Which soap to try next?

rm71

I have the soaps below in my rotation and looking for something new. The only disappointing soap in my list for me is the Truefitt & Hill Luxury shave soap. What do you guys recommend next?

Euro Palmolive
Arko
Mennen Shave
Tabac
T&H Shave Soap
Speick
Cella
Valobra
La Toja
Proraso

Mitchells Wool Fat? You could also go artisan, something like Mike's Natural or Barrister & Mann or Stirling.

Yeah, I agree. MWF is the standout omission of that list. The only other 'old school' soap missing from the list is Vitos.

You could of course look at getting some P.160 which is very much like Cella. It is a much more 'Marzipan' scent than the straight almond of the Cella.

You might consider a different 'Big 4' brand like TOBS, Trumpers or DR Harris. It's a shame that you were not a fan of the T&H. I love their 1805 Cream that I got in a sampler.

Vitos? Where do you get it and what is it like?? I've tired TOBS lavender before and it was so-so. Maybe DR Harris?

I know shaving.ie stock it by the kilo. Never used it before myself as I am more of a cream sort of bloke. Also, when I started out on this sort of thing my water supply was very hard and not very suitable for soaps but I got decent results from creams. I guess you stick with what you know and are comfortable with.

Harris might be a different choice, they have some quite different scents. @Drubbing likes their Arlington scent I think, but wasn't a fan of Marlborough. Trumpers Eucris also gets good reviews generally but I haven't tried it or the scent at all.

The Edwin Jagger soaps are very cheap in comparison with the 'Big 4' so might be worth a try. I have always been interested in their 'Sea Buckthorn' scent. Sounds interesting.

Once you get past that then you are looking at the likes of RazoRock, Mondial and the other limited release stuff.

I should also say that the creams from TOBS/D.R. Harris/T&H all seem to be regarded much better than the soaps of the same scent. If you're unimpressed with the soap version, you might be interested in trying the creams instead. I can only speak for TOBS in that regard, but the Jermyn Street cream is fantastic. I've always been intrigued by the D.R. Harris Windsor scent.

Impressive rotation of soaps there @rm71

The Edwin Jagger soaps are very cheap in comparison with the 'Big 4' so might be worth a try. I have always been interested in their 'Sea Buckthorn' scent. Sounds interesting.
If you're (or anyone's) keen to try an Edwin Jagger soap, I have their Sandalwood that I only lathered once. Happy to swap out for something different. @rm71 if you have any doubles or something you're not so keen on - whatever's left - let me know and we'll trade. I'd go for anything in your list except Euro Palmolive and Cella really.

I can only speak for TOBS in that regard, but the Jermyn Street cream is fantastic.

Any tips on how to get a thick and creamy lather from Jermyn Street? It's my bogey cream/soap. I've tried squeezing some directly into a damp brush and face lathering or bowl lathering. MWF and MW are no problems for me but this one is such a pain. Common sense would say use more product but I would have to squeeze out a lot to get the desired result.

A double almond sized dollop maybe. Twice the amount that I would squeeze out of a Proraso tube.

I use a bowl rather than a tube. Generally I just wet the brush under hot water, shake it out, dip it into the bowl a couple of times and move to my lathering bowl and start adding water.

Never had an issue. Ever. Jermyn always goes well.

I gotta second @Monsta_AU with what he says, I have used Jermyn for a couple years now and never had an issue getting lather. I face lather, stopped using a bowl ages ago but either way, you shouldn't have an issue lathering with it.

Maybe you have a dud tube.

Hmmm, I squeeze out same amount as I would a tube of Proraso or D R Harris. Shake out excess water from my brush and away I go. Bowl or direct face lather makes no difference. I'll try again, using more cream, tomorrow.

Hmmm, I squeeze out same amount as I would a tube of Proraso or D R Harris. Shake out excess water from my brush and away I go. Bowl or direct face lather makes no difference. I'll try again, using more cream, tomorrow.
Maybe send it to me and see if I can get better results