What the......

Looks like he has finally come to his senses and realized that true collectors concentrate on the SE side of things. (And as it happens I will shortly have some fine examples he may wish to acquire).

But that is one truckload of razors - if they sell overseas youll need your own shipping container!

If you had been doing this a bit over 12 months ago Mark, there would be a large number of them coming to live with me.

I'm no collector but surely the objective is surely not to sell it off at a loss. Don't know what's compelling you to do this, Mark but I hope everything's OK. All seems a bit sad to me.

Hi guys,

Been popping in to respond all day but keep getting interrupted (my PA is off sick for 2 weeks - grrrr)

Firstly to be clear there is nothing wrong with me or mine.

We are just at a point in life where we have a couple of options for future directions. One could be described as a 'simpler' option and there simply wouldn't be room for the collection.

We haven't made any decisions about which way to go and in a moment of inspiration (madness?) I thought that I'd put these all up and see how we go - that might help with the decision. :D

If they don't sell as a lot and we take that path then I'll have to go through the process of a more sensible divestment strategy - I'm just being lazy expecting that somebody might take the whole kit and kaboodle.

Don't get me wrong I still love collecting but it is a lower order issue in the overall scheme of things. If we don't take this fork in the road it is most certainly business as usual - so stay out of my way on eBay.

I've had an approach from a collector in Belgium who is talking to some mates about whether they can band together for the lot, probably a good deal for them if they can. Still have to think about how it would work and be sure about the decision, so we shall see.

Hope that this explains things a little

Cheers guys!

Hi guys,

Been popping in to respond all day but keep getting interrupted (my PA is off sick for 2 weeks - grrrr)

Firstly to be clear there is nothing wrong with me or mine.

We are just at a point in life where we have a couple of options for future directions. One could be described as a 'simpler' option and there simply wouldn't be room for the collection.

Another TreeHugger gheaded for Byron Bay. :)

We haven't made any decisions about which way to go and in a moment of inspiration (madness?) I thought that I'd put these all up and see how we go - that might help with the decision. :D

If they don't sell as a lot and we take that path then I'll have to go through the process of a more sensible divestment strategy - I'm just being lazy expecting that somebody might take the whole kit and kaboodle.

Don't get me wrong I still love collecting but it is a lower order issue in the overall scheme of things. If we don't take this fork in the road it is most certainly business as usual - so stay out of my way on eBay.

I've had an approach from a collector in Belgium who is talking to some mates about whether they can band together for the lot, probably a good deal for them if they can. Still have to think about how it would work and be sure about the decision, so we shall see.
You realise it is a Federal offence to a facilitate the move of such a collection out of the country. Penalties include shaving with carts and shaving foam for a period of not less than 3 years. It would be intersting to be a fly on the wall if you get a good offer and have to make a final yesy or no decision. Good Luck either way.

If some blokes in the trade get together to buy it, it's a steal. Some of those things are worth a lot more sold as sets or individually than bundling them up.

Still, you can join the 1 razor club. It's small, but terribly exclusive.

......One could be described as a 'simpler' option and there simply wouldn't be room for the collection......

I know, you've decided to live in a tent. If it's not a money issue, put it all in storage for a few years (I know this great spot right here in WA) and then sell it off. It'll only gain in value. Alternatively develop a liking for detiled photography and become Australia's answer to CFM.

Last edited:
You realise it is a Federal offence to a facilitate the move of such a collection out of the country. Penalties include shaving with carts and shaving foam for a period of not less than 3 years. It would be intersting to be a fly on the wall if you get a good offer and have to make a final yesy or no decision. Good Luck either way.

Ummm, so where did this 'Another TreeHugger gheaded for Byron Bay. ' come from in my quote???? :blink:

I know, you've decided to live in a tent. If it's not a money issue, put it all in storage for a few years (I know this great spot right here in WA) and then sell it off. It'll only gain in value. Alternatively develop a liking for detiled photography and become Australia's answer to CFM.

Hmmm, hadn't thought about storage - interesting. I suppose I could farm them out - where would I keep that fourth shelf?????

While it isn't a money issue directly, I don't need to sell per se, it obviously can be used elsewhere rather than sitting around.

Part of the challenge with the status quo is time. I have razors I bought in January I've not touched to clean up and some from last year that I've thrown in the cabinet without a proper clean because I've been too busy.

We will see how we go.

Ummm, so where did this 'Another TreeHugger gheaded for Byron Bay. ' come from in my quote???? :blink:

OOPs sorry that was me being all fridayitisy. Apropos your next post - I just happen to have an empty granny flat down the back - even has air conditioning to keep the atmosphere just righ for the treasures. :)

.....While it isn't a money issue directly, I don't need to sell per se, it obviously can be used elsewhere rather than sitting around.

I'm sure it can be used elsewhere but in a couple of years time you'll be looking at the price of all those rare razors and kicking yourself for selling them at a price that has to be a loss. That's aside from the satisfaction you have from owning such an amazing collection. Don't be daft! It would be a different story if the collection lark has passed you by but as you're intending to continue with it, the whole thing doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm sure it can be used elsewhere but in a couple of years time you'll be looking at the price of all those rare razors and kicking yourself for selling them at a price that has to be a loss. That's aside from the satisfaction you have from owning such an amazing collection. Don't be daft! It would be a different story if the collection lark has passed you by but as you're intending to continue with it, the whole thing doesn't make any sense to me.

You may well be correct but if we take the 'simple life' route I will just leave collecting behind and become a one razor guy like Drubs. I admit that picking WHICH one might be a challenge, although it would probably be the Merkur 38C that started it all, the OCMM you sent me and my Red Ring.

I'd keep the L1 Aristocrat for my son too.

BTW - when has life ever made sense?

You may well be correct but if we take the 'simple life' route I will just leave collecting behind and become a one razor guy like Drubs. I admit that picking WHICH one might be a challenge, although it would probably be the Merkur 38C that started it all, the OCMM you sent me and my Red Ring.

All us vintage shavers with more than 5 or so razors know that picking 'which' one, is impossible. It really is. Drubbing can get away with it as he dislikes vintage gillettes or SEs of all kinds. I couldn't fool myself into thinking like that, so I'll never be a one razor guy, I need at least 4 or 5.

All us vintage shavers with more than 5 or so razors know that picking 'which' one, is impossible. It really is. Drubbing can get away with it as he dislikes vintage gillettes or SEs of all kinds. I couldn't fool myself into thinking like that, so I'll never be a one razor guy, I need at least 4 or 5.

Drubbing dislikes most things it seems :D - oops, even those!

The OCMM? That's wicked!