October 2011 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some aftershave from gifts and care

some La toja(100ml) and 2 floid special edition(400ml)

Also the daddy of all bottles of myrsol Special K (1000ml)

3d8e4607.jpg

100 PermaSharps (cardboard packed ones) - my first bulk blade purchase, and I haven't even tried one yet!

Next pay (mid-month) will see 100x 7OC Blacks, 100x Dorco 301s and 100x Feathers.

Parents were over last weekend and Mum's in the bathroom and calls out, "How many shaving brushes do you NEED?!"
I've only got three; Semogue 1305, Frank Shaving Finest (Kenilworth) and Frank Shaving Silvertip (Richmond).
I've only used the Silvertip twice - too soft for me, I love the FS Finest.

100 PermaSharps (cardboard packed ones) - my first bulk blade purchase, and I haven't even tried one yet!
You will like them Spyne. I reckon they are as close to Iridiums as you will find anywhere, perhaps even a little smoother. I broke out an Iridium this morning to check - yep they are so close to the same it isn't funny. I think it's an excellent first bulk buy.

I was considering getting 500 Iridiums since there appears to be some supply again, but the price is insane compared to the PSS. The Polsilvers at RB&M are even more expensive. Crazy.

I wouldn't bother with the ST-301's if you are getting the PSS and 7OC Blacks. They may disappoint after shaving with the Permasharp goodness. If you really want some, I have a number of packs there that I would be happy to fling your way.... might be 40-50 blades? I more than likely will not use them.

Just putting my hand up, if anyone wants to part with 20-30 PermaSharps I would be happy to do a swap or cash?

In the spirit of the Shave Stick PIF, anyone here that wants a pack of PSS can have one. If I can get 8 shaves out of one, then a whole pack should be enough to have a few test shaves, order some from Turkey and get them here before you run out of blades.

nevermind, should actually read previous posts before thinking PSS = Palmolive Shave Stick (slaps forehead)

Monsta > I've used the 301s from that super-sampler you sent me and really loved them. Consistency wasn't perfect (two blades were a little rough on their first shave, but were great on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th). They are a super-easy blade to use, like a Personna Israeli Red, but sharper. Looking forward to trying the PermaSharps though, alot of 'good press' around for these blades.

Last edited:
In the spirit of the Shave Stick PIF, anyone here that wants a pack of PSS can have one. If I can get 8 shaves out of one, then a whole pack should be enough to have a few test shaves, order some from Turkey and get them here before you run out of blades.

I think I said yes please before. Anyways. Yes please.

I think I said yes please before. Anyways. Yes please.

As always I will gratefully receive. Just as a side note to this, had my third shave with the Gillette Blue and am ready to change it out. Getting rough and scratchy. Really thought it would go further.
(Could be the oldfella beard I guess) :)

As always I will gratefully receive. Just as a side note to this, had my third shave with the Gillette Blue and am ready to change it out. Getting rough and scratchy. Really thought it would go further.
(Could be the oldfella beard I guess) :)

Anything beyond three with a DE blade is a bonus. About time you started with the original safety razor. Two passes with a fresh SE blade is the equivalent of a three pass DE shave. Even with your body builder, tungsten whiskers.

Anything beyond three with a DE blade is a bonus. About time you started with the original safety razor. Two passes with a fresh SE blade is the equivalent of a three pass DE shave. Even with your body builder, tungsten whiskers.

I get the hint - since my Gillette has crapped out on me, I will go SE tomorrow and see how long that lasts, using the razor and blades I got from you so I have to presume the quality will be nothing other than first class.

Lates stuff

I know I probably already have most of these, but my last purchase for a while so I thought I would make it a bulk one

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

To all of those who have been kind enough to send me goodies, when I get all this stuff from the US I will clean it up and offer it out to you kiind people with first pick and the rest of the group next. This will include some interesting blades I am getting.

Glen (I know how to share) Thomas

I know I probably already have most of these, but my last purchase for a while so I thought I would make it a bulk one

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

To all of those who have been kind enough to send me goodies, when I get all this stuff from the US I will clean it up and offer it out to you kiind people with first pick and the rest of the group next. This will include some interesting blades I am getting.

Glen (I know how to share) Thomas

Wow, you've got a TTO collection to rival Mark there. And a Slim adjustable too. The SE is an Open Comb micromatic. One of the more aggressive SEs and GEMs version of a TTO. They all look in pretty good nick too. Don't know what the Open Comb three piece is but I've seen them around so the more Gillette knowledeable shavers here will no doubt know. Who knows what's in the blade stash. Unfortunately they look like they've all been unwrapped so I'd say it's bin time for most of them.

Last edited:
Wow, you've got a TTO collection to rival Mark there. And a Slim adjustable too. The SE is an Open Comb micromatic. One of the more aggressive SEs and GEMs version of a TTO. They all look in pretty good nick too. Don't know what the Open Comb three piece is but I've seen them around so the more Gillette knowledeable shavers here will no doubt know. Who knows what's in the blade stash. Unfortunately they look like they've all been unwrapped so I'd say it's bin time for most of them.

I didnt figure the unwrapped blades would be much chop - and as for rivalling Mark never in many mnay years and many many thousands of dollars. Like I said I will get them here eventually - clean them up and see whats what. Then see who wants what.

Glen (I really have no idea what I am doing) Thomas

@ Glen (eBay Legend) Thomas

Well remember how I said I was going to send you something but haven't yet? I will get around to it but my initial thoughts were to shoot you a Blue Tip (you now have) or a Slim (you now have!) so I'm back to square one.

BTW you have purchased (clockwise fromo top right):

GEM as Pjotr has identified;
1940s style SuperSpeed (great shaver!)
Shick Krona - well loved too!
Ball End Old Type - could be quite aggressive
Flare Tipped SuperSpeed
Slim Adjustable
Blue Tip (Mild) SuperSpeed

Enjoy!

Great buy GT, you've bought in one lot some really great razors.
Slim adjustable is really good, 40s superspeed is good, 50s flare tip superspeed is good, Krona is good.

You just need a NEW or New improved DE, and some proper SEs (I wouldn't be using that open comb micromatic)

Yeah, I don't get on with the open comb micromatic either. Lots do though. And don't forget old tungsten chops here. Apparently he's got whiskers that'll scare any razor/blade combo.

My stubble scares blades.
Remember I was saying I only get 3-4 shaves out of an SE GEM SS blade? That mainly applies with using the 1900 or 1912 models. (I don't like the 1914, 1924 or later models at all)

I could probably get 3-4 shaves on an SE GEM 1912 or something, maximum.
But I could take that used blade out, put it in a micromatic clog-pruf (the non open combed version of that razor GT) and get another 2 shaves out of it. Love the micromatic with a closed safety bar.

Even though I can use a micromatic clog-pruf half asleep and be rough as guts with a careless shave without a single cut, the open comb version cuts me up bad even carefully trying to shave with it.
And it took me weeks to use the clog-pruf without cutting myself when first using it! But once you 'get it' with that one, then you get good shaves. But even after shaving SE for years, I could never get the open comb to work.
It is the most aggressive one though, so maybe worth looking at trying it later if someone wants an even closer shave.
So would never recommend anyone starting out in SE with a MM open comb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.