October 2011 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
First SE Shave

Don't worry, Glen's got a Featherweight to kick off with. The Clog Pruf is one of my favourites too.

And try it I did. Approached with a fair amount of caution as I had a mental picture of more blade being exposed. Much to my delight all went well no nicks no scratches and most importantly no whiskers. very smooth I must admit. Will just have to see how long a blade lasts and then look for a source of supply.
Thanks for the heads up Pjotr.

Nice one. It's loud isn't it! The cheapest source of blades I've yet discovered is Connaughts (http://connaughtshaving.com/index.html). No rush, I can keep sending you blades until you're ready to buy in bulk. If you only use an SE, with your current supply you should get a few months worth of shaves.

More samplers for me.

Nathan @ Mensbiz chucked me a freebie of Harris Arlington soap, some swaps with Jug netted me some of the cream. So ordered a sampler of the cologne from Connaught. I like this stuff, it works well, smells fresh and citrusy and is the only pricey gear I've really liked.

Also the DR Sandalwood AS - still on the hunt for that ONE sandalwood. While an AS, Harris is supposed to be quite strong and many use it as a AS/Cologne, much like Musgo Real is.

Also thought I'd try some other TOBS smellys - Shave Shop, Vic Limes and St James.

The Arlington soap is hard as though, and having almost given up on a couple of other hard soaps before, only to find as they softened up then work a lot better, simply because you get more soap into the brush (T&H Luxury and Cade), I'm going to keep at it. Arlington as is works pretty well, but I'm expecting a bit more from a tallow.

The Bulgarian stash has arrived

Not really an October thread but my excitment is high. My blade pack fromBulgaria has arrived and I pick it up tomorrow. Now if only by son could get the razors on the way the world would be a happier place. Will try to upload photos of the Bulgarian stash.

A personna adjustable complete with case and instructions.

285bc950.jpg

a747c7e4.jpg

The razor has some plate loss on the head but works perfect and the case is undamaged

DR Harris Arlington Cologne. I'm not sure on the longevity even with a number of tries from this generous sampler, but the TOBS Sandalwood I bought didn't really 'stick' till I put it in a spray bottle, so I may try that.

Even so, the scent is unreal. Love the soap, love the cream, will probably get the deo stick to help keep the scent hanging around. I'll even spring for the Beechwood bowl eventually; they're terrible value I know, but Arlington has hit me hard. Either I'm getting sadder or I've found something that has my name on it.

Two Omega boars. They're cheap and I want to revist one I had many years ago, that I trashed with canned goo.

Latest addition to my SE family

Vintage GEM MICROMATIC Razor Single Edge Comb Style Pat.1739280-1773614 USA

about 15.00 including postage.

(Not really a family - noow I have 2, but all the other goodies are on the way from the USA.

Should have some fun soon.

Glen

........I'm getting sadder .........

I think so. By the way all those creams, soaps, colognes, aftershaves and only one razor? That's just strange. Show the same determination with razors and you'll have Mark weeping in the wings.

Vintage GEM MICROMATIC Razor Single Edge Comb Style Pat.1739280-1773614 USA

about 15.00 including postage.

(Not really a family - noow I have 2, but all the other goodies are on the way from the USA.

Should have some fun soon.

Glen

Which Micromatic is that? There's no link in the post.

Bad news for the wallet coming onsite a little more...

Rocket HD from Mark.
A vintage shaving kit off the bay. Contains a TTO Gillette of some sort judging by the pictures.
Couple of tubes of Godrej that I have been putting off buying.

SEs are cheap. The first is a 1912 and the second a Micromatic open comb (MMOC to regular SE dudes). You could well find that the 1912 will clean up nicely. Aside from wear and unless somebody has dipped it in hydrochloric acid it'll be gold rather than brass. GEM and Ever Ready SEs have excellent plating on the whole. If you want to find out what the king of SEs goes for check this e-bay listing (300610051141). Looks like a barely used Ever Ready Streamline complete with stropping kit. I suspect it'll go for something like $50-70.

SEs are cheap. The first is a 1912 and the second a Micromatic open comb (MMOC to regular SE dudes). You could well find that the 1912 will clean up nicely. Aside from wear and unless somebody has dipped it in hydrochloric acid it'll be gold rather than brass. GEM and Ever Ready SEs have excellent plating on the whole. If you want to find out what the king of SEs goes for check this e-bay listing (300610051141). Looks like a barely used Ever Ready Streamline complete with stropping kit. I suspect it'll go for something like $50-70.

Thanks for the info - I guess one day I will be knowlegable enough to use phrases like 1912 and MMOC and actually know what I am talking about - in the meantime I will seek out what appear to be bargains (even if they turn out to be paperweights) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.