Why do people choose a DE when a straight shaves better?

@Razor Burn, I normally shave exclusively with with my right (dominant) hand. I can and do include my left hand occasionally, preparing for a time when I may not be able to shave with my right hand.

My younger brother took up SR shaving last April. He then had a tremor in his right hand and that first shave was a bloody mess.

He persisted and within a few months the tremor was gone when he was SR shaving. I don't know how this happened. Maybe he just subconsciously developed a way to control his tremor whilst SR shaving.

For me, straight razors have been the ultimate standard for showcasing the efficiency of a perfect shave, achieving a sharp, clean DFS++ to BBS without any irritation. My routine consists of shaving twice in a WTG direction, whether using a straight razor or a DE razor. While I aspire to shave XTG from ear to chin, I find myself more prone to nicks, especially when using my left hand on the right side of my face. Although I have the ambidextrous skill to handle a straight razor, I struggle to shave with a DE razor using my left hand. Mastering the art of straight shaving demands a bit more skill, which I believe is a significant part of its allure, ultimately leading to the immense satisfaction it provides. With the ability to compare straight razor and DE razor results, I've narrowed down modern DE razors to those that deliver an equally gratifying shave. IMHO, the result is no better than the best DE shave, especially when using a beloved razor like the Blackbird. Moreover, the process of honing and shaving with a personally sharpened blade provides greater level of satisfaction than cutting tomatoes with a freshly sharpened knife. I would also say the nick count is equal for both but they tend to be in different areas and I have never had razor burn or irritation from a straight

I still like my many DE safety razors and they are just the ticket when I'm in a real hurry because there is nothing to do but shave and rinse. However, in my lifetime I have had more irritation and more weepers and cuts that I have so far with a straight razor. I am no expert on a straight razor, but I have at least three hundred sixty shaves with them. In all that time I've had exactly one tiny cut and four weepers and zero irritation. So, based on my small about of experience compared to some of you guys, I think "safety" is exaggerated in DE razors.

I remember starting out shaving in the late '60s. I had either a Gillette Slim or Fat Boy (I ended up with both and can't remember which came first. I didn't have anyone to teach me to shave and I always had cuts. I had little wads of toilet tissue stuck to my face nearly every time I shaved. when forced to go to multiblade monsters because of the military, I got ingrown hairs, weepers, and irritation. I finally went back to DE and had learned a lot about shaving by that time. Gone were ingrown hairs, but irritation happened time to time and a couple of weepers, but no cuts. However, the straight razor was a revelation! I get a great and enjoyable shave each and every time. YMMV.

I have reduced my collection of DE's to the bare minimum, that is, just my Red Tip. That is the razor I discovered I could shave every day with. I have had many Aristocrats, my first ever DE, for instance, was an original-cased, Australian Set #15, that I got for peanuts when I knew absolutely nothing. Acquired a few more when I got smarter, but I just let them go. They were collecting dust, and I am no collector. I like to shave with what I have, if I am not using an item, I'd rather recoup some of my investment and let somebody else be happy with it.

I also have a couple of Shick's, thats for when I'm in a real hurry, but for me, shaving with a SR, achieving that GBS (Goddess Boobies Smooth ™️) under the neck and on both my lips is the ultimate test, and the one that gives me the most satisfaction.

I have successfully managed to achieve this with just WTG+ATG+Touch ups, although somedays I will go for a full, second ATG pass.

I really like the goddess boobies imagery. Can't get more evocative than that :p
giphy.gif

ATG? Most definitely. I also include a Coupé de Maître (aka fool's pass or ATG on the upper lip) in every daily shave. This I find is the best test of a blade's edge quality.

As my SR shaving technique developed, I found that my BBS result (including an ATG pass) was just too good. Twenty-four hours later I had nothing to shave again. I then dropped the ATG (except for the CdM) and replaced it with a second XTG in the opposite direction. This still have me a BBS style finish but not so much that I didn't have something to shave 24 hours later.

I don't shave just for the finished result. Being a SR shaver, I shave for the pure enjoyment of the shave. Like most enjoyable things in life, I don't want it to end any time soon. I have worked out a routine to where I can extend my shaving time to well over 30 minutes.

Blade maintenance is also an enjoyable part of SR shaving for me. This adds about 3 or 4 minutes to my shave routine. There is a great feeling of satisfaction in shaving with a edge that you prepared and maintain yourself.

All that being said, SR shaving is not for everyone. It takes time, commitment and concentration to become proficient. Some just don't have one or more of those attributes to succeed.

Which ever way you choose to shave, be it carts, electric, DE/SE razors of SRs, the main thing is to enjoy your shaving.

there u go, I never knew and if that's the case I can see how one can get a closer shave. Problem for me is that going WTG on a straight concerns me, going ATG scares the living bejeezus out of me.. at times I do consider it but flashbacks of mafia movies put me back in my place

don't think I can ever bring myself to do it

Yes, absolutely. It takes a tad of practice, confidence in your hands and confidence in your edge, but there is absolutely no good reason not to go ATG with a straight. Upper lip is delicate, I find my hardest whiskers are there, but you end up developing methods to deal with that.

A small problem that can affect negatively ATG is hair growth direction. I have a spot on my neck where it grows in such way that going ATG is an ergonomic challenge, particularly with longer straights. I end up adopting quite a funny position just for that bloody square cm.

But yes, you most definitely can go ATG. My later SOTD, I could glide my finger from my Joey's apple to the chin and feel absolutely no stubs, nothing, just pure, well hidrated skin.

I can only imagine how close the ATG would be then.. so in addition to the fear of excessive blood loss while I learn, this is a rabbit hole I just cant bring myself to fall in, especially since I have already fallen into another one :)

soon as I sort out my next pedals, I'll be looking to replace my pickups with some nice customs

there u go, I never knew and if that's the case I can see how one can get a closer shave. Problem for me is that going WTG on a straight concerns me, going ATG scares the living bejeezus out of me.. at times I do consider it but flashbacks of mafia movies put me back in my place

don't think I can ever bring myself to do it
The scariest part of SR shaving is that first stroke in your first SR shave. It is then you realise that movies do not reflect real life.

Then never swim in the ocean.

problem is i love the ocean, i love swimming, i love fishing.. The only holidays I ever go on are close to the ocean, and hotel rooms with Ocean view... both my parents were born on an island in Greece, and i was born on this island/continent..

mind you I have been thinking of going shark cage diving of Neptune Island, it will either cure my fear...... or kill my by heart attack

problem is i love the ocean, i love swimming, i love fishing.. The only holidays I ever go on are close to the ocean, and hotel rooms with Ocean view... both my parents were born on an island in Greece, and i was born on this island/continent..

mind you I have been thinking of going shark cage diving of Neptune Island, it will either cure my fear...... or kill my by heart attack
On a scale, I'd much rather be eaten by a shark than a croc. But then, I'd much rather die in my sleep...

I was just on the Rodney Fox when she was out of the water and refurbished - fantastic boat and highly recommended!

Not this time...they are getting a new cage in PT Lincoln...