What's you're experience with Muhle R41

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day P&C

Before I start planning my next shave soon with a Muhle R41 attach with a iKon Bamboo handle and I find the iKon Bamboo is much heavier than the iKon Bulldog handle, and this should help me shave much safer with the weight of the razor without applying pressure at all so what's you're experience with the Muhle R41 v2013 head which is the latest on the market.

The Muhle R41 v2011 is the most aggressive head I've read against the v2013, and what I find on the R41 v2013 showing a #2 on the head cap before you attach to the base plate and when I look at the Muhle R89 head cap showing a #4 and this is telling me the blade gap number on the head cap IF I'm not mistaken.

These 4 pictures below showing you the Muhle R41 head v2011 vs v2013
blade_exposure_zps2d87eb17.jpg
modlymodll_zps8e44cfb22_zps45a386c7.jpg

Muhle_top_zps86dfbb32.jpg
Muhle_base_zps2f876220.jpg

I've only used the R41 2011 from @JugsV2 and haven't compared it to the 2013 model. It was wicked and has a good amount of "blade feel". I'd never use it for a daily shaver but for every few days. Some of the lads here like it as a daily...

I had a 2013 model on loan from @khun_diddy for a bit. Managed to get 1 blood free shave after 5 tries...

I got it out of my system and definitely no need to go back

It is also VERY demanding on your blades - cuts down usage time significantly

The 2011 R41 I hated !!

I hated it because even though it provided a good shave, the end result was no better (or easier) than my Progress.
The comfort of the R41 was lacking for my sensitive skin. No blood, but the blade feel and slight neck irritation was not worth it.

The 2013 R41 was a little milder versus 2011 R41 and this time, the Progress provided a better shave with full comfort so again, no use for the R41.

I sold both models and never ever regretted.

I had a 2013 model on loan from @khun_diddy for a bit. Managed to get 1 blood free shave after 5 tries...

I got it out of my system and definitely no need to go back

It is also VERY demanding on your blades - cuts down usage time significantly

@alfredus how long ago have you tried the R41 v2013 and would you try again using a heavy handle like the iKon Bamboo or similar weight, I'm told if you used a heavy handle rather than using the original Muhle handle comes with the R41 should help minimize the shaving nick and neck irritation problem without applying pressure and keep the shaving speed between slow and normal as possible.

I have an R41 head that I picked up from @MrT. I put it on an OSS handle.
For my beard it is an incredible shave, the closest shave I can get. I have a course, wiry beard that needs 4 passes with an EJ89 to get anywhere near BBS. This gave me a BBS in 2 passes. Of course, it is aggressive, you have to be careful. But I found that with a laser focus I can get a great shave with no irritation fairly easily. I have found that a very steep angle works well with this razor (check out the Geofatboy clip).
My only complaint with this razor is that I find I don't need to shave the next day, it is that close.

I Have the 2013 R41 Grande, It's an excellent shaver however its not something i use on a regular basis, I find that its great if i have a four day growth it really gets the job done with minimal passes.

I find that with continued use as an every day razor its to harsh on me skin, since i got my Merkur Progress & now the Mergress i most likely won't be using it at all i
find the Progress/Mergress to be the perfect balance for my skin type once you work out what blade exposure suits you.

On a side note i have been using the Perma-sharp blades in the Mergress and they are a perfect match, shaved today its 5th use and the blade was still cutting and smooth like brand new, going to see how long it lasts for.

I'm asking for those who still have there Muhle R41 v2013 razor head would you reconsider to try shaving again with a heavier handle instead of the original handle, because you might get a complete different review when shaving and this should help minimize all kinds of problem with shaving nick, cuts and neck irritation IF you try and use a heavier handle without applying pressure.

@alfredus how long ago have you tried the R41 v2013 and would you try again using a heavy handle like the iKon Bamboo or similar weight, I'm told if you used a heavy handle rather than using the original Muhle handle comes with the R41 should help minimize the shaving nick and neck irritation problem without applying pressure and keep the shaving speed between slow and normal as possible.

No interested what so ever - had it with me last year...

I've never tried one (fatip grande is the most aggressive razor I have, and it's a bit of a love hate relationship at times) but it's been on my list of razors I've wanted to try since I started wet shaving.

It's on every wet shavers list - until you tried it :D

@alfredus now you understand why I've already got mine and I'll be shaving with my Muhle R41 v2013 with a iKon Bamboo Handle with a GSB blade very soon, because I not have the guts to use a feather blade over my dead body :cautious::oops::(

Last edited: