What's the fuss.. another noob giving SR a crack

StratMan

hey so first shave today with a SR ever.. thanks to @rbscebu loan razor a GD66

it was absolutely sharp, but still didnt glide over my skin... might need to play with lather a bit.. but yeah this SR brought a certain reality to the shave

only performed 3 x WTG on my cheeks today and reckon did well overall.. had one incident where I was shaving my right cheek and not being used to the blade length v DE razor width I came a little too close to my ear and pulled back but too late. cut my ear lobe but didnt feel a thing, very clean cut.. this razor is quite sharp :)

apart from that got a touch of razor burn in a couple of spots, nothing bad but I do know its there. I fully appreciate the skill require to shave with these things and reckon I intrigued in looking further into this art of shaving. will it take over DE for me? nah cant see that happening as DE is down to an art and I can do that in a 100% relaxed mood and thought process, I have been known to enjoy a drunken shave from time to time..

but with SR shaving no chance, no room for error so will just take my time to learn the skill and enjoy the journey

53240359603_561e10eac4_h.jpg

Congratulations on your first SR shave. Don't worry about a little blood. It only improves the lather slickness 😋.

You have the edge. It is now all down to developing your technique. I don't think you can ever SR shave on autopilot like you can with a "safety" razor.

SR razor burn comes from too much pressure and/or too obtuse a shave angle. Remember to start with the wettest lather possible (without dripping off your face). You can gradually work towards a drier later as you learn what will work best for you.

Don't SR shave to cut whiskers. Just shave to remove the lather. You whiskers will come away with the lather without you thinking about it.

One of beauties of SR shaving is that it always demands your complete concentration. That is why I find it so relaxing. While SR shaving, all other thoughts must go completely out of your mind. If not, your razor will let you know 😬.

Over time and many daily SR shaves, your technique will improve to where you will be getting your most comfortable, enjoyable and closest shaves ever.

Last edited:
Enjoy the journey @StratMan as you did while learning straights ;) (y)well prepped face, good slick lather, blade angle (aim for spine width) and stretch that skin.

Ears probably take the brunt of the nicks, who needs lobes anyway? (not Chopper)
PbmxCrD.png

Enjoy the journey @StratMan as you did while learning straights ;) (y)well prepped face, good slick lather, blade angle (aim for spine width) and stretch that skin.

Ears probably take the brunt of the nicks, who needs lobes anyway? (not Chopper)
PbmxCrD.png

cheers mate 👍 didn't even consider stretching the face this shave.

first goal was not end up like uncle chop chop, also happy I could do both sides with the right hand. the shave def had me on edge

cheers mate 👍 didn't even consider stretching the face this shave.

first goal was not end up like uncle chop chop, also happy I could do both sides with the right hand. the shave def had me on edge
When you shave, be in the moment. I know that sounds weird, so let me say it like this: focus your concentration. Don't think of anything else but making the perfect stroke and not getting cut.

As others have said, one or one and half spine thickness of gap between face and spine, that's all. Make short strokes and don't use the entire blade. Use the first third or half. Use no pressure, just like with the DE razor. Let the razor do the work.

I never thought I'd be a straight razor only guy, but as my skills increased with the number of shaves, I found I didn't particularly want to go back.

Be careful around your Adam's apple. Be gentle.

Enjoy.

When you shave, be in the moment. I know that sounds weird, so let me say it like this: focus your concentration. Don't think of anything else but making the perfect stroke and not getting cut.

As others have said, one or one and half spine thickness of gap between face and spine, that's all. Make short strokes and don't use the entire blade. Use the first third or half. Use no pressure, just like with the DE razor. Let the razor do the work.

I never thought I'd be a straight razor only guy, but as my skills increased with the number of shaves, I found I didn't particularly want to go back.

Be careful around your Adam's apple. Be gentle.

Enjoy.

thanks for the tips.. I was certainly with a steeper and and was trying to use full blade so two things to work on for sure

not even considering my neck area yet, not untill I get comfortable with the blade

53243478434_388f19571e_h.jpg

bought this proraso for slickness ages ago, cap had broken and there was a dry plug at the top at this point had no idea if soap blad ok. brought the DG as a backup but the proraso soap was actually very good.

Settled into the shave with two ATGs on the cheeks, too easy and much better than yday. Then I somehow got into my normal zen zone and started wielding the blade as if it were a DE and then disaster, i dug into my top left lip/cheek area. wow that brough reality home, took a little to stop the bleeding.

was gonna quit for the day at this point but decided to press on and ended on a strong note.

lesson for the day, get concentration and KEEP concentration throughout the shave.. was scary how I transitioned from peak concentration to relax mode, that's where danger lurks

@StratMan, you appear to be like me in being a slow learn but unlike me, you do learn 😊.

tell you what after that cut it really brought home how real this was and first instinct was to quit (for that shave session)

I now know that I do enjoy SR shaving and want to continue to learn, even more eager to learn to hone. There is something about gliding that razor on your face that DE doesn't give you.

