Post Your Rant of the Day

I agree Kissinger was a smart cookie (excellent SBS docu on with him recently) and that governments have to make tough decisions that have far reaching implications often on short notice - but thats the nature of things & I'm pretty sure this was known before anyone signed up to it. Really even since the turn of the last century the US has been the biggest kid on the global block, so from a moral perspective that brings with it more responsibility to get decisions right. End of story, no 3rd party blaming etc. Yet time after time they've half-cooked their homework and gone in all guns blazing only the realise when they're already in too deep they've misjudged or not even been aware of some very basic fundamental issues and then instead of making a hasty retreat they've had to stay and TRY to polish a turd as they can't bring themselves to lose face by leaving.

Whilst its one thing to have an instant decision blow up on a 50/50 call there's innumerable ballsups that they've just hung in with or never bothered to correct as they CBF'd or simply don't have anyone holding a gun to their head. The thing that REALLY shytes me about the USA's foreign policy is their blatant duplicity, they'll get up on their soap box and tell you how they're the greatest country on earth, champion of democracy and human rights blah blah blah.....and yet in reality they'll BLATANTLY change the rules or contravene exactly what they've used as the basis for acting in one sphere because it suits them.

The entire Vietnam war is a wonderful example of the USA's foreign policy disasters....you're really spoilt for choice on that one. Even to the present day where tens of thousands of Vietnamese who've overwhelming evidence they've suffered from the widespread use of defoliants (e.g agent orange) - and yet not a single cent of compensation has been paid to them ....yet compensation was paid many years ago to American servicemen & citizens who had exactly the same complaints. But thats really a very soft example and there's too many to chose from.

How about the Syphillis testing the US Defence force did on poor naive folks down in Honduras or wherever it was (recently in the news)? Didn't tell them or anything and gave them whats a terminal and horrible disease so they could test drugs on them without their knowledge.

Guantanemo Bay.....still there, still ignoring the UN Human Rights charter & Geneva convention because they can.....'enhanced interrogation' as a sanctioned policy & renditions to 3rd party countries/centres for more rigourous attention. 3,000+ poor souls were killed in 9/11 - a tragic murder no doubt but how many children have numerous reports estimated died as a direct result of the trade sanctions placed on Iraq? Or killed in Vietnam when they 'carpet bombed' Vietnam, Cambodia etc?

Honestly if folks have a clue they'd almost be either falling over laughing or crying at the blatant duplicity - when the 'Arab Spring' commenced hardly a day went past that a White House spokesman didn't put their support in for human rights and also people being able to vote and form a democracy....and yet one of the USA's closest allies is Saudia Arabia, who receives billions of dollars of preferential arms sales, training and other benefits and yet has a ghastly human rights record (stonings, lynchings in the middle of streets on a crane for adultery/homosexuality etc) and is essentially a dictatorship run by the one horribly corrupt family since it was formed. Oh but they have the worlds biggest known oil reserves.

Haha anyway....I just have a major issue with bullying, duplicity & straight out injustices. Whats that old saying, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Anyone really think the USA's foreign policy would get a warm reception if it were reversed back on them by a greater power? For us its a discussion point, but for thousands if not prolly millions of nameless folks its been a tad more than that.

There is lots of academic research including self identification by journalists that put them to the left of centre politically. Those involved in public broadcasting tend to be even further left. So conservative parties (Republican or Coalition here) are usually not big fans of public broadcasting.
Whilst I'm not doubting this could be the case I'd be a tad dubious of who these studies were funded by etc. Such things do tend to leave themselves open to being manipulated by 3rd parties with vested interests. And at the end of the day the most fundamental thing taught to any prospective journos is to be neutral/balanced in ones approach. Now in reality I'll agree this is basically impossible as we're humans and flawed completely but straying too overtly to being seen as imbalanced would surely be a very good way to put a rationale out there to lose your job if you've got a public broadcaster as your employer.

I really think this argument is much a mountain out of a molehill as generally the right of politics has much more $$$ to throw at lobby groups, marketing campaigns etc and so they have become very sensitive to anyone asking the tough questions....as the private sector broadcasters will shy away from this as they know which side their bread is buttered on - but the public sector dares to ask these and so its automatically branded as leftist. So I think this is massively overstated.

Secondly, even if one were to concede this point surely someone needs to bring a vague semblance of balance to the overall landscape as the private sector broadcasters seem to me (generally I avoid them like the plague itself) to be definitely to the right. The most obvious example being Fox News in the US, which has almost become a figure of public lampooning...yet alarmingly is what a lot of yanks swear by. So I'd be very surprised given their generally VERY LOW ratings across the board if public broadcasters go anywhere close to balancing this out e.g I'm sure ABC & SBS are the two lowest rated TV broadcaster in Oz and I'd imagine its similar for PBS in the USA.

