Which badger for me?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Bowl/scuttle lathering not face - ever.
Not a large budget. In fact I shouldn't be considering anything new really.
I have Horse and boar but have never had a Badger brush. These work well [what I already have] and I don't know there will necessarily any major benefit but :) don't want to feel I'm missing something.

Steve

Bowl/scuttle lathering not face - ever.
Not a large budget. In fact I shouldn't be considering anything new really.
I have Horse and boar but have never had a Badger brush. These work well [what I already have] and I don't know there will necessarily any major benefit but :) don't want to feel I'm missing something.

Steve

Feeling that you are missing something leads to madness and a collection of 20 different brushes. Questions to ask yourself. Do your present brushes create a lather? If they have a hard bit to hang onto at one end and hairy bits at the other, I suspect the answer would be yes. Searching for shaving Nirvana will lead you to leap from bandwagon to bandwagon. Why the total ban on face lathering? Many of us do that exclusively - whether a cream a soap or anything in between. Should you have a large discretionary income I would politely suggest it would be better spent on single malt scotch than on chasing the dream for the perfect brush.

As far as I know the only decent budget badgers worth considering are from Whipped Dog. If you are after a luxurious face feel, consider the silvertip from Larry.

Having said that: if you only bowl lather and then paint the lather on, I really don't see a difference what brush you use. And if your #1 Stallion is only half as good as the Vie-Long horses I have tried...there will not be any real difference at all...

But then again, I never had a top end badger before.

Sound advice, now that is not what I expect from a shaving forum. I don't have a large discretionary income of any kind. As for malt scotch I politely suggest drinking uncut jet fuel would be more pleasant, for me :)

There is nothing at all wrong with my Turkish horses in fact they are exceptional. Well it stimulated a short informative conversation.

A decent badger from the usual suspects isn't happening south of $50-70. Can't speak for the budget ones, except to say badger is generally overrated when boar and horse can do the same thing for pennies. I'd suggest giving the Body Shop Synth a crack instead. $10 and available everywhere.

A decent badger from the usual suspects isn't happening south of $50-70. Can't speak for the budget ones, except to say badger is generally overrated when boar and horse can do the same thing for pennies. I'd suggest giving the Body Shop Synth a crack instead. $10 and available everywhere.
It's a bit scritchy though, isn't it? I know a bit harder to get, but I think the omega ones are better value for (the same) money.

Sound advice, now that is not what I expect from a shaving forum. I don't have a large discretionary income of any kind. As for malt scotch I politely suggest drinking uncut jet fuel would be more pleasant, for me :)

There is nothing at all wrong with my Turkish horses in fact they are exceptional. Well it stimulated a short informative conversation.

Sorry, I didn't want to cut anything short. I'll bring my WD silvertip, my Vie-Long horse and my WD synth along on Sunday and you can have a look and feel for yourself...

I think A Simpsons Chubby 3 would tick all of your boxes.

No one cut anything short, I was acknowledging my wandering toward the brush strewn rabbit hole :)

But certainly bring the brushes as I may have an increase in funds. Not likely though.

What fields do you perceive your current brushes have a deficit in ?
If you bowl lather, I recommend a total length in excess of 100mm.

What fields do you perceive your current brushes have a deficit in ?
If you bowl lather, I recommend a total length in excess of 100mm.

My #1 Turkish has everything I need. The loft alone is about 80mm. I was curious about other brush qualities but am aware the brushes I currently have cover all my needs perfectly. I need to leave my computer keyboard alone on a Sunday afternoon.

Steve

You're in SA right ?
Sure you will find someone down there that will accommodate a loan of one of their badgers if you ask kindly enough or loan something of yours that they're interested in trying :)

I'm sure Alfedus has more brushes than I can imagine. He will be bringing more along to our Sunday met up so I can continue to dream. My shave this morning was with my #6 Horse hair and I cannot fault it. I don't really need another brush considering the ones I have but I'm probably not a minimalist in reality.

If you're not face lathering and particularly if you are using hard soaps, then a good option would be Best Badger or even Pure Badger. Both of these options will save you significant cash over Silvertip.

I'm sure Alfedus has more brushes than I can imagine. He will be bringing more along to our Sunday met up so I can continue to dream. My shave this morning was with my #6 Horse hair and I cannot fault it. I don't really need another brush considering the ones I have but I'm probably not a minimalist in reality.
Unfortunately not. As of today 1 badger, 2 horses (1 broken), 2 boars and 2 synthetic.

2 others are to be given away...more to follow soon!

Yeah badger is far more expensive and yes a boar can do the same thing but given a choice I grab a badger nearly every time. Don't listen to Drubbing. He's a brush tart who goes with whatever's the latest, newest and shiniest. It's synthetic at the moment. Tomorrow he'll do a five year back flip and go back to Smogs.

Yeah badger is far more expensive and yes a boar can do the same thing but given a choice I grab a badger nearly every time.

When did this happen. $5 boars not good enough for you no more?

Don't listen to Drubbing. He's a brush tart who goes with whatever's the latest, newest and shiniest. It's synthetic at the moment. Tomorrow he'll do a five year back flip and go back to Smogs.

Not happening. I bought a load of smogs before realising they were terrible. Remember, I was in the Death Star grip of YKW at the time and was cutting the smogs months of slack.