Yaqi Delorian SS

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
oXYPiIe.jpg
Yxkwzbw.jpg

In this shave, blade used was Personna Lab Blue, soap was DR Harris Lavender soap and I had a 2 day beard growth. The head is almost an exact duplicate of the Hanson razor and I therefore expected it to be extremely smooth and mild. Although this razor is a twin in looks to the Hanson razor, in shaving they are polar opposites. It has lots of blade feel, is extremely efficient but not threatening at all and gave me an easy two pass BBS (WTG, XTG). Also, I didn’t notice the suction feeling that was present with the Hanson. The shave itself was smoothish and I would compare it to the Blackbird in efficiency.

I’ve stop buying Yaqi razors as the quality control isn’t up to scratch from time to time
I only bought it because the head design intrigued me. As for build quality, it’s as good as the Pearl razors. Maybe I got lucky.

Reactions: Hos
I didn’t understand your question so I am posting an image. Hope it helps.
uMo0Uok.jpg
Thanks the blade sit on the top cap instead of the base plate, some new razor design that allows a blade sit on the base plate instead of the top cap.

Sometimes it’s very difficult to remove the blade from the base plate, which can be too flat when they don’t allow enough blade over hang to allow the blade to be remove from the base plate.

I've been eyeing off one of these for a while now but keep putting it off because I prefer a straight razor. It's funny because the 14 straight razors I own aren't enough but the 6 safety razors I own seems excessive.

I've used this head before, it was a pre-production piece and it shaves well. There is audible feedback as with most Yaqi razors, plenty of blade feel and efficiency, but was as you said @Rhinehoth, smooth. Definitely one to look into if you want a bit of variety. The way the blade curves is entirely at the edge of the base plate, where the top cap geometry forces the blade to curve slightly, about 1-2mm back from the cutting edge. Not sure if I like that, but it shaves well.

Thanks the blade sit on the top cap instead of the base plate, some new razor design that allows a blade sit on the base plate instead of the top cap.

Sometimes it’s very difficult to remove the blade from the base plate, which can be too flat when they don’t allow enough blade over hang to allow the blade to be remove from the base plate.
The top cap has a slight overhang from the bottom plate but it’s not as pronounced as on the Blutt razor.
I've used this head before, it was a pre-production piece and it shaves well. There is audible feedback as with most Yaqi razors, plenty of blade feel and efficiency, but was as you said @Rhinehoth, smooth. Definitely one to look into if you want a bit of variety. The way the blade curves is entirely at the edge of the base plate, where the top cap geometry forces the blade to curve slightly, about 1-2mm back from the cutting edge. Not sure if I like that, but it shaves well.
I was really surprised at how efficient and yet safe the razor was. The Hanson razor was safe too, but in no way could you call it efficient (I had the mild Hanson). I was going to get the Hanson titanium aggressive razor because I don’t like aluminium razors, but I won’t bother now.

Last edited:
@Rhinehoth did you get the Telstar head?

https://www.thewetshavingco.com/col...cts/yaqi-de-safety-razor-head-316-cnc-telstar

Looks like a cross between a Lupo and a Rocca.

Also noticed they have individual names for the heads on their own web pages but completely different names when purchasing in combo with handles. Ultimately confusing. On its own this head you have is called Akari.

https://www.thewetshavingco.com/pro...1&_sid=847e4654d&_ss=r&variant=39597619118150

Dave at the Wet Shaving Co explained the name to me a while ago. The Delorian is an anagram of the Mandalorian from Star Wars and the DeLorean car. The head looks like the Madalorian's helmet and the Handle is stainless steel like the DeLorian,

@Rhinehoth did you get the Telstar head?

https://www.thewetshavingco.com/col...cts/yaqi-de-safety-razor-head-316-cnc-telstar

Looks like a cross between a Lupo and a Rocca.

Also noticed they have individual names for the heads on their own web pages but completely different names when purchasing in combo with handles. Ultimately confusing. On its own this head you have is called Akari.

https://www.thewetshavingco.com/pro...1&_sid=847e4654d&_ss=r&variant=39597619118150
Yes I did

My reviews:

Yaqi Telstar SS razor:

I don't have the RR Lupo so I can't compare but the Yaqi Telstar is an impressive razor!

Full stainless steel with a beautiful machined/brushed finish.

It is an efficient razor, and fairly comfortable.
The shave reminds me of the karve E plate.
It has fairly high blade feel but despite this, the blade control is good, with fairly low blade chatter. The face feel would also be around the karve F plate.

Riding the cap works better as the blade lays fairly flat in the razor head without a pronounced blade bend.

Yaqi Tile SS razor:

The Yaqi "Tile" has become one of my favorite razors!

It's essentially the Henson design but in heavy stainless steel, which made all the difference as the lightweight Henson AL medium didn't work for me as all.
Aluminium razors like Henson, ATT and karve didn't work well for me, just couldn't get through my stubble without pressure and momentum!

The Yaqi Tile is brilliant! Minimal blade feel, zero blade chatter and just so comfy, smooth and efficient.
The angle is so easy to find and it works awesome riding the bar (which is the angle automatically provides due to the flat surface).

Efficiency is around the karve D plate, perhaps a tad higher, but with muted blade feel due to the zero chatter design. The "face feel" or blade feel would be a bit less than karve C plate.

The blade has a very extreme bend, pinch point is near the edge and the blade reveal is minimal (essentially just the cutting edge). These factors lead to a razor that provides medium/high efficiency with minimal blade feel and ZERO blade chatter.

