Zamak.....ever heard of it? Well chances are your razor is made from it.

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
I just stumbled across this tidbit and thought I'd share it with all & sundry. I guess I just assumed that most modern nickel plated razors (Merkur, Muhle, EJ etc) were plated brass.....but apparently for the vast majority this is not the case.

They're actually made from Zamak, a Zinc alloy thats generally not given much respect by metallurgists due to it being used for generally very entry level and cheap cast metal products e.g matchbox cars.

Apparently its also known as pot metal (which comes from it not being used in pots but that due to the relative low melting points of all in the alloy it can often be made using a pot to hold the junk metal thats melted down).

Zamak tends to degenerate quite quickly if it's exposed to air/humidity so keep your eye out for any blemishes or plating loss on your razors as apparently they go rapidly down hill once the plating is lost.

Is an interesting thing as apparently until not too long ago(no definite time period was given but I'd guess ~10yrs) Merkurs sold really quite cheaply, sub-$10 each - but have had their prices go up significantly in recent times.

Perhaps if anything this reinforces the excellent value that vintage razors are - being brass they can have complete loss of their plating and still be usable for decades and decades afterwards with no performance loss.

:)

PS. Before I get a bunch of folks angrily posting 'My razor isn't Zamak etc' let me again state that its not all of these modern brands' models that are Zamak, some of them still are plated brass....like I know my 37c is plated brass. Others have the handle brass and the head Zamak and others are entirely Zamak. :)

Last edited:
That's an interesting post.

So how would we be able to tell if our "whisker assassin" is made of Zamak?

actual name Whisker Assassin is owned by Small Yet Deadly and any usage is copyright

actual name Whisker Assassin is owned by Small Yet Deadly and any usage is copyright

Isn't the W.A a Gillette Slim? If so it'd be plated brass.

For any other razor I can't imagine there's an easy way to know unless you want to go and remove some plating......honestly its not like its a problem, but I just found it a surprise as I assumed they'd be quite good quality and as such plated brass, but evidently its often not the case.

Fair enough - by Whisker Assassin I meant our razor of choice, not a particular razor.

I have some guitars with uncoated 'pot metal' made parts. Over 20 years old and show no sign of any corrosion or even any surface oxidisation. To be fair, I haven't tried immersing them in water everyday.

The easiest way to tell is to hold the razor next to your wireless and see iof it starts ranting and raving Oops that would an alloy of Zemanek.

NFI really. Maybe weight for size could be an indicator but I don't know the relative SG's of brass v zamak.

PS:Good footnote. Saved me from having to lawyer up!