I now truly understand why DE razors are known as safety razors

tell you what after that cut it really brought home how real this was and first instinct was to quit (for that shave session)

I now know that I do enjoy SR shaving and want to continue to learn, even more eager to learn to hone. There is something about gliding that razor on your face that DE doesn't give you.

I now truly understand why DE razors are known as safety razors
Agree, it’s easy to loose a little concentration especially after a few good passes.

You don't need to to do a full pass the first couple of shaves - it's ok to do a few strokes on the cheek and then finish with your DE razor. As you get more comfortable with the feel of the blade you can start to extend your repetoire of strokes. The chin area is always going to be the difficult bit, but you will get there eventually.

The other main tip is to use a good quality soap and as previously mentioned, make a really wet lather. I have found that if you have a mediocre edge but a good soap, you will still get a good shave. A good edge and mediocre soap will be a mediocre shave.

My first few shaves with a SR were pretty bad. I just couldn't work out the technique and it felt like the razor wasn't shaving properly. It wasn't the razor of course, but me. I persevered and now have just over 400 shaves with a SR. It took me over 30 shaves before I tried stuff like the Fool's Pass.

cheers

1. no alcohol prior to shaving
2. no music during shaving
My take on the above:

1. No alcohol prior to shaving - I have read of people with their glass of their favourite bevvy (usually whisky or bourbon) whilst shaving - yeh, the alcohol is definitely a factor, but for me, I like my single malt scotch to taste of the peat and heather of the highlands and the pure spring water from the Speyside . I don't want my $100 bottle of 12 year malt to taste like Taylor's of Old Bond Street.

2. No music - My Sunday night shaves are my "me time" and the music is part of my ritual. If I am shaving with one of my 1920's French razors, what better than some jazz music, Sidney Bechet is a favourite, an American jazz musician who lived and performed in Paris throughout the 1920's and 30's. Teddy Wilson, another jazz musician from the 20's and 30's also creates a great atmosphere. Of course it helps if you like this style of music in the first place. Other favourite artists are Frank Sinatra, (Where are You and the Wee Small Hours albums), Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday to name a few.

cheers
andrew

nice input @Mouette thanks.. I have been finishing with a DE dont you worry about that.. no chance i'll be putting that blade to my throat anytime soon :)

I only do my cheeks atm, but was feeling adventurous after my cheek passes due to overconfidence and went for the chin area, will def be sticking with cheeks for a bit from here on in

I dont usually drink before a shave but if i have it previously didnt bother me with a DE, in fact it added more atmosphere to the room but for now with SR, that will stop.

Totally agree with your lather comments, IMHO one of the most important aspects of shaving, DE or SR. But I am used to making my lather a little on the thicker side (Greek Yogurt).

Last night I made it more wet and runny than usual and agree it helps to allow the SR to glide better across the face so will be aiming to dial this in as i progress

in regards to Jazz, I now appreciate it (never used to) but havnt really gotten into it.. Def love the blues and the Greek blues (rebetika) and espeically from the same era you enjoy music from the 20s and 30s so I reckon its time to give Jazz a crack. On my next DE shave i'll be sure to seethat Sidney Bechet and Teddy Wilson are all about

In regards to alcohol, i def enjoy a nice scotch but I do not discriminate and happily enjoy a nice red, beer or my favourite a nice Ouzo

My take on the above:

1. No alcohol prior to shaving - I have read of people with their glass of their favourite bevvy (usually whisky or bourbon) whilst shaving - yeh, the alcohol is definitely a factor, but for me, I like my single malt scotch to taste of the peat and heather of the highlands and the pure spring water from the Speyside . I don't want my $100 bottle of 12 year malt to taste like Taylor's of Old Bond Street.

2. No music - My Sunday night shaves are my "me time" and the music is part of my ritual. If I am shaving with one of my 1920's French razors, what better than some jazz music, Sidney Bechet is a favourite, an American jazz musician who lived and performed in Paris throughout the 1920's and 30's. Teddy Wilson, another jazz musician from the 20's and 30's also creates a great atmosphere. Of course it helps if you like this style of music in the first place. Other favourite artists are Frank Sinatra, (Where are You and the Wee Small Hours albums), Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday to name a few.

cheers
andrew
I always shave in the morning (or not at all), so getting a head start on the single malt (Islay for me, thanks) is not a good idea if I have any plans for the rest of the day :facepalm:

But I'm with you re the jazz, though in my case nearly always of more recent work. Though I was raised and trained as a classical man. I do have to admit to a certain fondness for Bechet though, he was a consummate musician. (y)