This combination makes problem areas much less work than compared to razors that may have "aggressive numbers" but still cause issues such a blade chatter and feel harsh on the skin, whilst providing the required efficiency.
The Yaqi Tile removes these negatives whilst maintaining the efficiency.

It reminds me of the ATT Windsor H, which is one of my favorite razors due to its minimal chatter and high efficiency.

I love the razor with sharper blades like Polsilver and BIC chrome platinum.
The BIC is sharper and ultra smooth in the Tile.

The Henson head is a game changer in razor design and that design combined with the weight of stainless steel has truly blown my mind!!

My reviews:

Yaqi Telstar SS razor:

I don't have the RR Lupo so I can't compare but the Yaqi Telstar is an impressive razor!

Full stainless steel with a beautiful machined/brushed finish.

It is an efficient razor, and fairly comfortable.
The shave reminds me of the karve E plate.
It has fairly high blade feel but despite this, the blade control is good, with fairly low blade chatter. The face feel would also be around the karve F plate.

Riding the cap works better as the blade lays fairly flat in the razor head without a pronounced blade bend.

Yaqi Tile SS razor:

The Yaqi "Tile" has become one of my favorite razors!

It's essentially the Henson design but in heavy stainless steel, which made all the difference as the lightweight Henson AL medium didn't work for me as all.
Aluminium razors like Henson, ATT and karve didn't work well for me, just couldn't get through my stubble without pressure and momentum!

The Yaqi Tile is brilliant! Minimal blade feel, zero blade chatter and just so comfy, smooth and efficient.
The angle is so easy to find and it works awesome riding the bar (which is the angle automatically provides due to the flat surface).

Efficiency is around the karve D plate, perhaps a tad higher, but with muted blade feel due to the zero chatter design. The "face feel" or blade feel would be a bit less than karve C plate.

The blade has a very extreme bend, pinch point is near the edge and the blade reveal is minimal (essentially just the cutting edge). These factors lead to a razor that provides medium/high efficiency with minimal blade feel and ZERO blade chatter.

This combination makes problem areas much less work than compared to razors that may have "aggressive numbers" but still cause issues such a blade chatter and feel harsh on the skin, whilst providing the required efficiency.
The Yaqi Tile removes these negatives whilst maintaining the efficiency.

It reminds me of the ATT Windsor H, which is one of my favorite razors due to its minimal chatter and high efficiency.

I love the razor with sharper blades like Polsilver and BIC chrome platinum.
The BIC is sharper and ultra smooth in the Tile.

The Henson head is a game changer in razor design and that design combined with the weight of stainless steel has truly blown my mind!!
Do you have a picture of the Yaqi Tile or point me to where I can check it out? Thanks.

Do you have a picture of the Yaqi Tile or point me to where I can check it out? Thanks.
Never mind Nav1, I found it on AliExpress. It’s a Delorian SS duplicate or vice versa. It’s interesting to me that you think that the Yaqi Tile is mild with minimal blade feel. While I did not find the Delorian scary and it felt safe, I found it to be very efficient and with plenty of blade feel (YMMV, I guess). I don’t like to use words like mild or aggressive and I prefer the word efficient. To me, the Delorian was very efficient and almost to the level of a Blackbird.

Never mind Nav1, I found it on AliExpress. It’s a Delorian SS duplicate or vice versa. It’s interesting to me that you think that the Yaqi Tile is mild with minimal blade feel. While I did not find the Delorian scary and it felt safe, I found it to be very efficient and with plenty of blade feel (YMMV, I guess). I don’t like to use words like mild or aggressive and I prefer the word efficient. To me, the Delorian was very efficient and almost to the level of a Blackbird.

Yah, Yaqi call it Tile.
The Wetshaving Co give different names which confuses everything.

I've read QC issues with the Tile razor so I just wonder if our razors have different alignments/exposures.

Mine is even on both sides with bare minimum blade showing, just like with the Henson.

I hold the razor with an angle of 30° and find it super smooth and as efficient as karve D plate, which gets me to my daily BBS requirement with my usual 4 passes (W, X, A, A).

It is indeed efficient but it's so much smoother than the Telstar, which I didn't enjoy due to the intense blade feel...it felt "aggressive" whereas the Tile doesn't and yet the Tile is nearly as efficient.

Last edited:
Yah, Yaqi call it Tile.
The Wetshaving Co give different names which confuses everything.

I've read QC issues with the Tile razor so I just wonder if our razors have different alignments/exposures.

Mine is even on both sides with bare minimum blade showing, just like with the Henson.

I hold the razor with an angle of 30° and find it super smooth and as efficient as karve D plate, which gets me to my daily BBS requirement with my usual 4 passes (W, X, A, A).

It is indeed efficient but it's so much smoother than the Telstar, which I didn't enjoy due to the intense blade feel...it felt "aggressive" whereas the Tile doesn't and yet the Tile is nearly as efficient.
I have no QC issues with the Telstar or Delorian razor. Everything aligns perfectly on both razors and the fit and finish is more than adequate. While the Delorian is smoother and has less blade feel than the Telstar, it’s not night and day (for me, at least) like it is between the Delorian and the Henson (again, for me). The Henson has far less blade feel, far less efficient and far smoother than the Delorian. For me, the Delorian is not an every day shaver and the Telstar is even more so not an every day shaver.