Blade Review: Perma-Sharp Super (Russian made, cardboard box - 5 blades)

@Mong. & @borked happy to syndicate our buy - and anyone else who's keen for that matter. Happy to wait as @Pjotr is passing on a few more PSS to keep me afloat. I'm probably in for 300 PSS and if we do bestshave.net (which I'd advice (USD20/100) as Connaughts is almost double the price (GBP18/100) and around the same as buying onshore (AUD39/100)!….unless we can get a bulk buy discount) then the opportunity to bulk buy arko is also on the table. I'm getting one to see what the bloody fuss is about.

Last edited:
FYI: just emailed the ShaverHut, who stock both the PSS and arko, for the bulk buy prices on both. I'll pass on the response once it hits my inbox. Happy for someone else to do the same with Connaughts - as I haven't dealt with them before but have dealt a fair bit recently with Chris and the guys at the ShaverHut.

Chris from the ShaverHut just got back to me. He's keen to know numbers so he can work out a price. Pretty promising, since I quoted him the bestshave.net prices and he didn't dismiss it out-right so we might get some traction here.

Can guys let me know how many Permasharp Supers and arko you'll be in for (if they were around bestshave prices of USD20 and USD2), and I'll pursue this further?

I think @Mong. and @borked were interested so far.

For me I'll be in for 300 PSS and a urinal puck.

P.S. Not sure if we're reaching enough folks, so I'll cross-post from Heads-Up thread….if that's legit?

Holy thread revival Batman!! As a bit of background info, I've been using the Polsilver Super Iridiums for the last 6 weeks. I only shave Monday, Wednesday and Friday and can get 2 weeks (6 shaves) out of them. Damn good shaves at that.. ***

I found a few PSS blades in my stash and thought I would give one a run considering @Monsta_AU raves about them. I've had 2 shaves so far. My impression? Russian made feathers... They are sharp bastards, but leave my face feeling a bit "feather" sore.. YYMV of course but to me I can get a BBS with either the PSI or the PSS and the PSI's leave my face feeling a bit better. Twice the price better? Well that is debatable but @ 20c per blade or 40c per blade, compared to carts, who really cares! :)

*** Edit.. As a reference point, I should note that I can get 3 weeks/9 shaves out of a quality vintage blade like my slowly diminishing stock of Gillette Super Stainless/ AKA Spoilers.

Last edited:
Not enough angle - you are scraping the blade across the face. You want to have the handle 'more perpendicular' to planet face.

Don't know what you put them into, but if a Fatboy or Slim then dial it down to a 5 max. Things will definitely improve.

Not enough angle - you are scraping the blade across the face. You want to have the handle 'more perpendicular' to planet face.

Don't know what you put them into, but if a Fatboy or Slim then dial it down to a 5 max. Things will definitely improve.

Shave 1 was in a DE89 which is pretty easy going with its angles but shave 2 was in a Parker 26c which is much less so as if you get the angle wrong you see the lines on your face from the open comb. I'll move it to my Slim for the next shave and see how it goes.

I've been DE shaving for 3 years now and would like to think that I've got the blade angle thing sorted out.. However if this blade needs a special angle that no other blade needs??

Last edited:
It really depends on the thickness of your whiskers, the prep and the number of passes. Since I've gone to cold water shaves, the blades deteriorate even quicker for example and if you shave daily, you need less passes...

But who cares if you have better shaves and have to change your blades more often :)

I've been DE shaving for 3 years now and would like to think that I've got the blade angle thing sorted out.. However if this blade needs a special angle that no other blade needs??
Different manufacturers have different hone angles. Swapping from PPI-made blades back to say Vintage Wilkies needs an adjustment of angle.

Sometimes the rawness means your angle is a bit out. Yes it works but you are scraping rather than slicing. All it means is if you are shaving with other PPI blades then they let you get away with a less precise angle, yet the PSS do not.

It's worth experimenting - I have been doing this for about 6 years now and I still try the odd different angle - especially if something isn't working for me.

Much better shave today with the Slim and paying close attention to angles. Some mild irritation under the nose where it is hard to angle the razor steeply. Two things I noticed.. 1. The blade is still as sharp as it was for the first shave and 2. I'd forgotten what a good tool the Slim is after using modern razors with much larger handles, felt like a bit of a toy at first :)

Bingo. There you go. Sometimes even I need the odd reminder on angle, so next time I mention that I had a crappy shave then you have a free shot.

The PSS is a great blade and is top value for money in comparison with the GSB's and GDP's. I get 4 really good shaves then throw them away - I struggle to get any modern blade past 4.