Where to turn?

Normie

So I had an horrific shave Wednesday night with the shavette. Possibly the new brush(got the body shop synthetic). Couldn't get a nice layer at all. So I nicked myself fairly well on my right jawline. I'm becoming quite disheartened with the shavette. It's harsh. Doesn't matter what blade I put in it, it's harsh. So I'm wondering should I look down the path of a double edge razor... Or should I jump into the rabbit hole of a straight, with the view to hone myself in due time?

Bestow your opinions on me!

Hi @Normie , it all depends. Do you really know how to shave with a shavette? Rhetorical question. Maybe you do maybe you don't. Some love them others including some guys who use a straight hate them with a passion and call them vicious little [censored]. A straight is nothing like a shavete, the blade length is way different the bevel on the blades is different so really they are very different.

Try this for a week if you have a DE, if not use a cartridge. Shave your checks only with the shavette until it feels confortable and finish the shave with the cart. Then add another piece of your face to the puzzle and eventually over about a month you will begin to feel confident with the angle and pressure for the shavette to the point you will happily tackle a full shave.

If you are not getting the lather you want try a bowl or face which ever is opposite to what isn't working for you.

@Mark does an excellent honed Gold Dollar at a very affordable price, talk to him as he has a wealth of knowledge he freely shares.

Straights and shavettes take time you have to put in. If you aren't prepared to take it slow to start with you will crash and burn quickly.

Hi @Normie , it all depends. Do you really know how to shave with a shavette? Rhetorical question. Maybe you do maybe you don't. Some love them others including some guys who use a straight hate them with a passion and call them vicious little [censored]. A straight is nothing like a shavete, the blade length is way different the bevel on the blades is different so really they are very different.

Try this for a week if you have a DE, if not use a cartridge. Shave your checks only with the shavette until it feels confortable and finish the shave with the cart. Then add another piece of your face to the puzzle and eventually over about a month you will begin to feel confident with the angle and pressure for the shavette to the point you will happily tackle a full shave.

If you are not getting the lather you want try a bowl or face which ever is opposite to what isn't working for you.

@Mark does an excellent honed Gold Dollar at a very affordable price, talk to him as he has a wealth of knowledge he freely shares.

Straights and shavettes take time you have to put in. If you aren't prepared to take it slow to start with you will crash and burn quickly.
Thanks @bald as, I think I was really disheartened with this particular shave. I'll go back to the old brush and the shaver heaven soap. Maybe I just needed some encouragement. I have the idea that I will step up to a straight eventually. I might just have to hit @Mark up soon...

Learn how to control the shavette as it will help you eventually with the ergonomics of a straight. We all have bad shaves. Sometimes there is no real answer. Usually though [in my case at least] poor prep, poor prep, poor prep and then impatience. Or it could just be my face doesn't want some sharp blade skimming its surface for some reason.

It all takes time but it is usually only 24 hours till the next practice session. :)

Learn how to control the shavette as it will help you eventually with the ergonomics of a straight. We all have bad shaves. Sometimes there is no real answer. Usually though [in my case at least] poor prep, poor prep, poor prep and then impatience. Or it could just be my face doesn't want some sharp blade skimming its surface for some reason.

It all takes time but it is usually only 24 hours till the next practice session. :)
I have the feeling that the brush could have been the culprit this time. Also, the soap was an old staple, but out of the rotation for a number of shaves. Will go back to the old regime for a few shaves.

The brush doesn't cut your chin. Even a cheap Chinese one will give a shaveable lather. I haven't cut myself with any of my brushes yet :) Try lathering in your palm - don't have the brush too wet when you load it and as the brush starts to build lather in your palm add small amounts of water. Keep adding water till the lather is glistening yet firm.

DE. Life's too short to have crap shaves and spend forever learning to get the same quality shaves from a straight.

DE. Life's too short to have crap shaves and spend forever learning to get the same quality shaves from a straight.
We never STOP learning new techniques, razors, soaps etc on the wet shaving journey. We are (or should be) forever learning. Like Mum said, "Good things take time".
:) There you are . And I thought the answer was 42?
(y)

Great advice above but my question is - what do you want?

Simple life, good results - DE

Sense of accomplishment, conquering the mountain feeling, longer learning curve, take the good with the bad but in the end have the cool factor - straights

Seriously, to me it is that simple. I admire those who shave with straights, I can see the appeal and at times am tempted - but at the end of the day I cannot be bothered and am happy with DEs.

Choose a path and walk along it.

And make sure you have the correct hiking boots!!

Come on mate - THAT is not the P&C spirit. Let me FTFY -

And make sure you have the correct hiking boots, and walking poles, and backpack, and hydration, and appropriate socks, some extra light clothing, special food etc etc and that you have done the appropriate preparation!!

And let me add my 2 cents as well - when you start out wet shaving, you have to conquer at the minimum these 4 new territories:
1. Bear Mapping
2 . Prep
3. Lather
4. Actual shave technique

Now 1-3 you have to learn in any case - no matter what razor you decide to use. So if you break it down, you have to master quiet a few things, and by starting out with the (arguably) most challenging razor (shavette) you set yourself up for failure...

As there are no real shortcuts for 1 and 2 depends on experimenting, to find out what is the right prep for you, I always recommend to take the easiest route for 3 and 4.

For 3: a solid good synthetic brush with a great and easy to lather soap. (Think Plisson synthetic, Stirling Kong, RazoRock Plisoft, Whipped Dog synthetic,... and for soaps Shaver Heaven, Stirling,...)
For 4: a mild modern DE

Now I know: you have to spend money and you can't buy everything at the 7-11 around the corner...but you will make your life much more enjoyable - the choice is yours.

@alfredus, can you have a tutorial organised for us tomorrow as I've always wondered how to map a Bear before lathering and shaving him :)

Excellent advice.

I will head off now to catch one of the dogs to see if I can map him before I lather and shave him. I don't have a bear to map.

Feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood. :)

And let me add my 2 cents as well - when you start out wet shaving, you have to conquer at the minimum these 4 new territories:
1. Bear Mapping

Yeah, that bear mapping is a KILLER!

BTW - you been hanging around those US forums lately @alfredus ???

[we are a HARSH audience aren't we mate ;)]

. Usually though [in my case at least] poor prep, poor prep, poor prep and then impatience.

Had another shave this evening. So much different. I think maybe you hit the nail on the head @bald as, poor prep! I also stuck a new Astra blade in the shavette. Went back to the shave heaven but persisted with the body shop synth. Was more pleased with the synth tonight. Still not 100% about it yet, but much better performance tonight. Made the shave much more enjoyable. 3 passes tonight, 1 wtg, 2 xtg - except for the neck where it was 1 xtg and 1 atg. Still think I'll be contacting @Mark sooner rather than later, but no panic stations anymore. Thanks for all the encouragement

@Normie. Trust me I know what you mean by nasty shavettes, that's what I started on and used for ages years ago before I was on any shaving forum. Straights are definitely easier to use and more forgiving, although there is a learning curve it really shouldn't take that long but worth it in the long run imo, I find them a real pleasure to use. I exclusively shave with straight razors because that's what I enjoy and occasionally reach for a DE that I enjoy too, it's an art on it's own. Do what you enjoy and don't listen to anyone that tries to steer you away, at least you can't say you've never tried it.

So have I been doing it wrong all these years?