What's the deal with UK Wilkinsons?

Sure is. I almost feel guilty "posting" messages like this. I wonder if those lists have ever been legally challenged or at least officially questioned as to their usefulness as guidelines.

Believe me, every time I go to post something there is some regulation or other I have a lighthearted argument about... "Please don't stick a postage label on that one it falls foul of your own asinine regulations... But so do stamps, better save you the trouble of actually carrying the mail and myself the expense of using your service - unless of course it is all bullshit?" (Then they take the money and I go home and pace up and down wondering if it will make it as far as AQIS and a whole other heap of regulations to fall foul of :D)

What is the difference between
$(KGrHqFHJBkFJvoT+gm4BSfoRYoQP!~~60_12.JPG

and
$_12.JPG

Is it just the platinum hardened edges on the blue box?
Both are being sold on ebay uk by the same seller but the blues are a pound more expensive at GBP18.99 for 50. Both are too expensive for me so if they interest anyone go ahead.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see a conclusive revision of your list YKW hosted here mate :)

Not 1960s by that cellophane. Those are post light brigade & super sword blades.

Not sure. Not a packaging I have seen, but clearly the frontrunner to current packaging look & feel.

Until you open them and see what the printing is on the blade or wrapper, nobody knows. Being local seller it would either be English or Aussie production. Not sure if Wilkinson ever had a DE production line here though.

The seller told me she worked in a pharmacy/chemist for 40yrs and these were the ones they sold back then and it came from her late Uncles estate with a load of other gear from the sixties. Doesn't give me much confidence as the packaging of Wilkinson Sword blades (outside of Light Brigades and Super Sword) is pretty confusing. Bought one anyhow. We'll see.

Yes both. Neither of the examples I had were wrapped in cello. Light Brigades were plastic bubble packed onto a cardboard hangar, Super Sword was a plastic dispenser with individually wrapped blades as per the moderns, just no Cellowrap.

It's hard to tell how these rate in comparison as I think I have a dud blade. 3rd Shave down this morning with the Pureman OC Proto, not as close as I would like under the jawline on both side, but the neck is ok.

Well, the more I look at the whole UK Wilkinson thing the more confused I become. Here are Super Swords wrapped in cellophane:

$_57.JPG

And then there's these, another Sword fighting reference:

$_3.JPG

By the way, my 5 pack has arrived. Made in England:

$_3 (1).JPG

All I know is what I have. You photo is much better, and yes they do indeed look old and 60's-ish.

As you're the big kahuna of vintage blades I'll send you one to try. By the way, ditch the dud of the previous lot and start afresh with a new one. The markings and wrapping on both these blades are identical so beware of a mix up. If paper yellowing is any indication these appear to be older.

After sledging UK wilks as "rusty jam tin lids" IIRC a couple of weeks back i thought I had best actually try one.

Unfortunately I have to report that a rusty jam tin lids has more cutting power than the UK Wilk PJ gave me to try out a whiles back. The blade seemed in good order but it was just blunt like a butter knife. Did someone else report some of these as blunt? Weird - felt similar to the PSS I used to shave my beard off. Super smooth and entirely ineffective.

PJ generously gave me 3 blades I think so I will try again and see if any of the others are up to the task of taking down my peach fuzz. I'm not sure which these are but maybe PJ can chime in if he remembers.

Well I'm not sure which ones I gave you. Are the wrappers the same on all of them? As it happens I've just had a first shave with a Super Sword Edge and nothing but good news but a first won't tell much. The only bad Wilkies I've had are.............that's the whole damn problem with Wilkies they all look the same, generally have the same markings and it's not possible to tell which is which, particularly out of their dispenser.

I'm very happy with the 200 lot I got but again, nobody knows where or when they were made.

After sledging UK wilks as "rusty jam tin lids" IIRC a couple of weeks back i thought I had best actually try one.

Unfortunately I have to report that a rusty jam tin lids has more cutting power than the UK Wilk PJ gave me to try out a whiles back. The blade seemed in good order but it was just blunt like a butter knife. Did someone else report some of these as blunt? Weird - felt similar to the PSS I used to shave my beard off. Super smooth and entirely ineffective.

PJ generously gave me 3 blades I think so I will try again and see if any of the others are up to the task of taking down my peach fuzz. I'm not sure which these are but maybe PJ can chime in if he remembers.

Well, I just checked the various dates and the Wilkies I gave you must have been from my cherished 200 blade box. One of the best blades I've got. Looks like I'll have to have another stint with them to verify. You've now put doubt in to my mind. Even when you're not really trying, you manage to wind me up! Damn you @SmallYetDeadly