What is the deal with brushes> HELP! they are breeding...

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Well as you all know first were these two:

but these guys were a bit rough and, well, a disappointment. So they invited some cousins over:

then great grand pappy arrived:

Bit of a scrub and they look pretty swish these guys:

Next thing know there is a knock on the door, the posh cousin from up the hill arrives:

Things are going, OK then the mad uncle arrives:

Talk about scruffy, not sure he will be around long.

Things improve when the twins turn up:

I know that they are not identical twins but they are great conversationalists.

Finally the little lady arrives:

Beautiful isn't she?

I believe that there are two more cousins on the way. Not sure where we will put them. It could be getting a little crowded now.

Think I've got a little work to do with these too, some need a few rough edges knocked off their behaviour, others really could do with a clean and as for those haircuts - don't get me started!

Last edited:
Is great grand pappy getting a new wig? They're all nice looking brushes. The posh cousin looks brand new.

Once the twins doll themselves up and have lovely cleaned and sheer orange skirts, its best to keep mad uncle and posh in a separate drawer to them.

I think it goes without saying that little (ever ready) "lady" in the bright green mini needs to be hidden so the others don't know about her. If you ever want to get face deep with this one, it would probably be best to put the old nylon girl out of sight. It's the gentlemanly thing to do.

LOL!

Nice work with the metaphor guys!

The grand old pappy will get a new wig BUT it will just take a little time to save for it. I've measured the knot at 18mm so it will be off to Simpsons at some stage.

The twins and the lady will be subject to a TGN hairlift in due course me thinks after I practice on one of the first that arrived:

I used the steaming trick for the knot removal and the black section has some white areas on it from the steam. I'll see if those clean off. The knot doesn't seem to have been 'set' (see lingo like a pro!) that deep unless what I'm seeing is the glue base after the hair has been removed. I have a Dremel somewhere so presume that I just grind it down to set it deeper.

Of course this is the babbling of somebody with no knowledge so I'll be doing some research first.

Last edited:
...........The knot doesn't seem to have been 'set' (see lingo like a pro!) that deep unless what I'm seeing is the glue base after the hair has been removed. I have a Dremel somewhere so presume that I just grind it down to set it deeper.

Of course this is the babbling of somebody with no knowledge so I'll be doing some research first.

Yeah, you will have to set it deeper than that. I'm surprised both halves didn't come apart with the steaming. You might want to take all the gunk out from inside, seperate the handles and re-glue it together. The only two part brush I've done was a Peerless which fell apart, thankfully before I re-knotted it. Not something you want to happen after you've done it all. A dremel is handy. I could have done with one doing those Semoques. With older handles, it's pretty easy to get all the old glue out with a small chisel. Have fun. It's not hard.

Thanks mate,

I'll do some research to make sure I know what I'm doing before I go much further. I had a Dremel from when I used to build model tanks for wargaming (I still have about 300 in boxes somewhere - see a pattern here?)

I've not used it nor seen it for years but I'll hunt around and hope I find it. It would be quite useful I suspect.

Might give the posh one a clean and see how it goes in its current form. Not sure if this is a good idea but can't hurt I suppose (despite what Drubs may think)

Last edited:
Well it had to happen, more of the family arrived today.

At least these ones brought their own accommodation and room was running out. The Made Rite is in good condition, the Ever Ready seems to have a (stable) crack through the red base.

I believe that this is the last of the family to arrive - at least for now.

Last edited:
At least these ones brought their own accommodation and room was running out. The Made Rite is in good condition, the Every Ready seems to have a (stable) crack through the red base.

I believe that this is the last of the family to arrive - at least for now.

Small wonder us bottom enders on Ebay are finding it hard to get a bargain - you should be looking at the rhodium plated bottom dial (for the amount of bristles) brushes and leave the tacky stuff. Your razors will not be happy sharing accomodations with such a riff raffish family.

So when's all the rebuilding happening?

Currently negotiating with finance company for the loan to allow construction of the collection wing...

That'll be like a new Westfield being built on your street mate, to house your kit.

Well it has been a while but it seems that the second cousins have been invited over

A couple of the girls with nice hour-glass figures:

A butterscotch Simpson M1:

An unbranded butterscotch beauty (Best Badger London Made Sterilized):

All of them need a bath and probably a haircut. Not sure of the heritage of the last one. Probably not a Simpson but another UK maker - happy to be given any information on it.

Must get to cleaning and restoring some of these!

The steaming trick???

Quote:-

I used the steaming trick for the knot removal and the black section has some white areas on it from the steam.

Please explain! :huh:

Thanks,

Sunbird

LOL!

Nice work with the metaphor guys!

The grand old pappy will get a new wig BUT it will just take a little time to save for it. I've measured the knot at 18mm so it will be off to Simpsons at some stage.

The twins and the lady will be subject to a TGN hairlift in due course me thinks after I practice on one of the first that arrived:

I used the steaming trick for the knot removal and the black section has some white areas on it from the steam. I'll see if those clean off. The knot doesn't seem to have been 'set' (see lingo like a pro!) that deep unless what I'm seeing is the glue base after the hair has been removed. I have a Dremel somewhere so presume that I just grind it down to set it deeper.