Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Looking forward to seeing some CHARITY AUCTION acquisitions here!

So... in my excitement in purchasing a titanium brush handle from Boti for USD75 shipped, I neglected to properly scrutinize the dimensions...

It's a wee one... and also quite hollow, obviously to save weight and material cost.
IMG-0953.jpg
IMG-0954.jpg

in any event, the timberwolf knot I got from wetshavingco's EOFY sale is a good fit proportionally and aesthetically.
IMG-0956.jpg

Any suggestions on how to glue this? Glue around the base, set it and pray? Fill in the cavity with washers? Clay from a mystic river?

So... in my excitement in purchasing a titanium brush handle from Boti for USD75 shipped, I neglected to properly scrutinize the dimensions...

It's a wee one... and also quite hollow, obviously to save weight and material cost.
IMG-0953.jpg
IMG-0954.jpg

in any event, the timberwolf knot I got from wetshavingco's EOFY sale is a good fit proportionally and aesthetically.
IMG-0956.jpg

Any suggestions on how to glue this? Glue around the base, set it and pray? Fill in the cavity with washers? Clay from a mystic river?
Paging @TroyTools

IMG-0953.jpg
IMG-0954.jpg

IMG-0956.jpg

Fill the cavity with Cork and seal it with silicone to set the knot?

IMG-0953.jpg
IMG-0954.jpg

IMG-0956.jpg

All depends on how heavy you want it to be. But use washers, either stainless or nylon, in a big stack. And yeah, set the knot with silicone. Interesting looking handle BTW, it certainly stands out from the crowd. (y)

If you want a bit more heft/weight to it, then the stainless washer option is good. I'd be using 2 part epoxy glue (Araldite) to fix permanently anything inside the base. Just make sure you whatever use really well, you don't want it coming loose and giving you a rattle for a brush.
Filling it with Araldite is a pricey option, but it will drill out in the future if you ever wanted to. The cork sounds good and light weight.
Be careful with nylon/plastic washers, especially if they are unbranded (found) they may in fact be made of HDPE, and glue does not stick to that.

As for the knot, Silicone for temporary/DIY knot swaps etc. Silicone is easier to release than 2 part epoxy glue (araldite). Use the 2 part epoxy to fix the knot permanently if that's what you want. You can still release the glue for knot change, but it takes longer exposure to hot steam.
Basically, do your measurements, know where you want the floor of the knot socket to come up to, set that with your chosen material, let it set/dry/harden, whichever is applicable, then install your knot on top of it. I wouldn't recommend a one step installation, too easy to go wrong.

If you want a bit more heft/weight to it, then the stainless washer option is good. I'd be using 2 part epoxy glue (Araldite) to fix permanently anything inside the base. Just make sure you whatever use really well, you don't want it coming loose and giving you a rattle for a brush.
Filling it with Araldite is a pricey option, but it will drill out in the future if you ever wanted to. The cork sounds good and light weight.
Be careful with nylon/plastic washers, especially if they are unbranded (found) they may in fact be made of HDPE, and glue does not stick to that.

As for the knot, Silicone for temporary/DIY knot swaps etc. Silicone is easier to release than 2 part epoxy glue (araldite). Use the 2 part epoxy to fix the knot permanently if that's what you want. You can still release the glue for knot change, but it takes longer exposure to hot steam.
Basically, do your measurements, know where you want the floor of the knot socket to come up to, set that with your chosen material, let it set/dry/harden, whichever is applicable, then install your knot on top of it. I wouldn't recommend a one step installation, too easy to go wrong.
Thanks! The handle is 60g, which in hand feels like a good weight (without knot).

I recently used 2mm thick silicone washers/spacers to increase the loft of a couple of knots I set into handles.

I simple filled the handle with araldite, dropped the washers in an set the knot on top and allowed to set for 24 hours.
Worked out awesome!!

Don't use any material, you can't easily drill out.

If you use stainless steel washers for example and you want to change the knot in a couple of years, it becomes an issue.

This handle should last a couple of generations - at least - no knot will last that long...

Cork sounds like a good option. I made spacer from scrap timber.
If you want to minimize weight What about polystyrene from freezer box at local supermarket?
Would be OK for silicone not sure about epoxy because glue does melt it. Works for fishing floats

Cork sounds like a good option. I made spacer from scrap timber.
If you want to minimize weight What about polystyrene from freezer box at local supermarket?
Would be OK for silicone not sure about epoxy because glue does melt it. Works for fishing floats
Personally, I would have thought something completely rigid would fit the bill a bit better. I wouldn't want any kind of substrate that might wobble, even slightly. @alfredus mentioned reservations about being able to remove stainless washers, but in my experience all I've had to do is drill out any glue from the middle, drop in a mandrel of the same size, give it a nudge to one side and the washers will just pop straight out. Of course, I don't use washers that fit too snugly in the hole, otherwise there's a risk of cracking something.

What handle is that next to the blackland stand on the left next to the brush?

Luna can't speak english to tell your angry wifey
Feline intuition ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

Its a Timeless TRH5: Dimpled Design 14mm x 85mm US$35 from scratch & dent

Edit: ...and if anyone is wondering the stand in bottom left is a Timeless Titanium stand may need to give it a light polish to match the razor. If you can hand polish titanium, that is?

Edit: ...and if anyone is wondering the stand in bottom left is a Timeless Titanium stand may need to give it a light polish to match the razor. If you can hand polish titanium, that is?

I had to pause there ... that I didn't accidentally pack my titanium timeless stand. Enjoy the modularity of the Timeless razors. The bronze, steel and titanium parts are all interchangeable. The brass handle adds a nice heft to the titanium plate/cap if you have it.

You'll have no trouble hand polishing titanium, just use wet & dry, and be ready to swap to fresh sheets frequently.