Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I've shown below the SEs I've got to chose from - which one shall I use for my first SE shave?

They are marked (L to R)

Every-Ready, GEM Junior, GEM

GEM Junior for absolutely no reason than I like the look. Do remember its a whole different feel to DE. Have fun

Glen

LOL! There is gold in them there hills!

I don't recognise the ER. It doesn't appear to be a 1924, which hinges at the front. If it is I'd stay clear of it for a bit. On the whole looking at distance from the front edge of the top gaurd to the comb it seems to have a hefty blade exposure. Both the GEM 1912s are fine to use first off. All 1912s have basically the same head design and are mild/medium razors. I thought in one of your pictures (not the recent ones) I noticed a Featherweight (faux ivory plastic handle). That would be the one I'd use. Which blade have you got? There's only really a choice of three so you can't go too far wrong.

In any case go slow, keep the head pretty close, almost level with your skin and use just enough pressure to keep the razor to your face. Enjoy the noise! It actually takes you back to start with because a lot of noise with a DE blade usually means it's time to reach for the plasters.

Last edited:
I survived!

I used the GEM Junior on Glen's advice ;) with my GEM blade from Connaught.

Noisy but not THAT different from some DEs I've used. A slightly different style - reminded me of the new R41 in terms of angle and a fairly pleasing first result. A couple of weepers as a result of momentary over-confidence on the first pass but all in all not too bad.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys!

Welcome to the other side. Now instead of being known as AC/DC you can join the select group known as SE/DE.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Hmmm, third shave today with the GEM Junior. Getting the hang of it.

Anybody want to buy a couple of hundred DEs?

M-u-s-t

r-e-s-i-s-t

t-h-e

d-a-r-k (SE)

s-i-d-e

M-u-s-t

r-e-s-i-s-t

t-h-e

d-a-r-k (SE)

s-i-d-e

Don't do that. They're wicked looking razors. It's nice to use both technologies. Just wait to you get your hands on some of the SE TTOs or the GEM Jewel, or the Ever Ready Streamline, or........ It does feel good to see a Gillette stalwart like yourself being tempted away from DEs.

Don't do that. They're wicked looking razors. It's nice to use both technologies. Just wait to you get your hands on some of the SE TTOs or the GEM Jewel, or the Ever Ready Streamline, or........ It does feel good to see a Gillette stalwart like yourself being tempted away from DEs.

SE TTOs! WOW.....

WOW, three threads getting activity - and all of them about SEs. :eek:mg:

Maybe a change is coming....

SE TTOs! WOW.....

I can PIF you an Open Comb Micromatic (OCMM to SE dudes) if you wish and if you don't like it you can PIF it on to someone else. I don't get on with it. It'll at least give you a taste of SE TTOs. Very well built heavy machines. PM me your address if you're interested.

I can PIF you an Open Comb Micromatic (OCMM to SE dudes) if you wish and if you don't like it you can PIF it on to someone else. I don't get on with it. It'll at least give you a taste of SE TTOs. Very well built heavy machines. PM me your address if you're interested.

A PIF, for me! Doesn't happen too often, not much I can be PIFFed :sad2:

Sounds great though - I'll shoot my address to you.

Thanks!

Hmmm, third shave today with the GEM Junior. Getting the hang of it.

Anybody want to buy a couple of hundred DEs?

Fourth shave. Threw it around in a rush like a DE to test it out - passed with flying colours.....

Fourth shave. Threw it around in a rush like a DE to test it out - passed with flying colours.....

Shave number 5 - same blade, too easy now :confused:

DAMM you people - every time I look on eBay now I see interesting looking SEs and kinda cool looking old brushes!!!!!!!!!!