Last edited:
There is lots of academic research including self identification by journalists that put them to the left of centre politically. Those involved in public broadcasting tend to be even further left. So conservative parties (Republican or Coalition here) are usually not big fans of public broadcasting.

This idea has been around a long time, and I think it's a myth.

Being of a certain age, I do listen to and watch ABC, and for every accusation of left bias, you can find half a dozen skewerings of Labour pollies by the likes of Tony Jones et al. The thing with the public broadcaster is you do get analysis and questions and thought-prodding, and I find they do try to hold both sides to equal account. Although that's harder to do when you have one party in power for a decade, and this only serves to reinforce the idea of bias, especially when that party is the Libs.

Analysis doesn't rate well enough for the commercials, so they just have news programs full of headlines, that allow political staffers to organise appropriate sound and video bites for their MPs. Add to that the format and content of 'news' is riddles with awful alliteration, emotive adjectives and, if we're honest, it's getting harder to separate them from the current affairs dross that follows them. As Johnus has suggested, I think the US has already gone a long way down this path and if people are going to have an intelligent political opinion, they have to research what's really going on and being done by govts, because you won't see anything of substance at 6pm.

It was Walter Kronkite who said Australia was a country with too many journalists and not enough news. What you get then is too much trivial stuff being given news status, and a focus on easy news like petty crime and car death (which are then perceived as being far bigger problems than they really are), along with too many reporters wanting to be infotainment celebrities, by creating unnecessary drama and urgency. We've recently seen Channel 10 late night news program turn into a mate-fest, with a band to wrap things up. It's news-lite at its most obvious.

Last edited:
...........schools in the US are very reluctant to fail students or make subjects too rigorous. The paperwork involved in appeals etc is too complicated....

Litigious ad absurdum........ Did you know (there are endless observations about the US that start with those three words) that there are more lawyers in the US than the rest of the world combined?

That's my rant for the day.

Next you're going to tell me that Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real!!!

Lets pick on France for awhile!

Johnus,
Don't worry too much about the law suit thing, Australia is not far behind the US, infact Sydney is the 3rd most litigious city in the world.

Ah, the French, as DAAS used to say, "What do we thin of the French?" And the audience would yell in reply, "BASTARDS!"

Fair point - as I think I mentioned in one of my posts the old world colonial powers (Britain & France being the main offenders, Spain, Portugal & Holland a long way back) were being complete bastards to the rest of the world long before the USA was even colonised. Britain and France did some absolutely outlandish stuff thats been long forgotten and a LOT of stuff thats VERY recent as well (Vietnam was France's initial clusterphark & Britain did so much harm in Africa!).

On an interesting side note I recently finished an excellent book called 'Torture & Democracy' - very very good and talks about the very disturbing trend of torture coming back into 'acceptability' amongst the general public & also western governments despite the obvious contradictions this poses for a more civilised world.

A lot of people think that the Nazis and the Gestapo were the biggest influencers/fathers of modern torture, which is actually regarded as something of a science/craft. We've all seen those movies with the poor resistance member being worked over by leather wearing gestapo right?

Well in reality the 2 nations that most heavily influenced modern torture are France and the USA. The French have a very long history of it and used it exceptionally widely through their colonies (as all the powers did but the French really had their own structured techniques etc) - and the USA are a bit of a surprise but they've a dark history of it too - particularly amongst certain police forces. Anything that involves electricity comes from the USA, they developed this.

ANyway its a fascinating read, though admittedly not everyone's cup of tea - it does shine a light on what are otherwise very dark realms of behaviour that is so widespread & sanctioned that its quite shocking. Whilst reading it one can't help but put yourself in the victims position and it just makes your skin crawl at the thought of what these inumerable poor faceless, nameless souls endured.

Next you're going to tell me that Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real!!!

The difference being, you actually have to be in Paris for the French to piss you off. Once you're there, they are world class at it.

I worked with a Frenchman once, and I related my tales of Parisian visits. His response was, "Parisians are scum". That's how good they are at pissing people off.

Again we vary Nick...

the Belgian's and the Portuguese were much worse colonials than the English and the French ;):p

Again we vary Nick...

the Belgian's and the Portuguese were much worse colonials than the English and the French ;):p

Hmmm unsure how one'd arrive at this decision as they unless you're privvy to information I don't the only rational assessment I could draw is that they were all basically as bad as each other, BUT the key difference is that in the grand scheme of things the Belgians & Porto's had a lot less colonies than the others. So thats the only reason I rate them below the others.....the sheer number of their crimes, rather than the actual nature of the crimes themselves.

