Your blade supply - how long will you last?

alfonzo

So after my latest acquisition I thought the MensBiz box would be the perfect size to store all my packs of blades neatly (compared to a bunch of postage bags floating around under my sink).

Blades-1.jpg

My other half came in and saw me meticulously arranging my packs, and asked me how many blades I have - truth be known I never bothered to find out in the past, so we counted them out - I have 447 spare blades right now. I replace my blades every 3 shaves, and I shave 3 times a week. So at this rate of using 52 blades a year, we figured out that it will take me about 8.6 years to work my way through my stash on my own. :laugh:

So I thought I'd open it to the floor - I challenge you, go and count your blades firstly, and for bonus points, figure out how many days / weeks / months / years / decades (Razormonsta? :p ) you can go before having to buy again!

Well, lets see:

-I shave every day
-I use a blade (on average) for three shaves
-To date, I have (roughly) 800 blades

So, (800*3)/365 gives me around six and a half years worth of blades. It's probably a little higher than that, as I can usually get 4 shaves from a blade if I try, and some weekends I'll skip the Saturday shave.

Almost 65yrs old, think I have enough on hand to last until I wake up one morning and forget why I'm looking at myself in the mirror.
Probably have 5yrs left with the straight razors, 8yrs with the DE. And then there's alway the Fat Handled Gem Jr. For another few years.

my collection of blades are mild compared to you guys. 220 DE blades, 350 artist club blades, 20 SE blades

DE can last me 4 shaves
AC can last me 8 shaves
SE can last me 6 shaves (seem to get better mileage)

DE: 1.2 yrs
AC: 7.67 yrs
SE: 0.32 yrs
Total: 9.19yrs

if my calculations are correct

Yay - no longer the oldest on the board (and I think Razormonsta measure his supply in centuries and generations).

I can shave until I am 121 years of age if I shave with GBE's only from today, and the GBE's are only 1/3 of my blades. 4 shaves per blade with 4000 blades = 16,000 shaves, and shaving every second day = 32,000 days. Or 87.66 years.

The 645 Spoilers I have should last me 20 days per blade shaving every second day. That's 12900 days, or 35.3 years. That would make me 68-odd if I only shaved with them from now and that doesn't count the Schick Plus Platinums - there's another 100-odd of them.

And yes, I need more! I'd love to have more vintage blades, they are so much better.

I have only a paltry 120 or so blades, merely 2.5 years worth, and my wife thinks I am crazy.

I have about 6-8 years worth of soap on hand.

IMAG0851.jpg

I use a Ronson metal case that the wife used to use for her dog grooming gear.

I have 432 blades. (another 100 Voskhods not showing in that pic as I haven't put them in the case yet)

I use a blade for 3 shaves, I shave every day.

432 x 3 = 1296 shaves.

1296/365 = 3.55 years of blades.

I probably have enough creams and soaps to last me five years...PIF coming soon I think.

Not counting my SE blades because I hardly use them I have about 2 weeks worth left :sad2:, but I should be getting 140 blades next week

Only about 600 or so for me - the least of my ADs!

Lets stick with the very conservative assumptions (1 shave per day, 3 shaves per blade)....I guesstimate I've got around 5,500 blades. Mainly Gillette Platinum (Blue), several hundred Astra SP and Shark SS's, yada yada....

So thats 16,500 days worth.....so I'm good through 2057. :-D

I only have about 30 blades, including a few that I already don't like and will never use. Almost time to buy a big box of whatever is going to become my go-to blade, and then, to start the treasure hunt...

Thread revival (There are some interesting threads here that have died off and why start a new one when there may be some good info that may have been missed by newer members such as myself).

Anyhow. I've currently got a measly 100 blade stock (55 vintage blades and 45 modern blades). I can get (conservatively) 8 shaves out my Spoilers and Schicks and 3 shaves out of my various modern blades. I shave every second day. That works out to about 2 years and 9 months. Which compared to RM is the equivalent of about lunchtime tomorrow! :cheesy:

Let me see.......SEs about 2 years worth....DEs about 5 years worth. So, I'm getting about another 15 years worth of DE blades in. That's enough I'd say. It's all very depressing really. I'm sure I've probably got enough soap/cream to last me 5 or 6 years. There's really not much more I can buy. Depressing thread.

I am on the much lower end of the scale.

I think I bought 2 packs of Schicks from Mark which would equate to 1 years worth of shaving if 10 shaves is an average.
I have 95 odd Voskhods which equates to another (conservative) years worth.

Other than that I have about 50 blades that I will probably use and 2 packs of mystery blades from you lot

The following will probably never be used (unless someone says there is a blade there that I should really try) and will probably go for a blade swap or pif at some stage soon:
8 Derbys
13 Lord Platinum,
2 Shark Super
5 pack Shark Super Chrome
pack of ?? Wilkinson Swords
and a pack of Gillette super thin platinum.

I'm really not very good at this collecting lark am I?

Last edited: