November 2013 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice axe, Drubs. It looks awesome, how does she sound? Big body and mahogany, bassy with good sustain?

Nice axe, Drubs. It looks awesome, how does she sound? Big body and mahogany, bassy with good sustain?

I'm really happy with it. It's basically a Martin design, as Martin used to own the brand, and literally 'knocked off' their own range, and had them made in Asia to compete with all the illegal fakes of their guitars. As much as I'd love a Martin or Taylor, I don't have that kind of coin, and to my neophyte fingers and ears, this plays and sounds as good.

Being new to Acoustic, it takes a while to get to grips with - the strings are bigger gauge and neck different to my Strat, the action is a lot higher too. I've just sent it back for my free set up, to lower the action a bit, as the upper frets are hard work with barres. I did like the Sigma Spruce dread too, but the bigger size was less comfortable.

The Mahogany does favour the bass and midrange and it projects really well - it's loud, and I didn't get to play last night, but it's still ringing. Nigel Tufnel's goldtop can get farked.

Small body mahogany's are supposed to be good for blues based stuff and picking, and less so for strumming. I guess because the highs aren't as pronounced as Spruce and Cedar. But that doesn't really bother me, it's all about nice sound and playability. It's really helping me with my technique and strength. When I pick up my Strat, which has 11s on it, it feels two gauges lighter and so much easier to play in comparison.

...........Small body mahogany's are supposed to be good for blues based stuff and picking, and less so for strumming. I guess because the highs aren't as pronounced as Spruce and Cedar..........

Have never played one with a solid mahogany sound board but would have thought that woud be the other way round. More highs and mids but a louder sound.

Have never played one with a solid mahogany sound board but would have thought that woud be the other way round. More highs and mids but a louder sound.

Hard to say, but having played the Spruce yesterday, it does seem brighter, maybe clearer through the range. Same with loudness, playing both they seem around the same, but you can't tell how each projects, unless you get osmeone else to play em both for you. Again, it's really more about the overall sound and playability. If the Spruce was a concert or 000 size, I'd have been happy with that too.

The simmo's Classic arrived, but i'll give it a run before offering opinions. Not that much written about these. I will say this; it's small. Knotwise it's about the same loft as the Berk (if you get one at factory spec, and mine isn't), but stuffed, at 22/44mm. The handle is a good 5mm shorter too.

I did read up as much as poss on this before choosing, but there's not that much out there. Some places decided to call it a Chubby 0. Nah, this is no Chub, more like a Berk 2.0. The Chubby is a very different beast, and a beast it is. A fat handle and a sponge like knot.

Simpson Berkley 46 in best badger decided to drop in and make itself better acquainted with me.

Courtesy of Mark, a few packets of good ol' fair dinkum Aussie Gillettes and 20 GEM SE blades. Interested to find out what the Gillettes are like.

Status
Not open for further replies.