What's your preshave routine?

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
I recently got Proraso green pre shave (after thinking preshaves were more a gimmick for years) and a shaving oil and it's working super well.

The king of shaves oil was $4 from Woolies and a tiny bit on a damp face, followed by the preshave has provided the smoothest shaves ever!

I'm starting to think the prep is more important than the soap. What's your preshave routine?

I'm starting to think the prep is more important than the soap. ...

Really? Not the lather being most important?

@alfredus?????

images

(Better get the big box)

Surely it depends on your beard. YMMV etc.
I shower, use a face wash and then sometimes use a conditioner on my beard. I then sometimes use Musgo Real Glyce soap to add more slickness. To be honest though, I rarely, if ever, see a marked difference in performance when using the various products.

Use what YOU like @Nonick

It doesn't matter if it doesn't improve the shave, as long as it doesn't make it worse and you enjoy the product for whatever reason, crack on.

Usual is a shower and a face scrub, I like non-foaming.
On occasion I like to spritz a hot towel with AdP Colonia, for nothing else other than it smells and feels great wrapped around my face. I've been contemplating buying a selection of hydrolates just for this very purpose.
https://www.aromantic.co.uk/home/products/hydrolates.aspx
It won't improve my shave one bit other than it will smell great.

I have skin that easily gets oily. A pre-shave wash with a decent soap and hot water makes a huge difference to me. It strips all those oils off the skin and the stubble before applying the shaving lather.

Otherwise the shaving lather gets compromised as it picks up all the oils on my skin.

I mix it up a bit, but the standard is just shower first, sometimes I use a cleanser/face wash, other times not.

I do have the proraso green and red preshaves, I don't use them that often (usually only when pairing them with the matching proraso soap). I find the green better than the red, and I like the extra menthol kick.

I've tried oils, but I feel they make my face 'tacky' and actually reduce glide rather than improving it.

Eggs and toast, too lazy to eat breakfast, i only eat brekky if i go away for work and the hotel i am in does it, or on the weekend. Still the same shave routine either way.

Pre-shave does nothing. I've tried them all.
What do I do?

Splash with cold water and shave.

Occasionally I will apply an oil if I have super dry skin but that is rare and it still does nothing for the shave. Just gets the hydration moving before I hit it with a blade.

Just wash my face with Cetaphil cleanser first, most other soaps give me a reaction.

I like to face lather, so that's a bit of a pre-shave routine in itself, haven't looked at pre-shave products since I got away from foam in a can. I concur with @UKSteve though, if you enjoy it use it!

Shower and face scrub. Lather and shave.

I did try Proraso green pre shave - its nice in summer with the menthol kick, but not sure it added anything to the shave. I finished the jar and haven't bought another one.
Ive also tried the "Pre-shave butter" from Mickey Lee soapworks - sandalwood smells amazing, but not sure it adds anything extra to the shave.

• Hot Shower, with a good drenching of the face.
  • Have brush and razor soaking in hot water.
  • bloom xoap by adding a small volumr of watr
  • Wash face with a good facial soap (currently using Valobra glicerlanolina)
  • Massage a 10c piece size blob of Myrsol Emulsion into the face
  • Load brush, but prior to putting brush to face, I scoop up the remnant protolather from the top surface of the puck and rub into my face,
  • Commence face-lathering, and add small amounts