Blade Review: Perma-Sharp Super (Russian made, cardboard box - 5 blades)

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Ok, next cab off the rank is the P&G owned Turkish blades that come by way of the blade Mecca of St Petersburg (also famous for mail order brides and having a lot of stunning women for those interested!).

Now these come with the RM stamp of 'Best current production DE blade' which is a helluva tag to carry into things, so high expectations here indeed.

perma-sharp-super-double-edge-blades__48890_zoom.jpg

First thing to state is be wary NOT to confuse these (russian made, cardboard box of 5) with the other Perma-Sharps which come in the plastic dispenser of 10 blades and are made in Turkey. The latter being regarded as significantly inferior.

Sharpness of Blade/Closeness of shave: 8.5/10, very sharp - I'd have to say this was in the same ballpark for sharpness as the 7OC Yellows. Very effortless cutting. Impressive indeed.

Smoothness of Shave/Comfort of Shave: 8.5/10, this could almost have gone to a 9 - really very nice blade to use (did shave with Slim @5/3). Second use was just as good as the first. Very enjoyable blade to use.

Post-shave irritation/cuts: NOTHING.....in marked contrast to the SOC Yellow's which while giving a great shave left me feeling a little prickled these were faultless. Used Camelot for the first shave and MNS Pine/Cedar for the 2nd. Sensational shaves each time. Allowed me to go again the grain really comfortably.

Overall score for blade 8.5+/10, this is edging very close to a 9. Interestingly these have a real reputation for great longevity as well - which should also be a key factor in rating any blades....so I'm optimistic of getting 4-5 good shaves from these...which would be quite astoundingly good for current production blades.

Comments: Definitely an elite level blade that can match it with anything else in production at present. Of all the blades I've tried so far I'd have to say this one just edges the Pol Brown as the best so far. Sensational blade and highly recommend you get some while you still can, as they can't keep selling them if they're this good!

Comments: Definitely an elite level blade that can match it with anything else in production at present. Of all the blades I've tried so far I'd have to say this one just edges the Pol Brown as the best so far. Sensational blade and highly recommend you get some while you still can, as they can't keep selling them if they're this good!

Sharper than the Polsilver Stainless yet not as smooth. If the Derby/Red is the Sharper Smoother combo at the 'entry' level, then the Permasharps/Polsilvers are the same at a higher quality.

Pretty sure Drubs would like the Pollys too.

Bahahahaha ... Epic fail.

Any sources to get more than 5?

100 Perma-sharp Double Edge Razor Blades - $20.00

Grab 3, so $60 for 300 blades, any order over $50 is free postage.

The trick with BestShave is to check the 'Original Boxed Blades' category for any sort of quantity. You also can find some interesting stuff under the 'Free Shipping Items' category like 12 sticks of Arko shipped for $24. I can almost smell the urinal cakes just thinking about it.

Make sure you go through all the categories carefully. Found 100% Herbal Shaving Soap (Eucalyptus) and 100% Herbal Shaving Soap (Rosemary) which looks interesting.

I've also found the mentholated Kapo shaving cream tube, FÛME Lavender Shaving Soap, and the new 'Tweex' Shave Sticks which I am surprised that nobody have given a go yet.

There's lots more, especially if you want a lemon cologne for after an Arko-based shave. It's all just a couple of bucks, each item, you can put an extra $20 in your order and get some interesting stuff to try.

Make sure you go through all the categories carefully. Found 100% Herbal Shaving Soap (Eucalyptus) and 100% Herbal Shaving Soap (Rosemary) which looks interesting.
Hmmm I do think he's getting a tad optimistic trying to get $USD8 for these. For example the soaps I've ordered from Mike's Natural Soaps are approx the same price and yet ~50% more weight. No info on maker, ingredients etc. I've no idea what 100% herbal would even mean. I'll take a lucky dip on a $2 soap but even if these lathered well you've no way of knowing whats in them. Tad risky IMHO.

I've also found the mentholated Kapo shaving cream tube, FÛME Lavender Shaving Soap, and the new 'Tweex' Shave Sticks which I am surprised that nobody have given a go yet.
I've heard the Tweex is very similar to Arko. Really not a lot between them, good soap but think Arko and you have an idea of what to expect. I would warn people that the FUME soaps apparently have the often disliked chemical SLS in them. It doesn't pop up too often in good shaving soaps but is often in all kinds of other products. A lot of people get skin problems from it, so be aware. But the soap itself is meant to be quite good, not a lavender fan myself - tad overpowering IMHO.

Thanks Nick! I have a tweed stick at home that I haven't busted out yet?

I will probably make an order soon, might grab 5 to try before committing to 100.

But if its good as you say, might just have to make a sizeable order!

Thanks Nick! I have a tweed stick at home that I haven't busted out yet?

I will probably make an order soon, might grab 5 to try before committing to 100.

But if its good as you say, might just have to make a sizeable order!

Mate, I would throw a box in an envelope before letting you get the same amount all the way from Turkey. But seriously, they are good blades and if were unlucky enough for a Drubbing Event[SUP]TM[/SUP] to occur then there would be plenty of guys willing to trade or buy, myself included.

Mate, I would throw a box in an envelope before letting you get the same amount all the way from Turkey. But seriously, they are good blades and if were unlucky enough for a Drubbing Event[SUP]TM[/SUP] to occur then there would be plenty of guys willing to trade or buy, myself included.

Fair call, I will probably strike on it soon.

Will let you all know.

Cheers

Sharper than the Polsilver Stainless yet not as smooth. If the Derby/Red is the Sharper Smoother combo at the 'entry' level, then the Permasharps/Polsilvers are the same at a higher quality.

Pretty sure Drubs would like the Pollys too.

Those Pollies must be Smooooooth then RM!

They are, but I prefer sharpness. Hence I would go for the PermaSharps any day.

Just tried a PSS. Very nice blade. Packaging is a bit boring but otherwise nothing against this one at all.

NECRO!

Found one of these in my blade bin. Very good so far in my black Merkur 30C. Anyone with nay to swap or sell? I've only boring Astras and Reds. If not, I'' buy some from Bestshave.

I must have well over 500 in stock Drubs. When I said they were the best blade in production, I meant it.

Seriously, buying 300 from Bestshave for $60 flat rate is not a bad thing. They arrive in about 2 weeks or so.

Just a shame the AUD dropped well under parity, but it has come back up in the last week or so.

I can't think of anyone who has struck out with BS. They love circulating those crappy brushes around the world.

That's a few more than I would want to let go of Drubbs from my little stash for what they are worth in $$ terms. I reckon just pick 'em up from BS.

Happy to spot you a pack or two.