Blade Review: Perma-Sharp Super (Russian made, cardboard box - 5 blades)

I can't think of anyone who has struck out with BS. They love circulating those crappy brushes around the world.

That's a few more than I would want to let go of Drubbs from my little stash for what they are worth in $$ terms. I reckon just pick 'em up from BS.

Happy to spot you a pack or two.

Happy to take/swap/pay for a pack or two, to make sure I still rate them.

Unless you have Slick Shicks I wouldn't worry about trade bait Drubs.

Pay for them? Piss right off you bugger :p

How do you want to lay your hands on them?

If you buy from BS, just make sure you get the cardboard ones and not the plastic dispensers. They're a good vendor, they take a while to ship sometimes though but it usually arrives pretty quick after dispatch.

PSS is a great blade. Pretty similar to the Super Iridiums IMO, nice and sharp. Half the price of the SI's too.

If you buy from BS, just make sure you get the cardboard ones and not the plastic dispensers. They're a good vendor, they take a while to ship sometimes though but it usually arrives pretty quick after dispatch.

PSS is a great blade. Pretty similar to the Super Iridiums IMO, nice and sharp. Half the price of the SI's too.

Funny stuff this is what I wrote at YKW just earlier this week

PSS is my favourite modern blade and I'm quite sorry I never bothered with the black o'clock due to not liking yellow or green. Super iridium...Is it possible this is permasharp under a different brand? Very similar for me, great blade.

I don't think they are the same blade. Shaves markedly different in my experience, SI smoother and markedly more comfortable but dows not shave anywhere near as close.

PSS is sharper, PSS also last 4-5 shaves where the SI's are a 3-4 shave blade.

They are quite a bit alike to me, but I agree with RM that they're unlikely to be the same blade. I think they do come out of the same factory though.

I'm surprised that you get so few shaves from the SI's RM, I've found them to be a 6-8 shave blade in the past. They're so smooth that they just keep on truckin'.

Does anyone have any suggestions for blades that perform similarly to these two? I like Feathers and Personna Lab's too, didn't like the Gillette yellow's due to roughness (and they didn't seem that sharp).

The oracle has spoken! :p

What razor(s) are you using RM?

Are we both talking the St Pete's SI with the W? I took that out of the slim this morning for PSS. I think I was on 7 and could have had another easily enough.

The sharpness drops off but neither of these two seem to turn real snakey as they decline.

I am probably not as discerning either.

I think my blade preferences fall into 4 broad categories
1) A good 'un eg PSS
2) Cheap enough eg Derby
3) I can see the appeal but not for me eg 7 O'clock Yellow
4) Paint scraper eg Shark

I'm surprised that you get so few shaves from the SI's RM, I've found them to be a 6-8 shave blade in the past. They're so smooth that they just keep on truckin'.
I find they do not shave close enough for my liking - noticeable stubble early afternoon, where the PSS and NOS GBE I don't notice anything to well after i am home for the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for blades that perform similarly to these two? I like Feathers and Personna Lab's too, didn't like the Gillette yellow's due to roughness (and they didn't seem that sharp).
NOS GBE :laugh:

The oracle has spoken! :p

What razor(s) are you using RM?

Generally Fatboy/Slim at large settings.

Are we both talking the St Pete's SI with the W? I took that out of the slim this morning for PSS. I think I was on 7 and could have had another easily enough.

The sharpness drops off but neither of these two seem to turn real snakey as they decline.
Yes, mine are one of the pre-discontinued packs from PPI, sourced from shaving.ie so I know they are legit.

As for the shave, it's more that they just don't take any hair off my face after 4 shaves. Indeed they are still smooth, so I would agree on your 'not snakey' experience.

I am probably not as discerning either.

Could well be. After shaving with quality vintage blades like Spoilers & Personna Super Stainless for a while, you tend to get a bit blasé about modern blades. That said, the PSS really do stand up to scrutiny and could have held their own against GBE's or the old brown Polsilvers, and similar vintage. In fact if I had to think about the blade that reminds me most of the PSS, it's probably the brown Polsilvers.

I think my blade preferences fall into 4 broad categories
I love these categories. When I look at my "Good 'Un" list though, I still think the PSS is the best bang for back blade that is available. The GSB's would be a similar level too. Between those two I think that is where it's at for current production blades.

I am actively buying both of those blades, plus the odd order of Polsilver Browns when I can get them.

Thanks for your thoughts RM. I'm going to check the polsilver PiF thread to see what I got because I think there was a brown polsilver in there but the SI edged it for me. Of course I can't recall why I thought this.

I forgot to mention I am also the opposite of 99% of the posters at YKW. I have peach fuzz and skin like a doc marten :laugh:

I find they do not shave close enough for my liking - noticeable stubble early afternoon, where the PSS and NOS GBE I don't notice anything to well after i am home for the day.

Noticeable stubble? Is this visually or a hand test WTG or ATG?

Just tying to get some context :)

NOS GBE :laugh:

That'd be right! Unlike the other vintage blades, I've never even seen these up for sale anywhere. Are they gone forever?

I am actively buying both of those blades, plus the odd order of Polsilver Browns when I can get them.

The Polsilver browns seemed to disappear quite quickly after being pretty available for a few months too. I like them less than their blue brethren, but they were quite a bit cheaper from memory and shave very well.

I'm going to check the polsilver PiF thread to see what I got because I think there was a brown polsilver in there but the SI edged it for me. Of course I can't recall why I thought this.

For me, the brown loses it's sharpness just a little bit quicker than the SI or the Polsilver SI and is just a little bit rougher to begin with. It's like a 95% SI.

Noticeable stubble? Is this visually or a hand test WTG or ATG?

Just tying to get some context :)
Hand test ATG.

That'd be right! Unlike the other vintage blades, I've never even seen these up for sale anywhere. Are they gone forever?
I have lots bahahahahahahah!

The Polsilver browns seemed to disappear quite quickly after being pretty available for a few months too. I like them less than their blue brethren, but they were quite a bit cheaper from memory and shave very well.

Shaving.ie still have them. The Blues are available from BestShave.

Clammy of hand, dry of mouth I awaited the arrival of the Bestower of Names, the International Mod of Mystery :worried:

Good to meet you Drubs. Those PSS should see you right until best-shave comes through :)

We should definitely catch up to release some golf balls back into their native environment sometime :cool: