working for me.

What can you tell me comparing these razors?

Merkur 30C
Muhle R41
Muhle R89

I'm thinking a more aggressive razor would be better, even if I have to take it a bit slower to learn - if it requires concentration, well, my straight does every morning anyhow, so used to that. One pass shaving is good too, I don't want to mess around doing four passes to get out the door. No one mows their lawn this way. Hmm I'm learning towards the R41 at this point, how does the standard compare to the r41 filobiblic?

Hmm I'm learning towards the R41 at this point, how does the standard compare to the r41 filobiblic?
You can ask @stillshunter as well since he has both currently.

I think the Standard is a great one to start with, while still being quite efficient. It's got a nice balance of comfort and efficiency.

But I think that some like to shave daily with the R41. They aren't alive anymore, but they used it daily at some stage...probably just before becoming deceased actually...

One pass shaving is good too, I don't want to mess around doing four passes to get out the door.
No one mows their lawn this way.
I do at least a two pass on average when cutting grass.
Think it is an exercise in futility ?
Next time you go and cut the grass, mow it one way, then with an empty catcher, mow it the other way.
Depending upon the size of your patch, it will surprise you, particularly if you go at a 90 degree angle and do both ways that way too.
Some grasses (think fine) particularly when wet, practically demand it!

BOT, 37c is a slant that you would have the skill to use and is in between the slim and r41 from my experience, so it gives you an idea of relative aggressiveness with some smoothness.

You can ask @stillshunter as well since he has both currently.

I think the Standard is a great one to start with, while still being quite efficient. It's got a nice balance of comfort and efficiency.

But I think that some like to shave daily with the R41. They aren't alive anymore, but they used it daily at some stage...probably just before becoming deceased actually...
Agreed the Standard is smooth, you can throw it around your face with gay abandon - and yes with enough passes you will get a nice irritation-free shave. My concern is that you are coming from straights and so you come to DEs with a niggling subconscious demand for efficiency and closeness. On this count I'd recommend either the R41 or even maybe the Fatip. The former is easily sourced here in Oz, while the latter you need to go offshore. I actually am torn between these two razors - the Fatip is the safer, and arguably smoother, of the two but there is a small trade off in closeness/efficiency.

Bottom line is when you get it right with the R41 it feels so right - and I assume that's the feeling you get from a good straight shave.

Hmm the R41 comes up often and again.. So no ones talking about the 89.. Does anyone even have one?

Hmm the R41 comes up often and again.. So no ones talking about the 89.. Does anyone even have one?

I've had, and recently sold to @Dale.Whiley, an Edwin Jagger which is just a rebadged 89.

They are a great, middle of the road razor. Mild to mid in aggression and you will get a good comfortable easy shave. Great for a quick shave and you can throw it around your face with a fair degree of recklessness if you wish.

The R41 is a different beast. The 2011 version in particular in legendary. It is aggressive and demands respect. As @Nick the Knife says in his great review, Anyone want to try out the R41 Razor?, this is a razor that is noticeably different. It stands out and gets everybody's attention. Better? Not sure. Different? Hell yeah!

I had both a Muhle r89 and Edwin Jagger DE89 for a while. They have identical heads. I sold the Muhle because I preferred the slightly heavier weight of the EJ.

I love it. It's my go-to razor. It's mild though. If I'm shaving daily I like to do at least 2 passes. There is still a bit left after the first pass.

............Actually the tauntingly named one nearly sliced off the - what do you call the little bit at the middle front of the ear? With the front tip of the cadman yesterday [emoji51]

Not sure. Just hope you're not deaf in one ear.

I'm hearing you PJ! Well I'll find out what 'mild' means and whether or not I like it with the Gillette, and go from there. It would be in rotation with the straight so even an r41 wouldn't be used every day

I remain convinced if you think you'd like an EJ89 or R89, then you'll certainly love the Weber PH.

I remain convinced if you think you'd like an EJ89 or R89, then you'll certainly love the Weber PH.
A Weber is the answer to every question...
Want to buy a new razor? Weber.
Want to cook some meat? Weber.
Want to go for a drive? Weber.

I started with a DE89, moved to an old Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty), which I now use as my sole razor.
I do however have a rose gold Muhle R89 sitting in my cupboard for keeps - it will get used one day.