August 2021 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW, just wow. Very grateful and a little embarrassed.

PbPS8FSl.jpg

For $40, I saved this little guy yesterday, plus a couple Gem blades, and a spare random 2 post cap off something else. Not mint of course, but not too bad for a near 90 year old razor.
My first two piece. Preliminary cleaned and sterilised, but gotta get some further cleaning between the teeth still (PITA that!). What tricks or hints for that @Mark1966 ?
The New, 1934 #88 set?
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1934 No88 England.JPG

3prsqQ6.jpg

50cNvs6.jpg

q2MQ5hI.jpg

3o0i4Di.jpg

3bx5oQs.jpg

Late night Aliexpress purchase Part 3

So, this razor randomly came up on my Insta feed and I was super curious to know how it shaved. Purchased from Havard Shaving, ordered 23 July, arrived 10 August, which btw, is pretty fast for Aliexpress. It looks a LOT like the Feather AS-D2. Of course, I have no idea how it compares, since I don't own a AS-D2, but I was bored and thought it'd be fun to take a punt on a $15 razor. The finish is actually pretty good for the price. The plating is clean and looks as good as any mid-priced zinc razor. Zamak head, not sure what the handle is made out of, but it's not stainless or brass. The whole razor is light - 56grams. Not sure the reason behind the brush. If it got clogged, I'd just take it apart to clean. It came with 10 no-name razor blades too. Not sure how it shaves like. Will have to give it a try.

o4ZXj2i.jpg

HJGhElX.jpg

a5lKAM1.jpg

InN4l8j.jpg

Q0rjo6m.jpg

Also picked up a cheapie tech type razor. Not sure which tech its trying to clone with those bullet cap posts. The base plate feels too thin to be cast zamak. Maybe stamped aluminium? It was like $7, so I thought I'd throw that in too. 10x blades and brush as well.

reBTR3z.jpg

TG3u4vN.jpg

So I did good?
Please pardon my ignorance, what is an "OC Version"?

They are excellent shavers and great balance of efficiency and smoothness. Good price imo. I've got the #44 and #77 versions of RFB and the two piece version is the standout. I assume the reference to OC is simply Open Comb.

So I did good?
Please pardon my ignorance, what is an "OC Version"?
Very good mate. What's your secret?
I've been scouring eBay and Gumtree even ETSY looking for reasonably priced Single Ring or RFB
Missed a nice cased Single Ring for $45 last week. If had known they are asking $180 and upward would have bid harder

Last edited:
My first two piece. Preliminary cleaned and sterilised, but gotta get some further cleaning between the teeth still (PITA that!). What tricks or hints for that @Mark1966 ?

Yup RFB. One of the best Gillette heads made 👍

And @TroyTools I use a cotton bud if using polish or a toothpick to pick out gunk between the teeth.

Yup - what he said! Great score mate, very nice and a nice shaver

Very good mate. What's your secret?
I've been scouring eBay and Gumtree even ETSY looking for reasonably priced Single Ring or RFB
Missed a nice cased Single Ring for $45 last week. If had known they are asking $180 and upward would have bid harder

That the leather case one? Considering the condition price pretty spot on. Been more than a few in good condition over last year going for $40-60. Only paid $44 for my 1917 standard set and it's MINT. And my #44 set RFB was $25 recently and again near mint. Bargains to be had..

That the leather case one? Considering the condition price pretty spot on. Been more than a few in good condition over last year going for $40-60. Only paid $44 for my 1917 standard set and it's MINT. And my #44 set RFB was $25 recently and again near mint. Bargains to be had..
Cheers @Chad if you and @TroyTools see any decent bargains you are not buying don't be shy to share links with the rest of us

Cheers @Chad if you and @TroyTools see any decent bargains you are not buying don't be shy to share links with the rest of us

I'm no different to anyone else mate, passing on the obvious overpriced ones. But yeah, sharing links is cool :cool:
A shame to see sellers not taking the hint that the market doesn't support the outrageous price they have on a razor. I'm sure everyone here has seen those ones.
Do they not understand that sitting an overpriced razor for months without purchase doesn't set the new minimum benchmark pricing for all others?:unsure:
Rick from "Pawnstars" said it right. "There is a big difference between an asking price, and a getting price". Even a newb like me can see when the value isn't there.:X3:

I'm no different to anyone else mate, passing on the obvious overpriced ones. But yeah, sharing links is cool :cool:
A shame to see sellers not taking the hint that the market doesn't support the outrageous price they have on a razor. I'm sure everyone here has seen those ones.
Do they not understand that sitting an overpriced razor for months without purchase doesn't set the new minimum benchmark pricing for all others?:unsure:
Rick from "Pawnstars" said it right. "There is a big difference between an asking price, and a getting price". Even a newb like me can see when the value isn't there.:X3:

Anything with the word 'Rare' in the title. If it really IS rare people already know. Rare means non collector with astronomical over valuation based on age etc

Status
Not open for further replies.