October 2016 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work mate. I'd love to hear more as your progress through this project. [emoji106]

I was planning/will start a thread in aftershaves, I have been reading up over the past 7 or 8 months on making EDC and so forth so I thought the time was right, mainly as I could not find a splash that I wanted for a particular soap.

Funny stuff that Sandalwood EO. The stuff grows wild in western Qld, I can't understand why it is so expensive. I can only guess extracting it is difficult or a lengthy process.
Australian Sandalwood smells differently from Indian Sandalwood. In India they've got some restrictions on producing Sandalwood. Also to produce EO you have to completely cut the tree. All that adds small bits to the total price.

I was planning/will start a thread in aftershaves, I have been reading up over the past 7 or 8 months on making EDC and so forth so I thought the time was right, mainly as I could not find a splash that I wanted for a particular soap.
I'd like to read that as well. :) I was thinking about making my own splashes and even started trying but then something dragged me off this stuff.

bgvo9NP.jpg

Mail call from TSW! Thank you for the Sample!

Got a few items in the mail today that I was really looking forward to.

First up a Mystic Waters Bay Rum from @Nightguard alleged to be only 80% full but appears to be more left in there than that to me. Thank you @Nightguard :) (this was in the mail box for a few days but I haven;t been to the office and thus unable to collect it).

i7DriBN.jpg

Next up the Razorock Wunderbar Slant

zFyhuqN.jpg

and last (but by no means least) a wonderful custom Rudy Vey brush with Shavemac 23mm 2 band fan knot. I was initially worried that this might be a bit small but as you will see in teh pictures below the knot blooms nicely and is just as big as my Thater 24mm bulb knots.

GI6Y44M.jpg

post test lather:

MZllJyZ.jpg

and post light towel drying:

uvzoqzJ.jpg

I can only imagine how nicely this knot is going to bloom after a few uses.

First impressions in comparison to the Shavemac D01 2 Band are that the knot is considerably less dense but because of this the flow through and lather release appears to be slightly better. Wonderful soft tips and excellent backbone. Whilst I do not feel that it will replace my D01 it will certainly accompany it nicely :)

a6KzyX4.jpg

Fairly large and very expensive box from Heirloom Australia containing a litre of Perfumers alcohol, glycerine, witch hazel, disbursal agents, pipettes, bottles, etc,etc and a dozen bloody expensive essential oils including a real Sandalwood (25ml $118) and a Vetiver for my "Private Reserve: PC" and "Private Reserve: GL" splash project. I also have some ambergris on the way which was stupidly expensive. Anyway I have two different scent combinations I plan on making. One a vetiver based on a famous Creed Vetiver from the early 1900's that was discontinued and an interpretation of a White Tea, Ginger, Geranium splash that will have some (hopefully) very interesting accords.

It's been a project a long time in the making, I thought stuff it take the plunge, spend the large outlay and see what happens. No plans to sell anything, but I do plan to share if everything goes to plan.
I bought some ambergris a few years ago at a market in Cairns - the real stuff!! Such an incredibly powerful scent - a little goes a long way!! Best not to think of it as whale sputum!!
Sounds like some interesting times ahead @todras !! The Aussie "Barrister and Mann" perhaps?

Got a few items in the mail today that I was really looking forward to.

First up a Mystic Waters Bay Rum from @Nightguard alleged to be only 80% full but appears to be more left in there than that to me. Thank you @Nightguard :) (this was in the mail box for a few days but I haven;t been to the office and thus unable to collect it).

i7DriBN.jpg

Next up the Razorock Wunderbar Slant

zFyhuqN.jpg

and last (but by no means least) a wonderful custom Rudy Vey brush with Shavemac 23mm 2 band fan knot. I was initially worried that this might be a bit small but as you will see in teh pictures below the knot blooms nicely and is just as big as my Thater 24mm bulb knots.

GI6Y44M.jpg

post test lather:

MZllJyZ.jpg

and post light towel drying:

uvzoqzJ.jpg

I can only imagine how nicely this knot is going to bloom after a few uses.

First impressions in comparison to the Shavemac D01 2 Band are that the knot is considerably less dense but because of this the flow through and lather release appears to be slightly better. Wonderful soft tips and excellent backbone. Whilst I do not feel that it will replace my D01 it will certainly accompany it nicely :)
Good day at work then @nsavage !
I'm interested to hear how you find that Wonderbar.

Wow!!! i was considering getting one of those a while back. how long does a blade last you for comfortable shave?
No idea yet for me - I've only had one shave with it!
I've heard ranges of 8 shaves to 40. I'm guessing much depends on the strength of the beard, the number of passes per shave and the blade chosen at the time. For example, Feather's Super Pro blades are thicker, with more exposure and are meant to last longer than the Pro blades. No idea about the Kai blades which I'm currently using (the guard version).

Now I need to buy all the blade variants to see what is best for me - I can see years of experimentation and learning up ahead!

Received a Rockwell 6s in the mail today.

I have heard a lot of good reports about this razor so keen to find out what all of the fuss is about.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding some info on the different plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.