They were all really just as bad as each other........to say that the French were better/nicer colonial masters than the Dutch or the Belgians or vice versa is kinda a discussion to go no where as the list of crimes and horrific incidents on either side of the ledger is infinitely vast. Some have slightly more prominent incidents but I'd say a LOT of this has to do with who wrote the history and the spin they'd subsequently placed upon this.

They were all horrible and its kinda sad that even to this dat a lot of people have a very low opinion of Africa and indeed Africans, seeing them as corrupt, simple savages who perpetuate their own problems.....but alas the shadow of colonialism still hangs over the entire continent. Oh and then they had 30yrs or so of the cold war leading to countless mini-wars in absentia - massive dumping of weapons there when the Iron curtain came down and now China coming in an propping up a bunch of dodgy regimes etc, so yet another round of resource grabbing is well underway.

Could have been worse... On vacation right now in Florida. The day before I left for Florida I took my 2010 HYUNDAI ELANTRA to the dealer to have a new transmission put in , luckily under warranty!, while I was to to gone. Received a phone message from the H Dealer while having lunch with Shamu at Sea World. "Good new your new transmission is installed!" "Bad news another customer drove into the side of your car!" Again, luckily the women's insurance is paying for the door! Now trying to get that done before I return.

Lane Splitting Motorcyclists

That's right.

I am officially anti-dickhead motorcyclist.

I've ridden before and I know you feel as if you are not subject to the same rules as everyone else on the road.

Also as you have to be so vigilant maybe you feel that you deserve to be able to just ride through any situation and ignore the traffic flow because, hey, you're on a bike and thus more important, right?

I'm sick of seeing bikes ride up the middle of a road just to get to the front of the line and they do this not only in stopped traffic but in moving traffic.

My rant is not just based on danger and disregard for the road rules; I get pissed off that these turkeys get to push in ahead of me and it's accepted by other road users.

Imagine if I came to a traffic light and there was a bike in the front spot, and so I pushed my car in beside them and nosed slightly in front. Never gonna happen is it?

Anyway it really pisses me off seeing bike riders push through traffic with absolute disregard for other motorists. If the rules don't apply to you, get off my road and catch a bus.

Last edited:
I cycle, drive, and used to ride a motorbike.

I will not ride a motorbike on Australian roads, and try not to ride my pushie because of car drivers complete disregard for road rules.

I agree there are some dickhead bike riders (both powered and non powered), but the wanker car drivers far outnumber either of those. Five times in the last week that I rode my pushie in, cars either swerved into the bike lane, or turned into it without a look for either pedestrian, cyclist or any other road user.

Basically what I am trying to say is that I treat all other road users as complete and utter tossers unless they prove otherwise. However, I don't begrudge motorbike riders from filtering through stationary traffic if they can do it in a safe manner (not like the moped riders I encountered in Malaysia last week).

Now that's a proper rant.

As a motorbike rider I tend to agree eggbert. When I use my push bike I'm too scared to go on the roads. There is this complete hatred of anything other than cars which includes pedestrians, cyclists, mothers with prams you name it.

Last edited:
Spleen venting time

I absolutely and utterly abhore hate and even get extremely irritated by people behind a counter who come up to serve you with the expression "You Roight" usually young females. Now I do understand that working behind the Deli counter of a major retailer is probably not the fulfillment of their dreams and wishes but I shudder to think what kind of training has occured that allows that phrase to be regarded as in any way acceptable. I have finally trained the girls at my local butcher that the phrase is not to be used. They have a ticket system so when asked "You Roight" I always responded "Yes thank you and You?" This of course created vast consternation as I had the right ticket number so they couldnt wander off and serve someone else. In the initial training stages you could see their little brains straining so hard their pimples would almost pop from the effort until they would stammer out " What would you like" or some derivation thereof. Now of course the old hands have some idea of what my number may be and try to manipulate a new girl to serve me. I am tempted the next time someone uses that phrase to go into lenghty details about the state of my aching bleeding piles and see whether I can scare them away from retail for life.
It is always the little things in life that give us the biggest shits ( which of course do nothing for my aching bleeding piles) :)

That gets the rant of the day award. Well done, Glen "bleedin' piles" Thomas.

Well thank you PJ thank you very much, but of course an award such as this is never the work of one individual so in tradition of all such awards I would like to thank

A dubious diet

My proctoligist without whom I would not be sitting on this rubber ring cushion

And last but no means least a 62 year old sphincter (all good things must come to an end , and this is the end they come to).

Please people go on with your dinner and let the image fade from your mind (if you can) :)

Thank you gentlemen for the best laugh I've had for a while.

On a similar note can I add the bum fluff ridden BigW boys who ask 'waddya want mate'. Apart from SOOOOOOO not being his mate being old enough to be his father I think I deserve to be spoken to with a modicum of respect...

[/RANT]

Last edited: